Posted to uk.d-i-y
simon beer

Default negative head pump

Would someone be able to tell me please what a negative head pump does over
a so called ordinary pump or I suppose what is negative head. Is it just
when the pump is positioned lower than where you are pumping to? many thanks

--

take off your trousers to e-mail me

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"simon beer" wrote in message
Would someone be able to tell me please what a negative head pump does
over
a so called ordinary pump or I suppose what is negative head. Is it just
when the pump is positioned lower than where you are pumping to? many
thanks

I believe it means, in an open system, that the pump may be situated above
the level of the water in the header tank. It sucks, in other words, rather
than just circulating. The head referred to in "negative head" is that
presented to the pump at the inlet, not what it develops on the outlet.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Would someone be able to tell me please what a negative head pump does
over
a so called ordinary pump or I suppose what is negative head. Is it just
when the pump is positioned lower than where you are pumping to? many

thanks

It is nothing to do with the position of the pump or hot water cylinder. It
is to do with the position of the highest outlet compared to the position of
the cold water tank.

Basically, a standard pump uses a flow switch to turn itself on. That means
that when you open a tap or turn on a shower, a small amount of water flows.
This is sensed by the switch which starts the pump up. It relies on the fact
that the cold tank is above the outlet.

If the outlet is close to the tank position (but below), you have a low head
situation. There might not be enough flow for the switch to sense. If the
outlet is above the tank position (common with loft conversions) there will
be no flow at all, so the pump doesn't start.

The solutions to get the pump started a

1. Blip the lower down bath tap to get the shower started (assuming the bath
tap is low enough for reliable gravity flow). The cheapest solution.

2. Use a negative head switch, which is a pull switch that just kick starts
the pump. Fairly cheap solution.

3. Use pressure switches. These maintain pressure even after the pump stops,
so there is a brief flow of water even from negative head outlets, enough to
kick start the pump. The best, but most expensive solution.

Once the pump has started, the standard flow switch will keep the pump
running, as the flow will continue.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Christian McArdle wrote:

[...]

Doesn't negative head also imply that the pump needs to be able to suck
water into its inlet from a lower level, without cavitating?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Doesn't negative head also imply that the pump needs to be able to suck
water into its inlet from a lower level, without cavitating?

No. Negative head pumps should be installed below the level of the cold
tank, ideally adjacent to the hot water cylinder. The negative head applies
to the outlet, not the pump location. It would be quite difficult to design
a shower pump that could prime itself by sucking water up by a column of
air, as the impellors required to pump water are quite different to those
used to provide high pressure air suction. Also, the lubrication and cooling
behaviour is very different.

It is also usually unnecessary and provides a strict limit on the pressure
possible, in that it could only provide a maximum of 1 bar at zero head pump
installation level, reducing with altitude.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ah yes he's right, I realise. Damn Christians - always right ). Apologies
for any misleading from my first post.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Christian McArdle wrote:
It would be quite difficult to design
a shower pump that could prime itself by sucking water up by a column of
air, as the impellors required to pump water are quite different to those
used to provide high pressure air suction.

Why? Many pumps do exactly this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It would be quite difficult to design a shower pump that could
prime itself by sucking water up by a column of air, as the
impellors required to pump water are quite different to those
used to provide high pressure air suction.

Why? Many pumps do exactly this.

I said it was difficult, not impossible. I don't doubt that some pumps are
designed to do this, but it is a bit of a compromise for a shower pump. Even
standard non-submerged well pumps, such as venturi jet designs usually need
priming with water. I suspect you could run a standard shower pump above
water level with a separate manual or automatic priming system and check
valves to prevent priming loss.

BTW, for future reference do you know which manufacturers do a negative head
shower pump suitable for suction priming?

Christian.