Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How can I best fit adjustable shelves in solid wall cupboard ?

I was original going to fit this type of bracket
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/42/p1384042_l.jpg

However the drawback on this type is the space below the shelve that
one has to leave.

Ideally I like the ones that are fitted to bookcases. ie 4 clips, 2 on
each side (similar to kitchen shelves).

But other than fixing a board either side, I can't figure out how best
to do this.

If I do fit a board either side, it will certainly make it look better
inside the cupboard. But I've never fitted bookcase version that can be
seen here
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/50/p1388750_l.jpg

Do I need to router out a groove for this type ? If so has anyone
reading this done this before ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:
I was original going to fit this type of bracket
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/42/p1384042_l.jpg

However the drawback on this type is the space below the shelve that
one has to leave.

Ideally I like the ones that are fitted to bookcases. ie 4 clips, 2 on
each side (similar to kitchen shelves).

But other than fixing a board either side, I can't figure out how best
to do this.

If I do fit a board either side, it will certainly make it look better
inside the cupboard. But I've never fitted bookcase version that can
be seen here
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/50/p1388750_l.jpg

Do I need to router out a groove for this type ? If so has anyone
reading this done this before ?

Yes that type of shelving bracket does look nice when fitted flush with the
surface of the wood, however not necessary needed flush if you don't mind
it showing.
and a router is needed if you do needed it recessed into wood.

--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 2 Mar 2006 09:20:23 -0800, "
wrote:

I was original going to fit this type of bracket
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/42/p1384042_l.jpg

However the drawback on this type is the space below the shelve that
one has to leave.

Ideally I like the ones that are fitted to bookcases. ie 4 clips, 2 on
each side (similar to kitchen shelves).

But other than fixing a board either side, I can't figure out how best
to do this.

If I do fit a board either side, it will certainly make it look better
inside the cupboard. But I've never fitted bookcase version that can be
seen here
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/50/p1388750_l.jpg

You could surface mount the rails, but then you either have to cut
pieces out of each shelf to accommodate them or have a gap at each
side - neither very pretty.

The other thing to watch out for is strength. The Spur ones that you
illustrated first are steel and have a considerable load bearing
capacity. Many of these smaller products have aluminium components
and are nowhere near as strong.

Do I need to router out a groove for this type ? If so has anyone
reading this done this before ?

A router is one way - probably the most typical. A grooving cutter on
a table saw could also be used.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

wrote:

Ideally I like the ones that are fitted to bookcases. ie 4 clips, 2 on
each side (similar to kitchen shelves).

But other than fixing a board either side, I can't figure out how best
to do this.

If I do fit a board either side, it will certainly make it look better
inside the cupboard. But I've never fitted bookcase version that can be
seen here
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/50/p1388750_l.jpg

Do I need to router out a groove for this type ? If so has anyone
reading this done this before ?

If you have vertical timber surfaces either side of the shelf, then
there's no doubt that routing grooves is the neatest way to go. However,
I've used these fittings to put shelves in an open alcove where there
was plastered brick on both sides (fittings screwed directly to the
walls), and they look OK. I think if you're fitting them inside of a
cupboard, you wouldn't see the slight gaps at either end anyway.

One caveat - shelves fitted this way are vulnerable to sagging - mine
are 14mm contiboard, about 1 m by 20 cm. They're fine for what I put on
them, but I certainly couldn't fill them with books, for example.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Lobster" wrote in message

[...]

====================
These fittings (called 'Tonks fittings', I believe) are actually very strong
as they've been used in library shelves for many years. If you do want the
shelves to carry the weight of books then just use stronger shelving. The
fittings themselves will easily take the weight especially if they're fitted
in a routed rebate. It won't be a big job to rout the grooves as the
fittings are only about 3mm deep.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Cicero wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

[...]

Sure, I didn't mean to imply that the fittings were not strong; on the
contrary in fact: it's just that their design means you're only
supporting the shelf at its ends and not along its length. So yes, you
need particularly beefy (or short!) shelves if you're going to put any
reasonable weight on them.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
[...]

What did they use before routers were invented?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

wrote in message
ups.com...

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
[...]

==================
Many years ago I used something like this (the large parallel type) in a
hand drill held in a Black & Decker bench mount:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060621490

It was hard work but worth it for the result. A modern cheap router would
make easy work of the job.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

[...]

[...]