Puddle of water under fridge

Old February 20th 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Puddle of water under fridge

I've got a hotpoint FFA90S fridge freezer. The other day I needed to
move it out of the way so that our builder could knock out a big hole
for a door. Anyway, when I moved the fridge I noticed a fairly large
puddle underneath it which alarmed me!

I tilted the fridge back and noticed there is no tray underneath it to
store any excess water. On my last fridge I seem to remember there was a
small container attached to it to store excess water.

Any ideas as to where the water might be coming from and how the fridge
handles the excess water. I don't think dumping the water where the eye
cannot see is an elegant solution although your mileage may vary!

I need to get to the bottom of this (pun unintended) as the fridge will
be moving location again shortly as we will be having a laminate floor.
The puddle of water will of course make this somewhat difficult.

Any ideas/suggestions most welcome.

Thanks
Old February 20th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

rk wrote:
I've got a hotpoint FFA90S fridge freezer. The other day I needed to
move it out of the way so that our builder could knock out a big hole
for a door. Anyway, when I moved the fridge I noticed a fairly large
puddle underneath it which alarmed me!

The innards of the fridge oscillate from freezing to thawing (I think)
so that
excess frost can be melted off the innards and the water is collected
and
channelled away to an evaporator bowl that usually sits on top of the
(warm) compressor at the back of the fridge near the floor.

If the drain pipe from the inside to the outside of the fridge gets
blocked,
water spills out the door of the fridge eventually.

If the evaporator plate is sitting full and you tilt it when moving it
you will
create a recent puddle.

So it might be okay. Keep an eye on it.

Mungo

Old February 20th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

rk wrote:

I've got a hotpoint FFA90S fridge freezer. The other day I needed to
move it out of the way so that our builder could knock out a big hole
for a door. Anyway, when I moved the fridge I noticed a fairly large
puddle underneath it which alarmed me!

I tilted the fridge back and noticed there is no tray underneath it to
store any excess water. On my last fridge I seem to remember there was a
small container attached to it to store excess water.

Any ideas as to where the water might be coming from and how the fridge
handles the excess water. I don't think dumping the water where the eye
cannot see is an elegant solution although your mileage may vary!

I don't know your particular model, but here are some general
notes.

This appears to be a frost free freezer. This means that
periodically (usually daily) it stops cooling, and turns on a
small heater to melt the ice which has formed on the freezer
cooling matrix. The water is collected and passes through the
back wall where it is directed to a shallow receptacle on top of
the compressor. The heat from the compressor should then
evaporate it into the room.

Complications with this system include blockage of the pipe, air
locks, failure to discharge into the receptacle... In your case,
you probably just tipped it a bit before the water had
evaporated.

You can also get frost forming on the cooling pipe before it
enters the freezer, depending upon the adequacy of its
insulation, which then melts and drips.

Crude, but it mostly works.

Chris

--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old February 21st 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo wrote:
rk wrote:

[...]

ok, that actually makes sense as I had to tilt it back a few times so I
guess it may well have tipped the water over.

I'll keep an eye on it to see as I can look underneath it without moving it.