Posted to uk.d-i-y
JavaEnquirer

Default Wall mounting a 20 inch flat screen tv problem

Hi,

I'm planning on mounting a 20 inch flat screen television on a bedroom
wall. I also want the cabling to be descrete. However, I have two
problems:

1. I can sink the aerial cable quite easilly into the wall and
replaster. I'd like to do something similar with the power cable. ( The
missus doesn't want a powerpoint tucked behind or to the side of the
TV, and doesn't want to see trailing cables. ) The power cable for the
TV is similar to a modern computer monitor's e.g. you can pull it out
and plug it back in, it's not fixed to the appliance. So, does anyone
know where I can buy a super-long flat screen TV cable, or some kind of
extender? I've looked, but to no avail. Anyone else have any other
ideas?

2. The wall I want to fix the TV to is one of those horrendous rat-run
style non-load bearing walls. The bricks are not only hollow, but they
have just been stacked on top of the other, resting on their narrowest
side. They don't overlap like conventional brick work, just a stack of
bricks thrown together in a rush. The house is a hundred year old
terrace. The bricks won't hold a rawl plug.

Else where in the house, say where I've wanted to hang a heavy mirror,
I've excavated the fronts of some bricks and filled them up with
plaster or some other filler. However, the TV is heavier and more
expensive. I was thinking of doing something similar, but perhaps
strengthening a lot more bricks, and trying to spread the load a bit,
maybe cementing some metal rods into the rat-run holes. This probably
sounds very amateurish, but we've got no other wall to play with and
replacing the wall is something we could do without at the moment. I
have visions of the TV crashing to the floor one night, with the two or
three bricks the mount is attached to just popping out of the middle of
the wall!

Many thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

"JavaEnquirer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I'm planning on mounting a 20 inch flat screen television on a bedroom
wall. I also want the cabling to be descrete. However, I have two
problems:

1. I can sink the aerial cable quite easilly into the wall and
replaster. I'd like to do something similar with the power cable. ( The
missus doesn't want a powerpoint tucked behind or to the side of the
TV, and doesn't want to see trailing cables. ) The power cable for the
TV is similar to a modern computer monitor's e.g. you can pull it out
and plug it back in, it's not fixed to the appliance. So, does anyone
know where I can buy a super-long flat screen TV cable, or some kind of
extender? I've looked, but to no avail. Anyone else have any other
ideas?

Assuming it's a proprietry cable at the TV end, just chop the other end and
extend with a junction box to a normal 3 pin if need be (assuming the length
already there is enough to get out of sight, if not to a socket) ..?

2. The wall I want to fix the TV to is one of those horrendous rat-run
style non-load bearing walls. The bricks are not only hollow, but they
have just been stacked on top of the other, resting on their narrowest
side. They don't overlap like conventional brick work, just a stack of
bricks thrown together in a rush. The house is a hundred year old
terrace. The bricks won't hold a rawl plug.

Errrr ... No More Nails .... jk ... ;o)

Else where in the house, say where I've wanted to hang a heavy mirror,
I've excavated the fronts of some bricks and filled them up with
plaster or some other filler. However, the TV is heavier and more
expensive. I was thinking of doing something similar, but perhaps
strengthening a lot more bricks, and trying to spread the load a bit,
maybe cementing some metal rods into the rat-run holes. This probably
sounds very amateurish, but we've got no other wall to play with and
replacing the wall is something we could do without at the moment. I
have visions of the TV crashing to the floor one night, with the two or
three bricks the mount is attached to just popping out of the middle of
the wall!

How about from the roof or a discreet floor standing (braced) frame? Not
quite what you want, but if you don't have a real wall ....