Carpet grippers and underlay fitting help

Old March 1st 06, 02:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet grippers and underlay fitting help

The carpet fitter is coming tomorrow, and before that I need to fit the
above that I just bought.

As I have never done it before my questions a

- How far from the skirting should the wooden gripper rods be fitted? The
new carpet goes in two rooms - one with "normal" skirting and the other with
skirting that was fixed around 3/4" above the floor (not sure why, was there
when I got it), so I fixed a quarter round/circle bidding to the bottom of
it to cover the void. Should the rooms be treated differently as a result -
i.e. should I fit the grippers further or closer to the skirting?
- Can I assume that once the gripper rods are in place I simply unroll the
underlay in the space in the middle, butting it against the rods? Also,
stupid question, I know, but which side goes up? The underlay I use is
similar to this one http://www.underlayuk.co.uk/luxury.php

- Does the underlay need to be fixed to the wooed floor once laid? i.e.
carpet tacks, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

PS: the carpet is a cheapish felt back one if that makes a difference.

Old March 1st 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

AIUI you don't use grippers with felt backed carpet - the spikes on the
gripper will just shred the felt.
Old March 1st 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:47:21 +0000, Richard Conway
wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Fix the underlay using a stapler .Carpet Fitters use one thats a bit
like a small hammer and they just go round hitting it on to the
undelay and the staples go through to the floor .
Why isn't your carpet fitter doing all this anyway .???
As for the quadrant ..I would think this should be removed ....No.???

Stuart
Old March 1st 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
- How far from the skirting should the wooden gripper rods be fitted?

The same distance as the thickness of the carpet.

The
new carpet goes in two rooms - one with "normal" skirting and the other with
skirting that was fixed around 3/4" above the floor (not sure why, was there
when I got it),

Perhaps the floor's dropped.

so I fixed a quarter round/circle bidding to the bottom of
it to cover the void. Should the rooms be treated differently as a result -
i.e. should I fit the grippers further or closer to the skirting?

That's not going to work terribly well. You would have done
better to re-do the skirtings, or fill the gap with batten.

- Can I assume that once the gripper rods are in place I simply unroll the
underlay in the space in the middle, butting it against the rods?

Yup. You don't want big gaps, but you don't want to have to
ruckle the stuff up to get it in, it should lie flat.

Also,
stupid question, I know, but which side goes up? The underlay I use is
similar to this one http://www.underlayuk.co.uk/luxury.php

Smooth side up.

- Does the underlay need to be fixed to the wooed floor once laid? i.e.
carpet tacks, etc.

You could put some staples in, and tape the joins, but this is
something the fitter can do very quickly. If you do put tacks
in, make sure they're "home" or you'll get pimples in your
carpet. I'd just leave it up to the fitter.

PS: the carpet is a cheapish felt back one if that makes a difference.

These are often glued straight to the floor (around the
edges)! It's reasonable carpet for the price, should be fine
with the underlay as well.
Old March 1st 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Conway wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Works fine for me.

MBQ

Old March 1st 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:
- How far from the skirting should the wooden gripper rods be fitted?

The same distance as the thickness of the carpet.

So very very close to the skirting then - just a few millimetres away?

The new carpet goes in two rooms - one with "normal" skirting and the
other with skirting that was fixed around 3/4" above the floor (not sure
why, was there when I got it),

Perhaps the floor's dropped.

Not in this case, as it runs around the whole room.

so I fixed a quarter round/circle bidding to the bottom of it to cover
the void. Should the rooms be treated differently as a result - i.e.
should I fit the grippers further or closer to the skirting?

That's not going to work terribly well. You would have done
better to re-do the skirtings, or fill the gap with batten.

I suspected that, but the only reason I did this was because it was already
half done using quarter circle, especially around the problematic areas -
i.e. bay window, and a few other odd angles that I did not fancy replacing.

- Can I assume that once the gripper rods are in place I simply unroll
the underlay in the space in the middle, butting it against the rods?

Yup. You don't want big gaps, but you don't want to have to
ruckle the stuff up to get it in, it should lie flat.

Also, stupid question, I know, but which side goes up? The underlay I
use is similar to this one http://www.underlayuk.co.uk/luxury.php

Smooth side up.

Are you sure? My gut feeling was the other way round (good point I asked
first...).

- Does the underlay need to be fixed to the wooed floor once laid? i.e.
carpet tacks, etc.

You could put some staples in, and tape the joins, but this is
something the fitter can do very quickly. If you do put tacks
in, make sure they're "home" or you'll get pimples in your
carpet. I'd just leave it up to the fitter.

PS: the carpet is a cheapish felt back one if that makes a difference.

These are often glued straight to the floor (around the
edges)! It's reasonable carpet for the price, should be fine
with the underlay as well.

All the carpets I had in the past were glued, but considering the state of
the floorboards in these rooms I didn't think that the glue was going to
work. In the past the fitter ended up using a few staples in the places were
the glue did not catch, and it looked awful... Hence the grippers/underlay
this time.

Will the felt-baked carpet be OK with the grippers? Someone above suggested
otherwise...

Old March 1st 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 4405d0b6$0$3634$ed2e19e4@ptn-nntp-
reader04.plus.net, says...

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message

Smooth side up.

Are you sure? My gut feeling was the other way round (good point I asked
first...).

Smooth side up.

Look he
http://tinyurl.com/gatg9

--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"
Old March 1st 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
JoeJoe wrote:
- How far from the skirting should the wooden gripper rods be fitted?

The same distance as the thickness of the carpet.

So very very close to the skirting then - just a few millimetres away?

AFAIR felt-backed carpet is about 7mm thick.

The new carpet goes in two rooms - one with "normal" skirting and the
other with skirting that was fixed around 3/4" above the floor (not sure
why, was there when I got it),

Perhaps the floor's dropped.

Not in this case, as it runs around the whole room.

Should be easier to fix (if you do)! No idea why the skirting's
that high, unless someone's laid a floor covering and put the
skirting on it.

so I fixed a quarter round/circle bidding to the bottom of it to cover
the void. Should the rooms be treated differently as a result - i.e.
should I fit the grippers further or closer to the skirting?

That's not going to work terribly well. You would have done
better to re-do the skirtings, or fill the gap with batten.

I suspected that, but the only reason I did this was because it was already
half done using quarter circle, especially around the problematic areas -
i.e. bay window, and a few other odd angles that I did not fancy replacing.

Another option would be to remove your quadrant, lay the
carpet, then re-fit the quadrant (oot too tight to the
carpet). This would be a bit of a bodge, but would look
better than butting carpet up to quadrant.

Also, stupid question, I know, but which side goes up? The underlay I
use is similar to this one http://www.underlayuk.co.uk/luxury.php

Smooth side up.

Are you sure? My gut feeling was the other way round (good point I asked
first...).

You should find "this side up" printed on the underlay or a
picture on the bag, if you're not sure.

Will the felt-baked carpet be OK with the grippers? Someone above suggested
otherwise...

It's OK. If you really want to do a job, you could use
spray glue *as well*! As you're having it laid the
fitter will advise.
Old March 1st 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

He'd be happy to do that, but will charge me as I was informed by the carpt
shop. Seemsilly to pay for what apears to be an easy job (if you know what
to do - hnce my quoestions).

Old March 1st 06, 07:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2006 14:36 JoeJoe wrote:

skirting that was fixed around 3/4" above the floor (not sure why, was there
when I got it)

For the floor covering to tuck under?