Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

Default Gluing Butyl Rubber to metal

As per title, what glue do people suggest.

(Evo-stick doesn't work- it does't adhere to the rubber.)

Thanks

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Brian Reay wrote:
As per title, what glue do people suggest.

(Evo-stick doesn't work- it does't adhere to the rubber.)

Apparently cyanoacrylate (superglue) will bond to butyl rubber, but it
depends on the strength that you need.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Brian Reay wrote:
As per title, what glue do people suggest.

(Evo-stick doesn't work- it does't adhere to the rubber.)

Superglue should work, or a one pack polyurethane like Gorilla Glue.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Brian Reay wrote:
As per title, what glue do people suggest.

(Evo-stick doesn't work- it does't adhere to the rubber.)

Superglue should work, or a one pack polyurethane like Gorilla Glue.

Gorilla glue's a one part polyurethane ?

you learn something new every day

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

raden wrote:

Gorilla glue's a one part polyurethane ?

you learn something new every day

"Gorilla Glue is pure polyurethane glue". By one pack/part I mean you don't
have a separate hardner. From their website
http://www.gorillaglue.com/great.htm

Something wrong with that?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
raden wrote:

Gorilla glue's a one part polyurethane ?

you learn something new every day

"Gorilla Glue is pure polyurethane glue". By one pack/part I mean you don't
have a separate hardner. From their website
http://www.gorillaglue.com/great.htm

Something wrong with that?

Yeah - I didn't know it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

raden wrote:
Something wrong with that?

Yeah - I didn't know it

Oh! Sorry, I thought you were being sarky!

I actually prefer the Titebond one from Axminster. Unbelievable stuff. I
had one of those snappy drill bits, with a hexagon on the shank. Drill bit
came out of the hexagon.

Tried crushing it in a vice, hitting it with a punch/hammer. In desperation
I glued it & left it overnight. Still using the drill bit!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:42:22 GMT, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

As per title, what glue do people suggest.

(Evo-stick doesn't work- it does't adhere to the rubber.)

I once reglued some portable generator/motor mounts that had separated
at the rubber to metal interface.

Not sure if it is still available but I used Bostik 2402 which (iirc)
is also used for wetsuit repair. To all intents and purposes it
looked and smelled like evostik, just costs a damn sight more but
still worked out much cheaper than buying new ones and the mounts are
still ok many years later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

As per title, what glue do people suggest.

(Evo-stick doesn't work- it does't adhere to the rubber.)

I once reglued some portable generator/motor mounts that had separated
at the rubber to metal interface.

Not sure if it is still available but I used Bostik 2402 which (iirc)
is also used for wetsuit repair. To all intents and purposes it
looked and smelled like evostik, just costs a damn sight more but
still worked out much cheaper than buying new ones and the mounts are
still ok many years later.

CA certainly sticks to butyl..try it. May work.

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
OK what is the diferance between carbide and powdered metal ? Cliff Metalworking 75 February 1st 06 09:34 PM
Ground Rod For House ? Robert11 Home Repair 28 January 3rd 06 10:25 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM