Polycarbonate conservatory roof cleaning?

Old February 22nd 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polycarbonate conservatory roof cleaning?

Hi All,

The conservatory roof in our new house looks like it hasnt been cleaned
for years. Its covered in green algae and clumps of lichens. Intitially
I will give it a blast with a pressure washer at the weekend, however
can anybody recommend a cleaning solution that is capable of removing
the algal growths without damaging the roof if power washing doesnt
work?

Thanks,
Matthew

Old February 22nd 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matthew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

The conservatory roof in our new house looks like it hasnt been cleaned
for years. Its covered in green algae and clumps of lichens. Intitially
I will give it a blast with a pressure washer at the weekend, however
can anybody recommend a cleaning solution that is capable of removing
the algal growths without damaging the roof if power washing doesnt
work?

Spouse simply sweeps our carport roof with a brush and mains water through
the garden hose.

It's a long area and spans two drives. He has to get up there to do it but
since he built it he's confident of its weight bearing properties.

Mary

Thanks,
Matthew

Old February 22nd 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Matthew" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

The conservatory roof in our new house looks like it hasnt been cleaned
for years. Its covered in green algae and clumps of lichens. Intitially
I will give it a blast with a pressure washer at the weekend, however
can anybody recommend a cleaning solution that is capable of removing
the algal growths without damaging the roof if power washing doesnt
work?

Spouse simply sweeps our carport roof with a brush and mains water through
the garden hose.

It's a long area and spans two drives. He has to get up there to do it but
since he built it he's confident of its weight bearing properties.

Mary

Thanks,
Matthew

Be cautious with use of pressure washer it can and will penetrate any
poorly sealed area. If you can obtain some Traffic Film Remover also known
as Truck Wash - diluted and sprayed over algae etc leave for 10 mins and
hose it can be very effective.

PhilC

Old February 22nd 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:
Hi All,

The conservatory roof in our new house looks like it hasnt been cleaned
for years. Its covered in green algae and clumps of lichens. Intitially
I will give it a blast with a pressure washer at the weekend, however
can anybody recommend a cleaning solution that is capable of removing
the algal growths without damaging the roof if power washing doesnt
work?

Thanks,
Matthew

Not a solution to your immediate problem, but I've heard that algae
doesn't like
copper so perhaps a discrete length of copper wire that will slowly
dissolve
in acidic rain might be a long-term prevention idea?
I'm planning on running a length along the ridge of my house, but fear
that it
might attract lightning. Perhaps on a conservatory it won't be so bad!

Mungo

Old February 22nd 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Not a solution to your immediate problem, but I've heard that algae
doesn't like
copper so perhaps a discrete length of copper wire that will slowly
dissolve
in acidic rain might be a long-term prevention idea?
I'm planning on running a length along the ridge of my house, but fear
that it
might attract lightning.

Si - it won't ATTRACT lightning!

Lightning conductors aren't there to attract it but safely to run the power
away.

Mary

Old February 22nd 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mungo wrote:
I'm planning on running a length [of copper wire] along the ridge of my
house,

Would that be covered by Part P ;-)

Sssssh ......... don't let Them hear you ...........

Mary

Owain

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Roof cleaning Apropos Home Repair 2 October 1st 05 07:55 PM
Glazing Bars required for conservatory roof - Where to buy? [email protected] UK diy 5 May 12th 05 10:00 AM
Can "conservatory" have a tiled roof. Shabs UK diy 5 March 8th 05 10:26 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM