How long for glue gun to heat up?

Old January 23rd 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How long for glue gun to heat up?

Some time ago I bought a mini heated glue gun from Woolworth's. It
takes slightly smaller diameter glue sticks than usual.

Trouble with it is that it takes at least a solid 6 or 7 minutes to
heat up.

I want to get a full-size glue gun but not if it takes as long as
that to heat up.

Can someone here (in the UK) tell me how long it takes for their glue
gun to heat up.
Old January 23rd 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Davis wrote:
Some time ago I bought a mini heated glue gun from Woolworth's. It
takes slightly smaller diameter glue sticks than usual.

Trouble with it is that it takes at least a solid 6 or 7 minutes to
heat up.

I want to get a full-size glue gun but not if it takes as long as
that to heat up.

Can someone here (in the UK) tell me how long it takes for their glue
gun to heat up.

This is quite normal, both my mini gun and my full sized one take about
that long. Even heavy duty pro versions take around 5 minutes to come up
to temperature.

--
Grunff
Old January 23rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:55:14 GMT, Peter Davis
wrote:

Some time ago I bought a mini heated glue gun from Woolworth's. It
takes slightly smaller diameter glue sticks than usual.

Trouble with it is that it takes at least a solid 6 or 7 minutes to
heat up.

I want to get a full-size glue gun but not if it takes as long as
that to heat up.

Can someone here (in the UK) tell me how long it takes for their glue
gun to heat up.

I'd say that is good. Some 'Pro' guns can take 15 minutes or so to
reach full working temperature.

sponix
Old January 23rd 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Davis" wrote in message
Some time ago I bought a mini heated glue gun from Woolworth's. It
takes slightly smaller diameter glue sticks than usual.

Trouble with it is that it takes at least a solid 6 or 7 minutes to
heat up.

I want to get a full-size glue gun but not if it takes as long as
that to heat up.

Can someone here (in the UK) tell me how long it takes for their glue
gun to heat up.

Sounds normal to me - mine are the same, even, pardon the expression, my big
one!

Sparks...

Old January 23rd 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Davis wrote:
Some time ago I bought a mini heated glue gun from Woolworth's. It
takes slightly smaller diameter glue sticks than usual.

Trouble with it is that it takes at least a solid 6 or 7 minutes to
heat up.

For some quick jobs, I find a lighter simpler.

Take a glue-stick, warm the end over a lighter (keeping it moving), and
then just dab it onto the things to be glued.
Of course, this is hardly suitable for everything.
Old January 23rd 06, 09:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Davis
writes
Some time ago I bought a mini heated glue gun from Woolworth's. It
takes slightly smaller diameter glue sticks than usual.

Trouble with it is that it takes at least a solid 6 or 7 minutes to
heat up.

I have one (the smaller 6mm one) which died on me last week, it took
about 5 minutes to heat up. The one I replaced it with takes a couple of
minutes, significantly faster

I want to get a full-size glue gun but not if it takes as long as
that to heat up.

Can someone here (in the UK) tell me how long it takes for their glue
gun to heat up.

--
geoff
Old January 23rd 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

Can someone here (in the UK) tell me how long it takes for their
glue gun to heat up.

Dunno - more than a few, less than 10. Never bothered me, TBH.