Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Page

Default Partially Collapsed / Sagging Plaster Ceiling

I am trying to fix a plaster / lath ceiling. Near one corner, a section
approximately 2' square has fallen out, and the rest of that corner is
sagging visibly. It looks like the plaster has become detached from the
lath there, but the lath and joists seem solid. I have a few questions
about effecting a repair.

* Is it practical to only repair the damaged area? One option I was
considering was removing the sagging plaster and screwing plasterboard
into the joists below the sagging and the hole. However, it seems a
reasonable assumption that if one part of the ceiling is damaged, the
rest will be soon.

* Is it possible to screw entirely new plasterboard over the sagging
plaster, and the hole, and the existing ceiling? This seems perfectly
possible from reading
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/miscellaneous.html#repairing and similar, but
the problem is that the existing ceiling has stippled plaster.

* Regardless of which option above is best, is it cost-effective to do
the plasterboarding myself and then pay a plasterer to do the skimming,
or should I just get the plasterer to do the whole job if I'm not
planning on skimming it myself?

Thanks for any advice,

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Dave Page wrote:
I am trying to fix a plaster / lath ceiling. Near one corner, a
section approximately 2' square has fallen out, and the rest of that
corner is sagging visibly. It looks like the plaster has become
detached from the lath there, but the lath and joists seem solid. I
have a few questions about effecting a repair.

* Is it practical to only repair the damaged area? One option I was
considering was removing the sagging plaster and screwing plasterboard
into the joists below the sagging and the hole. However, it seems a
reasonable assumption that if one part of the ceiling is damaged, the
rest will be soon.

Correct.

* Is it possible to screw entirely new plasterboard over the sagging
plaster, and the hole, and the existing ceiling? This seems perfectly
possible from reading
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/miscellaneous.html#repairing and similar, but
the problem is that the existing ceiling has stippled plaster.

It doesn't matter if it's stippled or not, plasterboard screws come in a few
sizes and anything less than 3 inches is a POP*

* Regardless of which option above is best, is it cost-effective to do
the plasterboarding myself and then pay a plasterer to do the
skimming, or should I just get the plasterer to do the whole job if
I'm not planning on skimming it myself?

Better to ask individual plasterers, some want the boarding some don't, if
you lived near me and you boarded it and supplied the scrim and plaster I'd
do it for £100.
Expect to pay a plasterer £200..ish for supply and fit.

*
Piece Of P1$$

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:25:16 +0000, Dave Page
wrote:

* Regardless of which option above is best, is it cost-effective to do
the plasterboarding myself and then pay a plasterer to do the skimming,
or should I just get the plasterer to do the whole job if I'm not
planning on skimming it myself?

I plasterboarded over an existing cracked/sagging lath and plaster
ceiling about 18 months ago. I didn't skim it at all - just used
plasterboard jointing compound on all the joins, sanded to a smooth
finish, PVA'd it and painted it (using some Polyfiller-branded "no
cracks" ceiling paint). So far, so good; not a single crack or blemish.

If you don't mind a fair bit of mess, pulling down the old ceiling first
would be preferable. It is a blimmin' messy job though.
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote:

[...]

Do what I had done in my kitchen about 3 years ago and today the
ceiling is fine .It was L+P and to take it down would be both time
consuming and extremely messy ....Fix battens across the joists
through the existing ceiling at appropriate centres depending on what
size PB you are using then screw fix the PB to the strapping .Tape and
joing it ...It's relatively easy ...then seal and paint it
...Alternatively do the boarding and get it skimmed ..

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Page

Phil L wrote:

* Is it possible to screw entirely new plasterboard over the
sagging plaster, and the hole, and the existing ceiling? This seems
perfectly possible from reading
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/miscellaneous.html#repairing and similar,
but the problem is that the existing ceiling has stippled plaster.

It doesn't matter if it's stippled or not, plasterboard screws come
in a few sizes and anything less than 3 inches is a POP*

OK, so would I want to screw the new plasterboard directly onto the
stippled ceiling, or use spacers to leave a gap, or try to file off the
stippling somehow before screwing new board down?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:19:47 +0000, Dave Page
wrote:

Phil L wrote:

* Is it possible to screw entirely new plasterboard over the
sagging plaster, and the hole, and the existing ceiling? This seems
perfectly possible from reading
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/miscellaneous.html#repairing and similar,
but the problem is that the existing ceiling has stippled plaster.

