Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default full plans / building notice at same time ?

Any problems with full plans / building notice at same time ?
Will the BCO get confused and have to take a month's bed rest ?
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's the point?

You would normally use a building notice when you need to get on with the
work straight away, and can negotiate with the BCO as you go along. You
would use full plans when you want to be *sure* that your total design is
compliant *before* starting work. Approval takes a finite time (maybe 3
weeks?) after submitting the plans.

What are you hoping to achieve by using both methods at the same time?

You may ask !
Well, full plans for the extension, due to being near public sewer.
Was planning on doing other work on building notice (en-suite / removal
of chimney breast at some later date, although they could overlap).
Anyway, the full plans application also had a new under-stairs toilet
connected to the new drainage. BCO wanted a final layout and vent
details for this. I then realised, the room needed to be slightly
different and my need some structual work to support the landing since
the brick wall under the stairs / next to kitchen will need to be
moved.
And I am guaranteed the house but don't own it yet, so I cannot poke
around too much.
So, I removed the toilet from the plans as it was holding things up,
and generally being a pain.
Thats the reason.
I reality they probably will not overlap, but you never know ...!
I'm sure a whole-house renovation must often result in this situation.
I mean, the 2 types of plans are appropriate to different jobs /
circumstances.
Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

assume that a BCO could cope with this - but it's likely to cost you a lot
more in fees than it would if you were to combine it into a single
application.

Yep.
But the dropped job will be incorporated in a single building notice
covering
all the other jobs that were never going to be on the full plans !
(removal of chimney, en-suite, new windows ... etc)

By the way, a building notice (not done one before) is priced according
to the cost of the job.
I am doing the job myself. Can I just give myself a very low quote ?
Simon.

Building Notice Advice??? [email protected] UK diy 9 December 16th 05 06:55 PM
Exemption from building regs??? antz UK diy 4 January 14th 05 08:05 AM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Building Warrants - Buying Flat Without L Reid UK diy 6 July 16th 03 03:54 PM