Posted to uk.d-i-y
Abertech

Default Tilt & Slide Patio Door - trouble shutting.

I have a patio door which has a handle about half way up. The tip of
the handle points straight up when the door is shut & locked. Turning
it 90 degrees so it is horizontal allows the door to be tilted from the
bottom (opening at the top) to allow air in. Turning the handle 180
degrees, so the handle tip points straight down and pulling it towards
me allows the door to be slid open.

Trouble is, its a bit of a bugger trying to get it shut properly so I
can lock it. Often the handle will get stuck in the horizontal position
and therefore won't shut & lock properly. Sometimes I can get the door
shut in one movement without any problems. Othertimes it can take 6 or
7 goes. Whatever knack there is to this - I dont have it!

Is this a sign that the handle is wearing out perhaps?

Is it possible for a company to change the door from a tilt & slide
mechanism to one that just slides open/closed? (I think I'd find that
easier)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terence

"Abertech" wrote in news:1142093782.309151.260210
@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

[...]

This won't help you one little bit.

Every year I go to lecture at a Cambridge college that has those doors
fitted to all the student rooms fr access to a balcony.
Every single room I have stayed in has had a troublesome door and others
have also commented on this.

You are not alone !

Terence
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Abertech

They seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

Can anyone then answer my second question: is it possible to change the
mechanism from a tilt & slide to a straightforward open/shut door
without replacing the whole thing?

I'm trying to find out if its possible to just replace the slide
mechanism and the handle etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Abertech" wrote in message
oups.com...
They seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

Can anyone then answer my second question: is it possible to change the
mechanism from a tilt & slide to a straightforward open/shut door
without replacing the whole thing?

They can be replaced but the section for the sliding door is reversed when
compared to a normal door.
This would mean having the door open inwards rather than outwards Unless you
can remove the frame and reverse it that is.

You need to talk to the original suppliers so they can make a door to fit
the sections.

My slide and tilt door is fine.. have you tried oiling the metal band that
runs around the edge of the door.
They get very stiff if you dont oil them.