Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

Default Gas boiler problem - excessive heat, soot and yellow flame

Hi,

I have a problem with my ancient Ideal Concord W gas boiler (says WCF
on the front). I'm pretty sure it is of the combi-boiler type.

It was working fine until recently I noticed the boiler itself is
giving off excessive heat - it is scalding to the touch. Then I noticed
that the wall above the boiler is quite sooty - not sure if this is new
or not, but I didn't notice it before. The flame seems to be burning
yellow, where I would expect clean blue, and it is lapping up in front
of the internal guard between the heat exchange and the boiler cover.
I think this is what is causing the heat coming off the boiler.

Is this something I can adjust myself or will I need to call in an
engineer? The bad news is I don't have the service manual for the
boiler, it came with my flat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:47:47 +0000, Michael Pacey
wrote:

Hi,

I have a problem with my ancient Ideal Concord W gas boiler (says WCF
on the front). I'm pretty sure it is of the combi-boiler type.

It was working fine until recently I noticed the boiler itself is
giving off excessive heat - it is scalding to the touch. Then I noticed
that the wall above the boiler is quite sooty - not sure if this is new
or not, but I didn't notice it before. The flame seems to be burning
yellow, where I would expect clean blue, and it is lapping up in front
of the internal guard between the heat exchange and the boiler cover.
I think this is what is causing the heat coming off the boiler.

Is this something I can adjust myself or will I need to call in an
engineer? The bad news is I don't have the service manual for the
boiler, it came with my flat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is something seriously wrong with this boiler.

Yellow flames like this suggest ventilation and/or flue problems and
carbon monoxide is being produced.

These need to be checked as well as heat exchanger pathways and a
proper CO test done as well.

Until that can be done, the appliance should be switched off to
prevent you killing yourself with CO poisoning

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

Michael Pacey wrote:
I have a problem with my ancient Ideal Concord W gas boiler (says WCF
on the front). I'm pretty sure it is of the combi-boiler type.

On closer inspection I can narrow this down to Ideal Concord WCF 240A
from 1982.

--
Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Michael Pacey writes:
Hi,

I have a problem with my ancient Ideal Concord W gas boiler (says WCF
on the front). I'm pretty sure it is of the combi-boiler type.

It was working fine until recently I noticed the boiler itself is
giving off excessive heat - it is scalding to the touch. Then I noticed
that the wall above the boiler is quite sooty - not sure if this is new
or not, but I didn't notice it before. The flame seems to be burning
yellow, where I would expect clean blue, and it is lapping up in front
of the internal guard between the heat exchange and the boiler cover.
I think this is what is causing the heat coming off the boiler.

First,

**** TURN THE BOILER OFF IMMEDIATELY ****
DO NOT SWITCH IT BACK ON UNTIL IT'S FIXED

If it's sooting up the walls, it will be chucking
out carbon monoxide too, i.e. it's trying to kill you.
I presume from what you say it's not a room sealed type,
or the room seal is broken, but I can't find it on Ideal's
website so I don't know.

Is this something I can adjust myself or will I need to call in an
engineer? The bad news is I don't have the service manual for the
boiler, it came with my flat.

It will be in need of a serious cleaning out, as the heat exchanger
will be blocked with soot. It also needs thoroughly checking to
ensure the flames/fumes have not damaged anything which would not
normally be exposed to them. The flue needs checking for draft and
blockage, likewise the room ventilation.

This isn't really a task suitable for someone who's never serviced
the boiler before. It might be different if you were just asking
how to clean it whilst it was still working properly.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

[...]

Just second that piece of advice..

SWITCH IT OFF NOW AND GET A COMPETENT ENGINEER TO HAVE A LOOK AT IT ASAP
OR SOONER!!!
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
d.

Michael Pacey wrote:
[...]