It doesn't matter if it's stippled or not, plasterboard screws come
in a few sizes and anything less than 3 inches is a POP*

OK, so would I want to screw the new plasterboard directly onto the
stippled ceiling, or use spacers to leave a gap, or try to file off the
stippling somehow before screwing new board down?

Use a marker pen to measure and mark out the positions of the joists
(they will be spaced evenly so you just need to find out how wide they
are, and what the spacing is). You screw through the old ceiling into
the joists. Assuming by "stippling" you just mean a stippled paint
effect, then don't worry about it. The plasterboard is 12.7mm thick,
just screw it up nice and tight (but not too tight as the screws will go
through the surface of the p/board), and make sure you're screwing into
the joists and not the failing ceiling!

It's a two-man job though - the plasterboard is heavy and will need to
be propped up firmly while you screw into it. I used a home made wooden
prop - a 2.4m length of 2x2 with a large X, also made out of 2x2 screwed
to the end.
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Phil L wrote:

* Regardless of which option above is best, is it cost-effective to do
the plasterboarding myself and then pay a plasterer to do the
skimming, or should I just get the plasterer to do the whole job if
I'm not planning on skimming it myself?

Better to ask individual plasterers, some want the boarding some don't

Agree with that; last time I had one done the plasterer wasn't at all
happy with me proposing to board it as he said he knows how much gap he
likes between adjacent sheets etc etc (ie. basically a crappy boarding
job can make it much harder to skim plaster afterwards). In the end I
didn't argue as the price for the all in job wasn't that much higher
than for skim-only. Incredible how fast the guy was able to chuck the
boards up, with his screw gun etc.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Dave Page wrote:
Phil L wrote:

* Is it possible to screw entirely new plasterboard over the
sagging plaster, and the hole, and the existing ceiling? This seems
perfectly possible from reading
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/miscellaneous.html#repairing and similar,
but the problem is that the existing ceiling has stippled plaster.

It doesn't matter if it's stippled or not, plasterboard screws come
in a few sizes and anything less than 3 inches is a POP*

OK, so would I want to screw the new plasterboard directly onto the
stippled ceiling, or use spacers to leave a gap, or try to file off
the stippling somehow before screwing new board down?

Dave

Unless it's scalloped (really deep furrows of plaster like olde worlde) then
you don't need to do anything to the stipple.
Find the joists and mark on the wall with a pencil the centre of each joist
(sometimes they are not all evenly spaced, most of them are set at 16 inch,
but if the joiner that day had 1 joist too many or not enough, they could be
spaced differently.
Once you've got a pencil mark on each wall, get someone to hold a piece of
timber up and strike a line along, either with a pencil or use a chalk line,
so that the ceiling has a clear line where each joist is.

Don't use spacers nor anything else, 3 inch plasterboard screws (watch out,
they are *surgically* sharp) and a decent cordless driver are all you need.

If you are boarding it for someone else, don't leave any gaps between
boards, also they must be 'staggered' like this :

HALF I
IFULL BOARD
_____________________I______________________

FULL BOARD

__________________________________________ I
and so on..

and *not* done like a chess board, like this:

FULL BOARD

__________________________________________ I

FULL BOARD

__________________________________________ I

The dotted lines in the above samples are the short ends of 6X3
plasterboards, and you should have the short edges meeting on a joist, don't
have the long edges meeting at the joists, otherwise you will end up
trimming the length rather than the width when you get a tight fit and this
weakens the board (the edge with paper all round it) causing it to crumble
and you don't get a good fixing.

HTH

(If the above diagrams don't come out too clear in this post, I'll do a jpeg
and put it up somewhere)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

(If the above diagrams don't come out too clear in this post, I'll do
a jpeg and put it up somewhere)

And it didn't display properly, here's what it should have looked like:
http://i2.tinypic.com/r10oht.jpg

Finishing off a basement Step 1 ? 46erjoe Home Repair 16 February 1st 06 05:01 PM
newbie repairing plaster in a 100 year old home [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 21st 05 11:59 PM
Installing LV halogen lights into lath and plaster ceiling? Mike Tomlinson UK diy 8 October 20th 03 03:44 PM
Lath and plaster ceiling Peter UK diy 11 October 16th 03 04:27 PM
plaster board ceiling? Tim Morley UK diy 1 August 11th 03 05:01 PM