Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M. Procida

Default Wiring certificate and standards for household wiring

What exactly does the 'certificate' that I can apparently expect to
receive for electrical work nowadays take? Who should do the certifying?

Also, is it true that any wiring work which leaves mains cables clipped
to a skirting board is illegal?

Thanks,

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:21:11 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

What exactly does the 'certificate' that I can apparently expect to
receive for electrical work nowadays take? Who should do the certifying?

Also, is it true that any wiring work which leaves mains cables clipped
to a skirting board is illegal?

Thanks,

Daniele

Someone who is registered under Part-P (spit) can self-certify that their
work complies with the standards.
The customer then gets a certificate through the post (there may be other
mechanism) depending on which 'club' is involved.

If the work is not done by a registered electrician then Building Control
will issue the certificate of compliance.

:::::::::::

PVC Sheathed Twin and Earth may be clipped to the skirting board.
Behind the skirting would be unacceptable except in the 150mm nearest a
corner or protected by steel armour plate or more than 50mm deep.

This would quite probably be a good way under kitchen units but not
elsewhere on a visual aspect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
What exactly does the 'certificate' that I can apparently expect to
receive for electrical work nowadays take? Who should do the certifying?

thats to do with part p, which it appears less than 1% of people are
bothering to comply with.

Also, is it true that any wiring work which leaves mains cables clipped
to a skirting board is illegal?

no

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...
D.M. Procida wrote:
What exactly does the 'certificate' that I can apparently expect to
receive for electrical work nowadays take? Who should do the certifying?

thats to do with part p, which it appears less than 1% of people are
bothering to comply with.

Also, is it true that any wiring work which leaves mains cables clipped
to a skirting board is illegal?

no

NT

=================
Comments have been made in this NG about the insurance aspect.

The track record of insurance companies suggest that they would try to
avoid paying out if fire (or other) damage could be attributed to electrical
work not properly certified. Part P is a 'bogey man' for DIYers, so it's
worth getting the bit of paper for peace of mind.

Cic.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
D.M. Procida wrote:
What exactly does the 'certificate' that I can apparently expect to
receive for electrical work nowadays take? Who should do the certifying?

thats to do with part p, which it appears less than 1% of people are
bothering to comply with.

Also, is it true that any wiring work which leaves mains cables clipped
to a skirting board is illegal?

no

NT
Try this link to download the 44 page document P....http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1130906