Michael,

You have a choice of two courses of action 1, Turn off rthe boiler
NOW ........... is it turned off yet? and call in a corgi engineer to
service the boiler

As it is a CF model the chances are that you are already suffering
from the effects of CO,. If any one dies from your faulty boiler you
will be charged with Manslaughter,

HAVE YOU TURNED IT OFF YET.

second option to keep things simple call an undertaker now, IF
IT IS NOT SWITCHED OFF you will not be around tomorrow to organise the
undertaker.

THIS BOILER IS BEYOND ADJUSTMENT BY THE USER IT IS A DEATH TRAP.

I SAID TURN IT OFF NOW.

David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:07:41 +0000
Andy Hall wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with this boiler.

Yellow flames like this suggest ventilation and/or flue problems and
carbon monoxide is being produced.

These need to be checked as well as heat exchanger pathways and a
proper CO test done as well.

Until that can be done, the appliance should be switched off to
prevent you killing yourself with CO poisoning

Oops! It's been burning yellow for a few weeks now. I only noticed the
soot a couple of days ago.

I've turned it off as you and Mr Gabriel have advised. I'll get someone
in to look at it next week. Shame cos I only just fixed the radiator in
my bedroom. Better look out my woolly jumpers!

Thanks!

--
Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Michael Pacey wrote:
[...]

turn the boiler off.

call a gas service engineer in. there are things you could do to
test and clean the boiler yourself but as you are asking questions
in a newsgroup, it's obvious you're not a competent person and
any attempt to 'have a go' yourself could lead to more problems
like vomiting, brain damage or death.

further, if anyone gives you any advice contrary to what I've given
they are irresponsible and so would you be to follow it.

be prepared for the boiler to be condemned. if it is, buy a new
condensing boiler from B&Q and get someone in to fit it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

On 18 Feb 2006 12:24:05 -0800
"d." wrote:
Michael,

You have a choice of two courses of action 1, Turn off rthe boiler
NOW ........... is it turned off yet? and call in a corgi engineer to
service the boiler

As it is a CF model the chances are that you are already
suffering from the effects of CO,. If any one dies from your faulty
boiler you will be charged with Manslaughter,

HAVE YOU TURNED IT OFF YET.

second option to keep things simple call an undertaker now, IF
IT IS NOT SWITCHED OFF you will not be around tomorrow to organise the
undertaker.

THIS BOILER IS BEYOND ADJUSTMENT BY THE USER IT IS A DEATH TRAP.

I SAID TURN IT OFF NOW.

It's off!!!

Thanks!
--
Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus

"Michael Pacey" wrote in message
. uk...

I have a problem with my ancient Ideal Concord W gas boiler (says WCF
on the front). I'm pretty sure it is of the combi-boiler type.

It was working fine until recently I noticed the boiler itself is
giving off excessive heat - it is scalding to the touch. Then I
noticed
that the wall above the boiler is quite sooty - not sure if this is
new
or not, but I didn't notice it before. The flame seems to be burning
yellow, where I would expect clean blue, and it is lapping up in front
of the internal guard between the heat exchange and the boiler cover.
I think this is what is causing the heat coming off the boiler.

Is this something I can adjust myself or will I need to call in an
engineer? The bad news is I don't have the service manual for the
boiler, it came with my flat.

The "CF" bit of its model (WCF) means it's of the "conventional flue"
type - in other words it takes air from the room it's in, uses it for
the combustion of gas, and the products of combustion then pass up the
"chimney" to outside.

If there is something wrong, this means that products of combustion can
also pass back into the room, unlike the other common type of boiler
("room sealed") where there is no connection between the room and the
combustion chamber. The dangerous product of incomplete combustion is
Carbon Monoxide - odourless, invisible, and rapidly lethal.

There is something horribly, dangerously wrong with your boiler: as
others have said, it simply isn't getting enough air for the gas to burn
fully, and this could be for three reasons: too much gas flowing
(seriously faulty gas valve); a restriction of the inlet air; or a
blockage of the flue preventing combustion products escaping, so the gas
is trying to burn in an atmosphere with far too much CO2 and CO.

