Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

Default Floorboard removing

I'm using a circular saw, set almost to break through so as not to hit any
pipes
cutting each end of the board, over a joist (avioding the nails)
but I end up smashing the tounge or groove to smithers when pulling the
board out
what be the wisdom of removing tounge and groove floorboards?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Vass wrote:
I'm using a circular saw, set almost to break through so as not to
hit any pipes
cutting each end of the board, over a joist (avioding the nails)
but I end up smashing the tounge or groove to smithers when pulling
the board out
what be the wisdom of removing tounge and groove floorboards?

You cant help but cut through the T&G it has to be done, either that or
take the adjoining floorboards up starting from the wall.
Its a bit like laying laminate, you cant take the middle piece up. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 15:09:51 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

|I'm using a circular saw, set almost to break through so as not to hit any
|pipes
|cutting each end of the board, over a joist (avioding the nails)
|but I end up smashing the tounge or groove to smithers when pulling the
|board out
|what be the wisdom of removing tounge and groove floorboards?

Put the saw through at least one tongue and groove, you *may* be able to
get the rest out by moving the rest of the boards sideways. Depends on
the nailing pattern and weather you can get the nails out.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
stoker

Vass wrote:
I'm using a circular saw, set almost to break through so as not to hit any
pipes
cutting each end of the board, over a joist (avioding the nails)
but I end up smashing the tounge or groove to smithers when pulling the
board out
what be the wisdom of removing tounge and groove floorboards?
--
Vass

What angle is the blade set at? Would it help to set it at say 45
degrees so that one half of the board can slide sideways over the other
half?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It is OK to destroy the T&G that you are removing as you are putting
new stuff back. Try and keep the last or first groove intact so that
the new tongue will slot into it.

You could always screw a piece of 4x2 to the joist(s) to support the
sides instead of cutting halway across a joist and risk hitting nails.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Its a bit like laying laminate, you cant take the middle piece up. :-)

You can if you need to...

Circular saw a rectangle out of the centre of the board - leaving a
narrow margin of the board glued to the remainder.

Use a bolster chisel at an angle to break the endges of the board into
the cut out section (i.e. away from the glue joint).

Remove the bottom of the grove on the side and edge of the new board,
and glue back into place.

--
Cheers,

John.