Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas meter stopper

I wanted to fit a 1inch by 28mm copper meter adaptor on a meters outlet
and have a few metres of 28mm pipe for the gas supply. There is a
brass anti-taper plate on the meter. This prevents the removal of the
existing 1inch by 22mm meter adaptor. Taking a 28mm pipe to a meter and
then reducing to 22mm at the meter making a restriction when I could go
directly to 28mm at the meter is ludicrous. A metal ring is rivited to
this brass plate. I could cut this ring away. Can I do this? The meter
outlet must be accessible so how can Transco prevent people from
replacing or upgrading the pipe from the meter?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wanted to fit a 1inch by 28mm copper meter adaptor on a meters outlet
and have a few metres of 28mm pipe for the gas supply. There is a
brass anti-taper plate on the meter. This prevents the removal of the
existing 1inch by 22mm meter adaptor. Taking a 28mm pipe to a meter and
then reducing to 22mm at the meter making a restriction when I could go
directly to 28mm at the meter is ludicrous. A metal ring is rivited to
this brass plate. I could cut this ring away. Can I do this? The meter
outlet must be accessible so how can Transco prevent people from
replacing or upgrading the pipe from the meter?

TIA

I've often seen these rings cut off by Transco themselves, or the corner of
the meter bracket bent down. Can't see any harm in doing either of these.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

wrote in message
oups.com...
I wanted to fit a 1inch by 28mm copper meter adaptor on a meters outlet
and have a few metres of 28mm pipe for the gas supply. There is a
brass anti-taper plate on the meter. This prevents the removal of the
existing 1inch by 22mm meter adaptor. Taking a 28mm pipe to a meter and
then reducing to 22mm at the meter making a restriction when I could go
directly to 28mm at the meter is ludicrous. A metal ring is rivited to
this brass plate. I could cut this ring away. Can I do this? The meter
outlet must be accessible so how can Transco prevent people from
replacing or upgrading the pipe from the meter?

TIA

I can't see any problem with this - I often see Transo Engineers cut them
off and/or bend the corner of the meter bracket over to ease access for the
meter.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

"Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
I wanted to fit a 1inch by 28mm copper meter adaptor on a meters outlet
and have a few metres of 28mm pipe for the gas supply. There is a
brass anti-taper plate on the meter. This prevents the removal of the
existing 1inch by 22mm meter adaptor. Taking a 28mm pipe to a meter and
then reducing to 22mm at the meter making a restriction when I could go
directly to 28mm at the meter is ludicrous. A metal ring is rivited to
this brass plate. I could cut this ring away. Can I do this? The meter
outlet must be accessible so how can Transco prevent people from
replacing or upgrading the pipe from the meter?

TIA

I can't see any problem with this - I often see Transo Engineers cut them
off and/or bend the corner of the meter bracket over to ease access for
the meter.

Angus

Doesn't it p*ss you off when your 1st message gives an error and disappears,
so you post another, then low-and-behold...!!!

PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver) Power Supply Chris Electronics Repair 7 January 31st 06 03:19 AM
Update ? Meter to test thermoelectric potential of unknown metal Bill Janssen Metalworking 0 October 13th 05 12:05 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM