Mice - how many ?

Old January 30th 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mice - how many ?

Have got mice.

Killed two in traps (the sprung "splat" variety) baited with a large
pile of poison:

http://www.epinions.com/Woodstream_V...Pest_Co ntrol

But we have a third - it just eats all the poison - and the trap does
not go off ! It's really strange - done that four times now, so I guess
it's very sick..

The traps (I have four) just do not seem to be sensitive
enough...though they worked on two.

How many mice should I expect in a "nest" ????

Thanks

Old January 30th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Have got mice.

Killed two in traps (the sprung "splat" variety) baited with a large
pile of poison:

http://www.epinions.com/Woodstream_V...Pest_Co ntrol

But we have a third - it just eats all the poison - and the trap does
not go off ! It's really strange - done that four times now, so I guess
it's very sick..

The traps (I have four) just do not seem to be sensitive
enough...though they worked on two.

How many mice should I expect in a "nest" ????

Thanks

Normally quite a few. You probably got the parent and the offspring are
much smaller so not setting off the trap. You'll have to feed them up until
they do.

Old January 30th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

said the following on 30/01/2006 09:44:
Have got mice.

Killed two in traps (the sprung "splat" variety) baited with a large
pile of poison:

http://www.epinions.com/Woodstream_V...Pest_Co ntrol

But we have a third - it just eats all the poison - and the trap does
not go off ! It's really strange - done that four times now, so I guess
it's very sick..

The traps (I have four) just do not seem to be sensitive
enough...though they worked on two.

How many mice should I expect in a "nest" ????

Thanks

Firstly, you don't need to put poison in springy mouse traps - peanut
butter or Branston pickle is much cheaper and safer ;-)

Secondly, where are you putting the bait? Modern designs of trap (such
as the Victor) allow you to put the bait above the trigger, so that the
mouse will step on the trigger to reach the bait. This truly draws the
mouse into the trap rather than allowing the mouse to nibble at the
edges of the bait.

Thirdly, where are you putting the traps? Mice like cover and shun open
spaces, so you should put the traps up against the wall, so that the
mice would have to go "through" them or "around" them. Hopefully, the
mouse will choose to go through as this keeps it closer to the wall.

As to how many mice in a nest, well that depends on how long they've
been there and what sources/quantities of food are available. It's
impossible to be any more specific.
Old January 30th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
Have got mice.

Killed two in traps (the sprung "splat" variety) baited with a large
pile of poison:

http://www.epinions.com/Woodstream_V...Pest_Co ntrol

But we have a third - it just eats all the poison - and the trap does
not go off ! It's really strange - done that four times now, so I guess
it's very sick..

No need for expensive poison - just good bait. I have used rasins or prunes
in the past.

You need to TIE the bait to the release arm with a bit of wire, if you don't,
they can nibble it away without springing it, so use tiable bait, not a
paste.

Gordon
Old January 30th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I removed an old back boiler from the fireplace and found a nest in the
outer chimney wall - at first I thought there was only one mouse, how
wrong I was...

Anyway, I got a trap - just one mind you, and spent about 4 quid on it,
a posh plastic affair, and used chocolate as bait. The little bug**rs
kept taking the chocolate from the trap without setting it off, that
trap never caught a single one! I bought some cheapo 50p wooden traps
and arranged obstacles in front of the fireplace so that they'd have to
pass over the trap to get out, this got them every time. I used
chocolate as bait the first couple of times, but then had no more (it
got eaten!), so I just set the trap without bait. This caught another
two of them within 24 hours. We had four in total, touch wood we
haven't seen any more for the last month or so. The way to go seems to
be to force them to take a specific route. Don't use poison as they'll
just go off to die somewhere inaccessible, and then stink out the house
for months to come.

Phil

Old January 30th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Reading up on it, after I spotted a mouse happily running around the
living room, it seems the official advice is prevent access as you can't
fight the buggers, they breed too quickly.

To that end I fixed fine stainless steel mesh to all my low level air
bricks and haven't seen any, or any evidence, of 'em since. Remember, if
you can poke a pencil into something that's big enough for them to get
through. They can compress their skeletons down to amazingly small
proportions without ill effect.

Regards

Mark
Old January 30th 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:

Anyway, I got a trap - just one mind you, and spent about 4 quid
on it, a posh plastic affair, and used chocolate as bait. The
little bug**rs kept taking the chocolate from the trap without
setting it off, that trap never caught a single one!

A mouse will just crouch there, licking away at the
chocolate. Eventually one *might* try to lift the
lump off, and spring the trap, but it doesn't seem
to happen often.

A nice oily roasted peanut seems to attract mice
quite well.

--
Tony Williams.
Old January 30th 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:

Anyway, I got a trap - just one mind you, and spent about 4 quid
on it, a posh plastic affair, and used chocolate as bait. The
little bug**rs kept taking the chocolate from the trap without
setting it off, that trap never caught a single one!

A mouse will just crouch there, licking away at the
chocolate. Eventually one *might* try to lift the
lump off, and spring the trap, but it doesn't seem
to happen often.

A nice oily roasted peanut seems to attract mice
quite well.

--

I used to us a bit of bread smeared with sunflower spread and dipped in
sugar as bait for a spring trap. Now I use a humane no-kill trap baited with

Henry

Old January 30th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:51:36 +0000, Mark A wrote:

To that end I fixed fine stainless steel mesh to all my low level air
bricks and haven't seen any, or any evidence, of 'em since. Remember, if
you can poke a pencil into something that's big enough for them to get
through. They can compress their skeletons down to amazingly small
proportions without ill effect.

Regards

Mark

Living with them as regular visitors to the house we have largely given up
trying to stop them getting in, as you say they can get in amazingly small
gaps. They seem to be largely winter visitors here coming in off the
fields when it gets too cold for them.

I normally find them to be of little nuiscance apart from the time when
they proceeded to gnaw the tops off a cupboard full of Tupperware when we
were away. That did push my patience a little.

--
Regards
Tony

Old January 30th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:32:56 +0000, Tony Hogarty
wrote:

|Living with them as regular visitors to the house we have largely given up
|trying to stop them getting in, as you say they can get in amazingly small
|gaps. They seem to be largely winter visitors here coming in off the
|fields when it gets too cold for them.
|
|I normally find them to be of little nuiscance apart from the time when
|they proceeded to gnaw the tops off a cupboard full of Tupperware when we
|were away. That did push my patience a little.

Well mice are doublley incontinent.
If you don't mind them peeing and ****ting over your food and property,
also making everywhere stink. that is your problem.

My house is permanently baited where nothing but a mouse can get.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Please quote, with quote
character, previous post sniped to only the bit you are replying to.

Mice Rick UK diy 24 April 12th 05 09:20 AM
Mice in Attic Noise Help [email protected] Home Ownership 4 December 10th 04 01:37 AM
Trapping attic mice amidst blown-in insulation Good Music Home Repair 15 December 3rd 04 01:57 PM
Stucco Gaps and Mice Henry Home Repair 4 September 2nd 04 04:29 AM
Mice, Questions about D-Con and Traps McCoysWink Home Repair 3 October 27th 03 01:18 PM