ben

Default Protecting paint tins from frost

BillR wrote:
ben wrote:

I want to move a load of paint tins from the house out to the shed but
it says 'protect from frost' on the tins. I'm confused by this (yes,
really) - the temperature in my shed gets down to -5 or -10 at night
in winter, but there's no frost inside the shed, so is it OK to keep
paint tins in the shed or not?

It it emulsion? I've sucessfully kept this in my detached garage for years.
Temp went to -10C one year.

Yes, all the big tins I want to move out of the way are emulsion. There
are a few small tins of gloss too, but they don't seem to mind the cold.
When you say you've "sucessfully" kept it, I presume this means you've
used the paint afterwards and its OK?

BillR

ben wrote:
BillR wrote:
ben wrote:

[snip]
are a few small tins of gloss too, but they don't seem to mind the
cold. When you say you've "sucessfully" kept it, I presume this means
you've
used the paint afterwards and its OK?

Only last week I dug out remains of 4 year old "tin" of emulsion that
kitchen is painted with so that I could do some touch up work.
I was quite surprised that it was still quite useable, which was good as it
was specially mixed.
It was in a plastic container though. The metal tins don't seem to keep so
well.

ben

BillR wrote:
ben wrote:

BillR wrote:

ben wrote:

[snip]

are a few small tins of gloss too, but they don't seem to mind the
cold. When you say you've "sucessfully" kept it, I presume this means
you've
used the paint afterwards and its OK?

Only last week I dug out remains of 4 year old "tin" of emulsion that
kitchen is painted with so that I could do some touch up work.
I was quite surprised that it was still quite useable, which was good as it
was specially mixed.
It was in a plastic container though. The metal tins don't seem to keep so
well.

Come to think of it, my emulsion is in plastic containers too, its the
gloss thats in metal tins.
OK, well I'll put it in the shed and not worry about it then.
Thanks Bill

dmc

In article ,
PM wrote:

Tip: To stop skinning over, store them upside down.

Do you not end up with the skin forming on the bottom and then getting
mixed in with the paint when turned up the correct way? (if you see what
I mean!)

Or is the idea that this seals the lid so well that no skin forms?

Darren

al

"dmc" wrote in message ...
Do you not end up with the skin forming on the bottom and then getting
mixed in with the paint when turned up the correct way? (if you see what
I mean!)

Or is the idea that this seals the lid so well that no skin forms?

Or more to the point, if you haven't sealed the tin properly (and most get
build up around the rim soon enough) you'll be left with paint all over your
shed!! ;P