Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

Default Cleaning mica panels in a toaster

I've searched the 'net, and can't believe I can't find the answer to this
one. I'm sure this group can come up trumps.

I have a Dualit toaster, that is no longer toasting evenly. The elements are
covered with transparent panels, as clear as glass, but look like they could
be mica (the edges are slightly flaky). The mica panels are covered in
white, crusty spots (probably cheese and butter splashes).

So - what can I use to clean these deposits? The panels are very clear, and
I don't want to use anything that will abrade the surfaces. A dry toothbrush
alone does not get the deposits off, and I am a bit wary of using water or
soap.

Any suggestions?

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Blueyonder" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've searched the 'net, and can't believe I can't find the answer to this
one. I'm sure this group can come up trumps.

I have a Dualit toaster, that is no longer toasting evenly. The elements
are covered with transparent panels, as clear as glass, but look like they
could be mica (the edges are slightly flaky). The mica panels are covered
in white, crusty spots (probably cheese and butter splashes).

So - what can I use to clean these deposits? The panels are very clear,
and I don't want to use anything that will abrade the surfaces. A dry
toothbrush alone does not get the deposits off, and I am a bit wary of
using water or soap.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to know that too!

Also, what gauge of wire to use to replace the elements.

Mary

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

Also, what gauge of wire to use to replace the elements.

It's nickel-chromium wire, and the guage of wire will depend
on the model. Often it's in a ribbon profile. I have repaired
them sometimes by crimping broken ends together, but you have
to be very careful a loose end isn't going to be able to
touch something it shouldn't. A bootlace ferrule is the
right thing to crimp with, but a folded over steel washer
lasted about 20 years before it needed replacing in a 50
year old Russell Hobs toaster. Nearly all breakages of
toaster wires I've come across have been due to poking
cutlery into the toaster, never to the wire burning out.
I've seen a small number of cases where the failure was
due to a bad connection at one end of the wire too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Blueyonder" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've searched the 'net, and can't believe I can't find the answer to this
one. I'm sure this group can come up trumps.

I have a Dualit toaster, that is no longer toasting evenly. The elements
are covered with transparent panels, as clear as glass, but look like
they could be mica (the edges are slightly flaky). The mica panels are
covered in white, crusty spots (probably cheese and butter splashes).

So - what can I use to clean these deposits? The panels are very clear,
and I don't want to use anything that will abrade the surfaces. A dry
toothbrush alone does not get the deposits off, and I am a bit wary of
using water or soap.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to know that too!

Also, what gauge of wire to use to replace the elements.

It is definately mica. It covers the elements in approx 8cm square pieces,
rivetted on, each piece slightly overlapping.

I wouldn't like to guess at the element wires themselves though. As well as
the guage, there is the material to take account of - it won't be plain
copper for sure.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

The only effective way to clean the mica is to wet wash them. Its not
usually needed though. Mica should be treated as semi fragile. For the
sake of anyone thinking of self darwinating, yes you need to give it a
full week to dry out properly afterwards.

Element wire is easier to rejoin than replace, but the join is always
at risk of oxidising and refrying.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Blueyonder wrote:

Any suggestions?

-- JJ

Buy a new toaster.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sewer Rat

[...]

I had to replace an element in one of these when a currant from a teacake
carbonised and shorted the thing out.

http://www.chromekitchen.co.uk sell replacement elements, they're quite
fast at delivering them too. The new mica elements can also replace the
older style ones.

HTH

--
Sewer Rat

"We're all in it together, kid"
- Archibald "Harry" Tuttle

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 13:26:49 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Blueyonder wrote:

Any suggestions?

Buy a new toaster.

It's a Dualit - that's 135 quid if it's the 4 gang version. New elements
from Dualit are cheaper though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Blueyonder wrote:

Any suggestions?

-- JJ

Buy a new toaster.

Do you buy a new car when your ashtray is full?

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Very mild soap and water seemed to work okay. I used a small bit of cloth
wrapped around a stick to get right inside, and it removed a lot of dirt
(very slow though). The mica looks as good as new now, but I'm going to let
it dry for a few days before plugging it in.

-- JJ

YQ-95 II Saws type cement concrete road surface crack cleaning machine [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 06 12:20 AM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM