Posted to uk.d-i-y
misterroy

Default long life bulb, lasted 3 weeks, anything wrong my wiring?

The light in the hall is on overnight for my daughter, its was a
philips genie 18w with a six year life. The previous incandescent bulb
only lasted about the same. 3 weeks. Could the short life of these
bulbs show something wrong with the wiring in my house?
cheers Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"misterroy" writes:
The light in the hall is on overnight for my daughter, its was a
philips genie 18w with a six year life. The previous incandescent bulb
only lasted about the same. 3 weeks. Could the short life of these
bulbs show something wrong with the wiring in my house?

A poor switch contact or bad wiring connection could do it,
but much more likely with these low powered filament lamps is
failure due to vibration. Could it be picking up vibration
from peoples' feet on a floor or doors shutting?

For this application, I would go and buy the lowest power compact
fluorescent you can find. You can get these down to 3W or 4W if
you search (IKEA sometimes have these).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
misterroy

There are block walls in the hall, and there are no rooms in the loft
so there cant be much vibration, which leaves the switches.
thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

More like rubbish quality bulbs. I had a spate of GE 60 Watt screw in
types lasting about two months They were fitted in an up-lighter so no
trapped heat, completely open above bulb. They were stamped Made in
Hungary. Just crap East European quality.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
The light in the hall is on overnight for my daughter, its was a
philips genie 18w with a six year life. The previous incandescent bulb
only lasted about the same. 3 weeks. Could the short life of these
bulbs show something wrong with the wiring in my house?
cheers Roy

no

NT

Recessed Light Eating Bulbs KTwo Home Repair 38 May 2nd 05 05:11 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
A fluorescent bulb; replacing an incandescent. Terry Home Repair 36 January 21st 04 01:43 AM
Outside wiring: a long distance from house scouser UK diy 7 August 27th 03 09:14 PM