You really _must_ turn it off immediately, and I would also turn off the
gas completely so that even the pilot light goes out.

Post again in the morning to reassure us all that you have, and that
you've survived.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:32:44 -0000
"Autolycus" wrote:
snip
There is something horribly, dangerously wrong with your boiler: as
others have said, it simply isn't getting enough air for the gas to
burn fully, and this could be for three reasons: too much gas flowing
(seriously faulty gas valve); a restriction of the inlet air; or a
blockage of the flue preventing combustion products escaping, so the
gas is trying to burn in an atmosphere with far too much CO2 and CO.

You really _must_ turn it off immediately, and I would also turn off
the gas completely so that even the pilot light goes out.

Post again in the morning to reassure us all that you have, and that
you've survived.

Kevin,

I'm posting now as I've already turned the boiler off!

Your post made me realise something, I covered up a vent in the kitchen
during a particularly cold spell a few weeks ago. I bet that's what's
caused this! Do you think I'm right?

I feel like an idiot! Maybe that's the brain damage I've already
sustained.

Cheers
--
Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Michael Pacey wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:32:44 -0000
"Autolycus" wrote:
snip
[...]

it may be a contributing factor but it's impossible to diagnose from
the other end of the internet. as pointed out before, your boiler is
a conventional flue. if it was balanced flue or fanned flue you probably
wouldn't have any major problems if you simply serviced it. as it is,
you ought to call a gas engineer in 1st thing monday morning to
ensure you're not living in a death trap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:54:29 GMT
"." [email protected] wrote:
snip
Kevin,

I'm posting now as I've already turned the boiler off!

Your post made me realise something, I covered up a vent in the
kitchen during a particularly cold spell a few weeks ago. I bet
that's what's caused this! Do you think I'm right?

it may be a contributing factor but it's impossible to diagnose from
the other end of the internet. as pointed out before, your boiler is
a conventional flue. if it was balanced flue or fanned flue you
probably wouldn't have any major problems if you simply serviced it.
as it is, you ought to call a gas engineer in 1st thing monday
morning to ensure you're not living in a death trap.

Exactly what I'm going to do!

Thank you and everyone else for your advice!

--
Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com, d.
writes
Michael Pacey wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem with my ancient Ideal Concord W gas boiler (says WCF
on the front). I'm pretty sure it is of the combi-boiler type.

You have a choice of two courses of action 1, Turn off rthe boiler
NOW ........... is it turned off yet? and call in a corgi engineer to
service the boiler

I SAID TURN IT OFF NOW.

FFS how many times are you going to post this headless chicken on speed
post ?

I think he's already got the message

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

[...]

As others have already said this boiler is Dangerous. Any
professional coming across it in its current state WILL condemn it.
The fact that the casing is also getting hot almost certainly means that
the flue and/or heat exchanger is blocked. Maybe the flue liner has
collapsed ?

Just one point - this boiler was designed and installed long before combi
boilers were around (in the UK at least). It comes from the Concorde era!

Frankly the cost of putting this right - and being really sure it's right
- should probably go straight towards the new boiler.

Have a look at the BoilerChoice FAQ below.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 21:52:24 +0000
Ed Sirett wrote:

As others have already said this boiler is Dangerous. Any
professional coming across it in its current state WILL condemn it.
The fact that the casing is also getting hot almost certainly means
that the flue and/or heat exchanger is blocked. Maybe the flue liner
has collapsed ?

Just one point - this boiler was designed and installed long before
combi boilers were around (in the UK at least). It comes from the
Concorde era!

Frankly the cost of putting this right - and being really sure it's
right
- should probably go straight towards the new boiler.

Have a look at the BoilerChoice FAQ below.

Hi Ed,

I realised this was not a combi boiler about a third of the way through
the FAQ (the bit that says combi boilers heat water "only when it is
needed").

