High pressure vs. low pressure ball valves.

Old March 27th 06, 04:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default High pressure vs. low pressure ball valves.

Hi,
The ball valve in our cold water header tank seems to be causing some
knocking and
generally seems to be due for a change (intermittent overflow for
example). In my local
B&Q there are two varieties of valve: high and low pressure. My
Collin's DIY manual gives
no guidance on this subject so I'm wondering if there is some decisive
factor in which to use.
The house is a normal two storey semi with a good mains pressure.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Peter.

Old March 27th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Mar 2006 07:35:40 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi,
The ball valve in our cold water header tank seems to be causing some
knocking and
generally seems to be due for a change (intermittent overflow for
example). In my local
B&Q there are two varieties of valve: high and low pressure. My
Collin's DIY manual gives
no guidance on this subject so I'm wondering if there is some decisive
factor in which to use.
The house is a normal two storey semi with a good mains pressure.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Peter.

Low pressure types are intended for toilets etc. that are filled from
the roof tank.

For the mains feed to the roof tank, a high pressure valve should be
used unless the mains pressure is really low.

Since you are changing, it would be a good opportunity to fit an
equilibrium float valve such as a Torbeck.

These are quite inexpensive and as well as operating a lot more
quietly than the traditional Portsmouth type, have a clean shut off.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 27th 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

p_telford wrote:
The ball valve in our cold water header tank seems to be causing some
knocking and
generally seems to be due for a change (intermittent overflow for
example). In my local
B&Q there are two varieties of valve: high and low pressure. My
Collin's DIY manual gives
no guidance on this subject so I'm wondering if there is some decisive
factor in which to use.
The house is a normal two storey semi with a good mains pressure.
Thanks in advance for any advice,

It's mains pressure, so use the high-pressure cone. The low
pressure ones are for gravity-fed stuff (e.g. the bathroom WC).
Old March 27th 06, 06:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

These are quite inexpensive and as well as operating a lot more
quietly than the traditional Portsmouth type, have a clean shut off.

The potential drawback is that where previously you may not have had any
resonance as the valve shuts, with a Torbeck type valve you sometimes
get a mighty slam as it closes. It's down to loose pipework, and isn't
really the fault of the valve, but it's often a ******* to track down
where it's loose.

--
Skipweasel
Old March 27th 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:58:28 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Hi,
The ball valve in our cold water header tank seems to be causing some
knocking and
generally seems to be due for a change (intermittent overflow for
example). In my local
B&Q there are two varieties of valve: high and low pressure. My
Collin's DIY manual gives
no guidance on this subject so I'm wondering if there is some decisive
factor in which to use.
The house is a normal two storey semi with a good mains pressure.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Peter.

High pressure are for mains input - as your header tank will be. Low
pressure are for toilets etc. fed by gravity from header tanks rather than
being directly connected to the mains.

Many modern torbeck-type valves are suitable for either - and are supplied
with 2 or more flow restrictors. You fit the appropriate restrictor
depending on the supply pressure.

Likewise the bog standard diaphragm type float valve only differs in the
size of the nozzle (white for high pressure with about a 3mm hole and red
for low pressure with about an 8mm hole).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk