Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christoph Lutz

Default Zanussi tumble dryer not drying

Hi,

I have got a Zanussi condensing tumble dryer which I bought second hand.
All seems find - it turns round, it heats up and collects water in the
tank. However, it does take ages for cloths to dry - even if there is
only a half load in there. I have taken the back off and nothing obvious
springs to mind and looks fine. Now, I have put it in the shed outside,
so here is my question
- is it possible that outside is just too cold and the heating element
is not strong enough to heat the air and get it dry?
- do heating elements deteriorate and not get as hot as the should? (and
therefore need to be replaced)
- is there something wrong with the "drainage" of the water?

Thanks for any advice on this one...

Christoph
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Christoph Lutz wrote:

Hi,

I have got a Zanussi condensing tumble dryer which I bought second hand.
All seems find - it turns round, it heats up and collects water in the
tank. However, it does take ages for cloths to dry - even if there is
only a half load in there. I have taken the back off and nothing obvious
springs to mind and looks fine. Now, I have put it in the shed outside,
so here is my question
- is it possible that outside is just too cold and the heating element
is not strong enough to heat the air and get it dry?

Unlikely I would have thought, and the cold external air will tend to assist
the condensation process. If you open it after 15 minutes do the clothes
seem as hot as they should be?

- do heating elements deteriorate and not get as hot as the should? (and
therefore need to be replaced)

They can fail but this mode of failure would IMO be quite unlikely unless
the current was being reduced by say a bad connection, in which case
something else (the connection) usually gets rather hot in a fairly obvious
burning plastic sort of way.

- is there something wrong with the "drainage" of the water?

Maybe. Also the airways may be clogged with fluff as may any filters in the
airways. This is usually grey lint which having been in the presence of
water vapour, will often form a stiff felt like mess.

I don't know the Zanussi - my Bosch has a metal plate heat exchanger unit
that is removable from the front - if you can find yours and remove it,
give it a good blow out in the shower - then wash with Flash (helps to
loosen the remaining crud) and wash again. That's the first bit that gets
clogged up on mine that impairs performance, other than the lint filter in
the door which is obvious.

Near the heat exchanger plate on mine is a large black foam filter pad that
is also (carefully) removable for washing.

Thanks for any advice on this one...

Christoph

HTH

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christoph Lutz

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Unlikely I would have thought, and the cold external air will tend to assist
the condensation process. If you open it after 15 minutes do the clothes
seem as hot as they should be?

well, they are hot but I don't know how hot the should be, really - it's
my first tumble dryer

They can fail but this mode of failure would IMO be quite unlikely unless
the current was being reduced by say a bad connection, in which case
something else (the connection) usually gets rather hot in a fairly obvious
burning plastic sort of way.

burning plastic would smell and I have not smelled anything, so I guess
that one's out

- is there something wrong with the "drainage" of the water?

Maybe. Also the airways may be clogged with fluff as may any filters in the
airways. This is usually grey lint which having been in the presence of
water vapour, will often form a stiff felt like mess.

I don't know the Zanussi - my Bosch has a metal plate heat exchanger unit
that is removable from the front - if you can find yours and remove it,
give it a good blow out in the shower - then wash with Flash (helps to
loosen the remaining crud) and wash again. That's the first bit that gets
clogged up on mine that impairs performance, other than the lint filter in
the door which is obvious.

Yes, I have a heat exchanger which I have pulled out and cleaned with
the hose - but has not made much difference. I guess the Flash might be
an idea. The lint filter is cleaned regularly by me.

Near the heat exchanger plate on mine is a large black foam filter pad that
is also (carefully) removable for washing.

Nothing there on mine. So I guess I will give the metal place heat
exchanger a good go.

BTW: how happy are you with your Bosch? It's my make of choice, really,
but could not get hold of a (cheap) second hand one...

Thanks

Christoph
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Christoph Lutz wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Unlikely I would have thought, and the cold external air will tend to
assist the condensation process. If you open it after 15 minutes do the
clothes seem as hot as they should be?

well, they are hot but I don't know how hot the should be, really - it's
my first tumble dryer

Ok - depending on heat setting (Low/Normal) if you open the door on a load
of wet washing after about 15-20 mins, you should find it mildly steamy and
hot-bath sort of temperature. Vaguely warm or stone cold is no good.
Consider the thermostat or temperature sensor. Is the machine electronic?

Yes, I have a heat exchanger which I have pulled out and cleaned with
the hose - but has not made much difference. I guess the Flash might be
an idea. The lint filter is cleaned regularly by me.

If you've flushed it out and it's presumably not packed solid with soggy
lint it should be functional. The flash is a nicety I used just to get it
sparkly clean - but sluicing with water usually does a good enough job - if
you can see through from one side to the other both ways (across sides and
front to back).

Near the heat exchanger plate on mine is a large black foam filter pad
that is also (carefully) removable for washing.

Nothing there on mine. So I guess I will give the metal place heat
exchanger a good go.

The other thing might be a failing fan. It's a bit tricky to test the
internal air circuit that goes through the drum. You could try putting some
dry broken up cotton wool or lint previously collected in the drum and see
if it all gets blown into the lint filter after a few minutes of running -
best test I can think off right now.

But you should get a good blast of air out the back exhaust from the other
circuit.

It doesn't just cut out too soon does it - or is it running forever and just
not drying the clothes?

BTW: how happy are you with your Bosch? It's my make of choice, really,
but could not get hold of a (cheap) second hand one...

Very. I got a Hoover the first time. My "must have" feature was auto sensing
- stops when it's dry, so I could switch it on at night and have nice
clothes the next morning without baking them to death. Had to be a
condenser too.

The Hoover didn't work at all. Cut out too soon leaving clothes wet. After 2
or 3 fitter call outs, I told the shop to take it back and refund me as
unsuitable for purpose, which they did.

I went for the Bosch Logixx, which is the high end of their range and it's
been very reliable. Had it about 5 years now and it still works perfectly
and results are always consistent.

HTH

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christoph Lutz

Hi Tim,

Looks like I have had success! The key phrase for the metal heat
exchanger was "from both sides". I had looked through the short side
before and cleaned it out before but could not work out why I could not
look through the long side - until your message made me have a closer
look and I realised that the metal plates are slightly offset and in a
criss-cross pattern. I soaked the thing over night and then spent ages
cleaning it out (with a ruler, could not think of anything else to poke
through it). I then also noticed that the door contains a duct from the
main lint filter to the metal plates which was totally blocked. So I
took off the door and cleaned it all thoroughly - I then tried an almost
full load of towels as an extreme test and while it took quite a while,
it did dry it - something which would not have worked at all before, so
I take it its fixed.

Thanks so much Tim, I was on the verge of buying a different dryer!

Christoph

Tim S wrote:
Christoph Lutz wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Christoph Lutz wrote:

[...]

Tim S wrote:
Christoph Lutz wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

[...]

Jolly good - glad to be of help.

BTW - my dryer takes 60-90 minutes which is a normal sort of time...

Tim

Tumble Dryer venting Bill UK diy 33 October 11th 05 08:32 PM
Tumble dryer stops after 20 minutes Trevor Davies UK diy 6 April 19th 05 05:53 PM
Candy Double quick 1500 Tumble Dryer Andy UK diy 2 January 10th 05 04:43 PM
Quilt cover in tumble dryer Thomas Home Ownership 2 November 27th 04 03:05 PM
Cost of using a tumble dryer DavyW UK diy 10 October 29th 04 09:27 AM