Boilers at B and Q

Old March 29th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boilers at B and Q

I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and replace
10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me quotes, one as
high as 4500. One however told me to go to B and Q and pick up a
Ravenheat boiler pack - 87,000 BTU 11 litres per second, complete with
7 radiators ( and thermostatic valves ). Factor in the extra three rads
I need and the 10% OAP discount, it seems I can get the whole lot for
pretty much bang on a grand.

Does any one have experience of these packs. The price seems great, but
what of the quality. I haven't heard Ravenheat.

Old March 29th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:57:15 -0800, JavaEnquirer wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and replace
10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me quotes, one as
high as 4500. One however told me to go to B and Q and pick up a
Ravenheat boiler pack - 87,000 BTU 11 litres per second, complete with
7 radiators ( and thermostatic valves ). Factor in the extra three rads
I need and the 10% OAP discount, it seems I can get the whole lot for
pretty much bang on a grand.

Does any one have experience of these packs. The price seems great, but
what of the quality. I haven't heard Ravenheat.

How long do you want the boiler to last? Ravenheat are certainly cheaper
than, say, Worcester-Bosch or Vaillant but it's like whether you buy, say,
a Bosch, Siemens or Miele washing machine rather than a cheaper brand. The
cheaper model _may_ last as long and require as little repair, and when it
packs up you just buy a new one and the suppliers will bring it round and
install it for you for little or no extra cost. However replacing a boiler
is much more expensive (apart from the cost of the boiler itself) so I'd
really suggest getting a good one despite the extra cost.

At the moment Worcester-Bosch and Vaillant (and maybe Gloworm?) seem to be
mainstream manufacturers with good products whereas the traditional safe
buys Potterton and possibly Ideal have rather tarnished reputations in
recent years. I'll put on my fireproof overalls now as there's likely to
be a flame war starting :-)

Old March 29th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

all good advice, the biasi boilers at B&Q are also worth a punt.
given the savings to be had at B&Q the OP could make, it would
not be too daft to build in the /potential/ cost of a new boiler in 6
years time, *if* a "cheap" boiler *does* fail, which is unlikely.

most plumbers I know buy heating packs from B&Q due to the price.
seems that merchants can't match the buying power of B&Q.

if the OP can wait until easter I'm certain that there will be a 20%
off everything special offer which will bring the price right down.
and he would be advised to get the honest plumber who told him
about B&Q to install the system. see if he will take 750 cash for
the install, if he does, go for it.

hth

Old March 29th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

A lot of the plumbers I've spoken to also mention Baxi, I thought these
were well respected too, but presumably not as much as Worcester-Bosch
and Vaillant.

Old March 29th 06, 07:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
JavaEnquirer wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and
replace 10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me
quotes, one as high as 4500. One however told me to go to B and Q
and pick up a Ravenheat boiler pack

The problem doing it this way would be if something goes wrong and the
plumber says it's a boiler fault and B&Q say it's the plumber's fault.

a plumber honest enough to point the OP towards a heat pack
from B&Q is unlikely to lie about a faulty part. (yoda)

Old March 29th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:12:54 -0800, JavaEnquirer wrote:

A lot of the plumbers I've spoken to also mention Baxi, I thought these
were well respected too, but presumably not as much as Worcester-Bosch
and Vaillant.

Sorry forgot to mention: they're part of Potterton now and AFAIK share
their current reputation for lack of reliability.

TBH it's a bad time to be replacing a boiler: prices of good condensing
boilers are still almost as high as when they were a premium choice, and
of course most of the condensing boilers on the market are fairly new
so it's quite possible that, say, Worcester-Bosch's new condensing
range may have problems much as Potterton's recent standard-efficiency
designs have.

Old March 30th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Owain wrote:
JavaEnquirer wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and
replace 10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me
quotes, one as high as ?4500. One however told me to go to B and Q
and pick up a Ravenheat boiler pack

The problem doing it this way would be if something goes wrong and the
plumber says it's a boiler fault and B&Q say it's the plumber's fault.

a plumber honest enough to point the OP towards a heat pack
from B&Q is unlikely to lie about a faulty part. (yoda)

Wheras B&Q never lie, and are complete experts on plumbing, able to
assess, simply on looking at you, if it's been installed correctly.

Old March 30th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
. wrote:
Owain wrote:
JavaEnquirer wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and
replace 10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me
quotes, one as high as ?4500. One however told me to go to B and Q
and pick up a Ravenheat boiler pack

The problem doing it this way would be if something goes wrong and
the plumber says it's a boiler fault and B&Q say it's the plumber's
fault.

a plumber honest enough to point the OP towards a heat pack
from B&Q is unlikely to lie about a faulty part. (yoda)

Wheras B&Q never lie, and are complete experts on plumbing, able to
assess, simply on looking at you, if it's been installed correctly.

the same can be said for any of the merchants/suppliers I've used
but, ateotd, a defective part is a defective part. (me)

Old March 30th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
. wrote:
Owain wrote:
JavaEnquirer wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and
replace 10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me
quotes, one as high as ?4500. One however told me to go to B and Q
and pick up a Ravenheat boiler pack

The problem doing it this way would be if something goes wrong and
the plumber says it's a boiler fault and B&Q say it's the plumber's
fault.

a plumber honest enough to point the OP towards a heat pack
from B&Q is unlikely to lie about a faulty part. (yoda)

Wheras B&Q never lie, and are complete experts on plumbing, able to
assess, simply on looking at you, if it's been installed correctly.

the same can be said for any of the merchants/suppliers I've used
but, ateotd, a defective part is a defective part. (me)

addendum: in fact, I'd say that B&Q's returns policy is far *better* than
any merchants /because/ of the fact that there are no 'experts' there
who are able to contradict a customer. every time I've returned anything
the B&Q the young lady at the dedicated returns desk has only been
interested in the reciept and not the reason for return.

think about it.

Old March 30th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
. wrote:
Owain wrote:
JavaEnquirer wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and
replace 10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me
quotes, one as high as ?4500. One however told me to go to B and Q
and pick up a Ravenheat boiler pack

The problem doing it this way would be if something goes wrong and
the plumber says it's a boiler fault and B&Q say it's the plumber's
fault.

a plumber honest enough to point the OP towards a heat pack
from B&Q is unlikely to lie about a faulty part. (yoda)

Wheras B&Q never lie, and are complete experts on plumbing, able to
assess, simply on looking at you, if it's been installed correctly.

the same can be said for any of the merchants/suppliers I've used
but, ateotd, a defective part is a defective part. (me)

The problem is not that B&Q, or the plumber are dishonest.
The problem is that if it goes wrong, there is no clear liable party.

If you hand the plumber the money, and say "build me a central heating
system", then it's entirely his problem if it doesn't work.
If his suppliers claim that the heating doesn't work properly due to his
installation, that's his responsability.
If you buy the bits, and hand it to him, it can end up with no clear
responsibility on who should get your heating working.

3 pass vs conventional boilers [email protected] Home Repair 10 January 26th 06 09:16 PM
Condensing Boilers & Fuel Prices RedOnRed UK diy 33 October 20th 05 09:34 AM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Suitable bath taps for combi boilers First Network UK diy 1 February 11th 05 02:40 PM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM