Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Gas fire designs

We're considering replacing a Gas Miser room heater when it gives up the
ghost - no signs yet but it surely must have been superseded by something
more energy efficient in forty years.

But we don't want anything which looks like a 'living flame' or 'real fire'
effect. Others might well think that they look acceptable but we don't and
visual appeal is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Is there an honest gas fire which looks like a gas fire and not something it
isn't? I've googled but can't find anything. It's quite depressing :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Mary Fisher wrote:
We're considering replacing a Gas Miser room heater when it gives up the
ghost - no signs yet but it surely must have been superseded by something
more energy efficient in forty years.

But we don't want anything which looks like a 'living flame' or 'real fire'
effect. Others might well think that they look acceptable but we don't and
visual appeal is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Is there an honest gas fire which looks like a gas fire and not something it
isn't? I've googled but can't find anything. It's quite depressing :-(

Mary

Me thinks you have no chance. You see almost everything to do with
houses are designed by men. How many house have windows set so that the
wall on one side is too narrow to take the curtains when drawn back, so
part of the window is always covered? That is just one example where
women would do better, fancy gas fires is another I reckon! :-)

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Antony

Mary Fisher wrote:

We're considering replacing a Gas Miser room heater when it gives up the
ghost - no signs yet but it surely must have been superseded by something
more energy efficient in forty years.

But we don't want anything which looks like a 'living flame' or 'real fire'
effect. Others might well think that they look acceptable but we don't and
visual appeal is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Is there an honest gas fire which looks like a gas fire and not something it
isn't? I've googled but can't find anything. It's quite depressing :-(

But, there are loads of wall mounted fires that are either fanned
convectors or radiant.
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...Gas_Fires.html has a
wide choice without a fake log, pebble or coal in sight...
As you say it's a matter of taste. Personally I hate these, and I've
got (but not yet fitted) a Gazco Riva hole-in-wall fire. Expensive, but
very efficient (84%) and with a very realistic log effect.

-Antony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:21:01 +0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

We're considering replacing a Gas Miser room heater when it gives up the
ghost - no signs yet but it surely must have been superseded by something
more energy efficient in forty years.

But we don't want anything which looks like a 'living flame' or 'real fire'
effect. Others might well think that they look acceptable but we don't and
visual appeal is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Is there an honest gas fire which looks like a gas fire and not something it
isn't? I've googled but can't find anything. It's quite depressing :-(

Try googling
outset gas fire (pages from the uk).

Outset gas fires are still available - much the same as they were 30+
years ago. Although they now have Oxygen Depletion pilots lights on them.

It's just that such models have little 'prestige' and won't be found on
display in the 'sheds'. However the usual suspects are still in the game
Valor, Robinson-Willey, Stoves.

Typically these units are about £200-£300 pounds + fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

Is there an honest gas fire which looks like a gas fire and not something
it
isn't? I've googled but can't find anything. It's quite depressing :-(

Try googling
outset gas fire (pages from the uk).

Outset gas fires are still available - much the same as they were 30+
years ago. Although they now have Oxygen Depletion pilots lights on them.

It's just that such models have little 'prestige' and won't be found on
display in the 'sheds'. However the usual suspects are still in the game
Valor, Robinson-Willey, Stoves.

Typically these units are about £200-£300 pounds + fitting.

Thank you very much, Ed. Once more you prove the expert. I was very
disappointed that we couldn't get anything which wasn't an
honest-to-goodness gas fire! We really dislike fake fuel!

Or fake anything ...

I'll look now.

Mary

Mary

Replacement Baxi coal fire ash box and 'grill' ljmeek UK diy 3 March 5th 06 08:12 PM
Lawmower fire m Ransley Home Repair 4 April 27th 05 04:09 AM
OT- Site Yields Early Evidence of Fire Gunner Metalworking 2 May 3rd 04 05:16 AM
Managing the fire? Tomas Wilhelmsson Metalworking 10 February 12th 04 08:36 PM
Berry Magicoal Berryblaze gas fire Dave UK diy 4 July 6th 03 01:25 AM