DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Worktop depth (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/145773-worktop-depth.html)

Anna Kettle February 21st 06 07:52 PM

Worktop depth

I have been installing a kitchen worktop. Its temporary so I wasnt too
fussed about the depth and just bought a length of cheap laminate but
WHY is the standard depth of laminate just 600mm? A dishwasher is fitted
under the worktop and is 600mm deep. Add on the space taken up by waste
pipes, water feeds etc and the dishwasher sticks out in front of the
worktop.

Now if the standard depth of worktop were 650mm they would be
accommodated just fine

Why?
Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation

Grunff February 21st 06 11:14 PM

Worktop depth

Anna Kettle wrote:
I have been installing a kitchen worktop. Its temporary so I wasnt too
fussed about the depth and just bought a length of cheap laminate but
WHY is the standard depth of laminate just 600mm? A dishwasher is fitted
under the worktop and is 600mm deep. Add on the space taken up by waste
pipes, water feeds etc and the dishwasher sticks out in front of the
worktop.

Now if the standard depth of worktop were 650mm they would be
accommodated just fine

Why?

Many 'standard' worktops are 640mm deep - all depends where you get them.

--
Grunff

Jeff February 22nd 06 09:45 AM

Worktop depth

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
I have been installing a kitchen worktop. Its temporary so I wasnt too
fussed about the depth and just bought a length of cheap laminate but
WHY is the standard depth of laminate just 600mm? A dishwasher is fitted
under the worktop and is 600mm deep. Add on the space taken up by waste
pipes, water feeds etc and the dishwasher sticks out in front of the
worktop.

Now if the standard depth of worktop were 650mm they would be
accommodated just fine

Why?

This puzzled me as well, our old kitchen had the appliances sticking out but
the MIL's moben kitchen didn't - the run with the appliances in was 700mm
deep - so i've just done the same for our washer and dishwasher

Regards Jeff

pen February 22nd 06 11:29 AM

Worktop depth

My father got round this partially by fixing 50 x 25 battens round the
wall for the worktops to butt against. The top of the battens were
about 25mm higher than the worktop height and were used to tile off.

Pen