Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damaged gas meter cover

A certain member of my family has damaged the surface mounted gas meter
cover box mounted on the side of the house reversing a car off the
drive. It's one of those old white composite ones with a drop down door
and the cover is quite badly damged at one corner. I'm pretty sure the
meter inside is undusturbed - at least I can't smell gas! The
backplate still seems securely fastened to the wall.
Can you buy these at a builders merchants (Wickes, B&Q, etc) and fit
these yourself or is there some obligation to contact the meter
provider (British Gas) or the gas supplier (in my case, Powergen).
If, on further inspection, I need to verify the meter/supply is
undamaged who should I call and is there likely to be a charge for
this.
Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
zaax

If you can't smell gas I would suggest it is alright. But call National
Grid (nee Transco - 0800 111 999) if your un-happy, but they will only
make if safe by cutting you off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
darren_forward

Have a look on http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm,

They have spare doors
Part No 13164 Door for built-in meter box with pins, lock and key

Just incase it might happen again on the page as above they also do
steel doors and frames.

Regards
Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought 2 replacement covers (1 of each style) from Mitras composites
who were very good, and still do them at

http://www.mitrascomposites.co.uk/ht...ctFrameset.asp

Cheers,

Dave

Magnetized meter Mike Muderick Electronics Repair 21 February 28th 06 02:19 AM
re-siting gas meter :\) UK diy 5 February 22nd 06 11:07 AM
Gas meter stopper [email protected] UK diy 4 February 21st 06 11:50 PM
New gas meter comes, old boiler fired. Adrian C UK diy 63 August 16th 05 10:37 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM