Disconnecting gas cooker

Old February 1st 06, 12:02 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disconnecting gas cooker

We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use it -
turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.

Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the fitting
it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

Old February 1st 06, 01:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use
it - turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.

Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the
fitting it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay closed.
If screw, this needs to be capped.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Old February 1st 06, 02:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay closed.
If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the bayonet
fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas
soundness)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 1st 06, 03:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay
closed. If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the
bayonet fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

Wouldn't you say that if that was the case then this is a faulty coupler?

By the way where does one obtain a capping for bayonet coupler?

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas
soundness)

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Old February 1st 06, 06:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay
closed. If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the
bayonet fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

Wouldn't you say that if that was the case then this is a faulty coupler?

By the way where does one obtain a capping for bayonet coupler?

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas
soundness)

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John is correct, a bayonet fitting should not be left unused and a 3/4"
threaded cap screwed onto the backplate in its place.

Angus

Old February 1st 06, 07:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:02:49 +0000, F wrote:

|We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use it -
|turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.
|
|Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the fitting
|it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

Could you not replace the gas cooker with a new one with Flame Failure
Devices fitted? I have them in the caravan and they seem very fool proof.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Old February 1st 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay
closed. If screw, this needs to be capped.

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the
bayonet fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

Wouldn't you say that if that was the case then this is a faulty coupler?

By the way where does one obtain a capping for bayonet coupler?

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas
soundness)

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John is correct, a bayonet fitting should not be left unused and a 3/4"
threaded cap screwed onto the backplate in its place.

Angus

I'm trying to visualise a standard bayonet whch has a 3/4" connection. I
only ever came acrosss 1/2".

To the OP If its one of the mini bayonets IIRC a sealing cap is already
available from BES

Old February 1st 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:02:49 +0000, F wrote:

|We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use it -
|turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.
|
|Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the fitting
|it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

Could you not replace the gas cooker with a new one with Flame Failure
Devices fitted? I have them in the caravan and they seem very fool
proof.

If he's forgetting to light the gas he's probably in danger of setting his
sleeves etc on fire with a naked flame. An electric cooker might be a lot
safer in the long run (or meals on wheels).

Old February 1st 06, 01:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2006 10:09 John wrote:

An electric cooker might be a lot safer in the long run (or meals on
wheels).

Using a microwave now. Sadly, meals on wheels would be next.

Old February 1st 06, 01:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the responses.

On 01/02/2006 10:09 John wrote:

To the OP If its one of the mini bayonets IIRC a sealing cap is already
available from BES

If I get one, am I allowed to fit it? I'm not a corgi but we do have a cat!

Electric cooker connection petek UK diy 8 March 8th 05 11:23 PM
about the cooker socket Jason UK diy 11 October 27th 04 10:33 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Electrical - Rangemaster p90 all gas Bill Gardener UK diy 8 December 14th 03 11:45 AM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM