Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Battery pack and charger.

I need a 12 volt rechargeable battery pack for something I'm building for
work. Something using AA cells would be a decent size/capacity compromise.
The pack will be external to allow quick changing and will have a flying
lead connector. I'll need three to cover requirements and a charger which
can recharge in say four hours but have an automatic cutout if left on for
longer.

Obviously I can source them from RS etc, but wondered if there was perhaps
a model pack that would be better value?

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

What sort of price are you looking at and what would be the max current you
need to supply? 1050Mah NiMh packs with flyleads are around £21 but these
are smaller them AA size and around £35 for a model type charger that will
charge in 4 hours or quicker if you want and auto cut off
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I need a 12 volt rechargeable battery pack for something I'm building for
work. Something using AA cells would be a decent size/capacity compromise.
The pack will be external to allow quick changing and will have a flying
lead connector. I'll need three to cover requirements and a charger which
can recharge in say four hours but have an automatic cutout if left on for
longer.

Obviously I can source them from RS etc, but wondered if there was perhaps
a model pack that would be better value?

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I need a 12 volt rechargeable battery pack for something I'm building
for work. Something using AA cells would be a decent size/capacity
compromise. The pack will be external to allow quick changing and
will have a flying lead connector. I'll need three to cover
requirements and a charger which can recharge in say four hours but
have an automatic cutout if left on for longer.

Obviously I can source them from RS etc, but wondered if there was
perhaps a model pack that would be better value?

Since its external, and does it have to be AA cells? how about laptop
batterys? you can pick these up cheap on ebay in all different sizes.
As to the charger I'll leave that to you. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Trevor Smith

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I need a 12 volt rechargeable battery pack for something I'm building for
work. Something using AA cells would be a decent size/capacity compromise.
The pack will be external to allow quick changing and will have a flying
lead connector. I'll need three to cover requirements and a charger which
can recharge in say four hours but have an automatic cutout if left on for
longer.

Obviously I can source them from RS etc, but wondered if there was perhaps
a model pack that would be better value?

Have you thought of a sealed lead acid battery?. Maplins do various
sizes and also the chargers.
Trevor Smith

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Since its external, and does it have to be AA cells? how about laptop
batterys? you can pick these up cheap on ebay in all different sizes.

That's a thought. But presumably they need to dock in a housing to make
contact?

As to the charger I'll leave that to you. ;-)

It's likely to be the easy part.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Trevor Smith wrote:
Have you thought of a sealed lead acid battery?. Maplins do various
sizes and also the chargers.

Bit too heavy for this application.

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fixit

"Trevor Smith" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I need a 12 volt rechargeable battery pack for something I'm building for
work. Something using AA cells would be a decent size/capacity
compromise.
The pack will be external to allow quick changing and will have a flying
lead connector. I'll need three to cover requirements and a charger which
can recharge in say four hours but have an automatic cutout if left on
for
longer.

Obviously I can source them from RS etc, but wondered if there was
perhaps
a model pack that would be better value?

Have you thought of a sealed lead acid battery?. Maplins do various
sizes and also the chargers.
Trevor Smith

quick charging might rule them out

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Since its external, and does it have to be AA cells? how about laptop
batterys? you can pick these up cheap on ebay in all different sizes.

That's a thought. But presumably they need to dock in a housing to
make contact?

Nope a make shift connector... car spade bits

As to the charger I'll leave that to you. ;-)

It's likely to be the easy part.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article . com,
Trevor Smith wrote:
Have you thought of a sealed lead acid battery?. Maplins do various
sizes and also the chargers.

Bit too heavy for this application.

Have you looked at e.g.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...d/42403741.jpg

Which comes from

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...owImages=true&
Nty=1&N=411&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=sealed%20battery&No= 0#results

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Trevor Smith wrote:
Have you thought of a sealed lead acid battery?. Maplins do various
sizes and also the chargers.

Bit too heavy for this application.

Have you looked at e.g.

http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...d/42403741.jpg

Which comes from

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...owImages=true&
Nty=1&N=411&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=sealed%20battery&No= 0#results

£24, sod that for a game of soldiers.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:47:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I need a 12 volt rechargeable battery pack for something I'm building for
work. Something using AA cells would be a decent size/capacity compromise.
The pack will be external to allow quick changing and will have a flying
lead connector. I'll need three to cover requirements and a charger which
can recharge in say four hours but have an automatic cutout if left on for
longer.

Obviously I can source them from RS etc, but wondered if there was perhaps
a model pack that would be better value?

Hi,

How about a couple of 6v packs?

http://search.ebay.co.uk/6v-9-6v-3-6v-pack_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQc oentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfposZKT8Q209AXQQfr omZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10 425QQsacatZQ2d1QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ3QQs atitleZ6vQ20Q2d9Q2e6vQ20Q2d3Q2e6vQ20packQQsbrftogZ 1QQsofocusZbs

Or maybe a DC-DC converter with 7.2v or 9.6v pack.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:15:50 +0000, Pete C
wrote:

Hi,

How about a couple of 6v packs?

http://search.ebay.co.uk/6v-9-6v-3-6v-pack_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQc oentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfposZKT8Q209AXQQfr omZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10 425QQsacatZQ2d1QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ3QQs atitleZ6vQ20Q2d9Q2e6vQ20Q2d3Q2e6vQ20packQQsbrftogZ 1QQsofocusZbs

Or maybe a DC-DC converter with 7.2v or 9.6v pack.

Suitable NiMh delta V charger:

http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/product/20462/MCUNI.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=organic&u tm_term=20462&utm_campaign=prodfeed
http://www.google.com/search?hs=o0v&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&client=opera&rls= en&q=BT02282+charger&btnG=Search

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Or maybe a DC-DC converter with 7.2v or 9.6v pack.

That's certainly a possibility - the cost of that might be smaller than
the cost of the battery packs over the projected life - if 'model' packs
were indeed better value. But so far I'm not sure they are.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.