I'm a bit distressed that you think it will be condemned, I am
currently "between jobs" and the idea of digging into my savings
for the £1.5k or so that it would appear this is going to cost me does
not appeal... I'll keep an open mind till I get someone to look at it!

Mind you, what is meant by "condemned"? I am reading this as "requires
replacement", not as "requires repair".

Thanks.

--
Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'd hazard a guess based on other posts in this thread that when the OP
covered the air vent the flue started to spill fumes and the combustion fell
apart. Soot was produced which clogged the heat exchanger and possibly
reduced the effectiveness of the flue still further.
A really thorough clean of the heat exchanger and sweeping of the flue,
together with a full service to the boiler may be all that is actually
neccessary as the Concord series were very simple units and had little to
actually go wrong with them (apart from not being efficient at converting
money to heat).
Renewal of the boiler may be "a good thing" but may not be actually
essential

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 22:20:22 +0000 (UTC)
"John" wrote:

I'd hazard a guess based on other posts in this thread that when the
OP covered the air vent the flue started to spill fumes and the
combustion fell apart. Soot was produced which clogged the heat
exchanger and possibly reduced the effectiveness of the flue still
further. A really thorough clean of the heat exchanger and sweeping
of the flue, together with a full service to the boiler may be all
that is actually neccessary as the Concord series were very simple
units and had little to actually go wrong with them (apart from not
being efficient at converting money to heat).
Renewal of the boiler may be "a good thing" but may not be actually
essential

Hi John,

Your explanation "rings true" to me but there is of course wishful
thinking on my part...

An added complication to this is that my current CH/HW system is
obviously not modern and wouldn't meet the English regulations (as
described in the Boiler FAQ). I'm in Scotland, so the regs are
different, and harder to find and interpret than the English ones, but I
expect they are more invasive, not less. Bloody devolution.

Do you think it's worth me having a look at the boiler and flue myself
before getting a CORGI engineer to carry out work? Could I clean it
myself? What's involved in servicing?

Cheers
--
Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

It may well be possible to get it to work well enough again. Obviously it
having already sooted up would make me and probably most other fitters
look very very carefully at it. I'd really want to be 100% sure that the
problem would not return in the next couple of years.

It is a simple unit being essentially no different from any of a dozen
models of it's era.

Essentially all that's needed is a thorough clean out.
Check the flue after a 5 minutes operation
that it draws well enough to clear a smoke pellet and check that all the
flue gases are going upwards when in operation.

However there is no margin for error on this job. The cause of why it
sooted up must be found and corrected. This is a plausibly a matter of
life and death.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Pacey

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:19:23 +0000
Ed Sirett wrote:

It may well be possible to get it to work well enough again.
Obviously it having already sooted up would make me and probably most
other fitters look very very carefully at it. I'd really want to be
100% sure that the problem would not return in the next couple of
years.

It is a simple unit being essentially no different from any of a dozen
models of it's era.

Essentially all that's needed is a thorough clean out.
Check the flue after a 5 minutes operation
that it draws well enough to clear a smoke pellet and check that all
the flue gases are going upwards when in operation.

However there is no margin for error on this job. The cause of why it
sooted up must be found and corrected. This is a plausibly a matter of
life and death.

Thanks for your comments Ed, it's much appreciated.

I understand the seriousness of the matter, when I saw carbon monoxide
in everyone's replies, the boiler was off and the windows were open
immediately and it took me a couple of hours to get calm again...

I am going to engage an experienced heating fitter tomorrow who a
friend has recommended. I am planning, pending re-employment or
windfall, to carry out some alterations to my flat which would affect
the room in which the boiler is situated, so I really don't want to
have to replace boiler and possibly storage tank etc etc at this point,
only to have to move it all and possibly upgrade it in the near future!

Fingers crossed a thorough clean does the job. Meanwhile I can testify
to the efficacy of the Delonghi electric fan heaters on sale at Tesco
for £7, although the spinning of the electricity meter is making me
dizzy!

Thanks again
--
Michael