Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Roach

Default Low height wardrobe/hanging space?

I can't find a wardrobe/hanging space that is just less than head
height - can anyone suggest a stockist, supplier or manufacturer I can
try?

A lot of wardrobes are around 74" high, I just want hanging space - I
don't want a shelf at the top or drawers at the bottom - frankly
anything around the height of a 4 drawer filing cabinet would suit the
bedroom (a dorma style property - I have the height for a full size
wardrobe but I simply don't think anything that is 74"+ will look right
in the room - I want something that is below head height - purely my
preference.)

I'll continue searching the millions of bedroom furniture sites but I'm
not having any luck finding anything better than a 54" tallboy that has
hanging space on one side and drawers on the other. In my room I plan
to put the stand-alone drawer units in other locations - I have lots of
options in terms of suitable drawer units but I need to solve the
hanging space problem first.

I'm cosidering designing something and farming it out to someone to
make or building something myself based around a sturdy shop style
clothes rail (Ikea had some I think).

Also - where can you buy roller shutters - not the type used for
style shelving?

cheers
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EN

"Steve Roach" wrote in message
ps.com...
I can't find a wardrobe/hanging space that is just less than head
height - can anyone suggest a stockist, supplier or manufacturer I can
try?

A lot of wardrobes are around 74" high, I just want hanging space - I
don't want a shelf at the top or drawers at the bottom - frankly
anything around the height of a 4 drawer filing cabinet would suit the
bedroom (a dorma style property - I have the height for a full size
wardrobe but I simply don't think anything that is 74"+ will look right
in the room - I want something that is below head height - purely my
preference.)

cheers
Steve

Have you looked at wardrobes designed for children? I bought one about 5ft
high just with a removable hanging rail. It was used as a broom/hoover
cupboard but is now in pieces stored under the spare bed. It originally
came from Argos about 5 yrs ago. Perfectly adequate for this use, as I'm
sure it would as a wardrobe and looked fine. Pine, but not the vile orange
pine, it had some sort of finish (patinised or something??) but could be
painted. Might be worth looking at this sort of thing.

Liz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Roach wrote:
[...]

I was going to say tallboy, but I guess that's not what you want. How
about gettting a cabinet of any kind and just adding a rail? Its easy
enough if you find the carcass of your desired size.

Cutting down a ready made wardrobe may work out cheaper than building
from scratch.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Roach

Yes, I have had a look at a couple of childrens wardrobes (they are
round about the right height) but their build quality has been less
than sturdy - I'm now looking at some Tambour units (sideways roller
shutter door) from an office furniture supplier
(http://www.homeworkingsolutions.co.u...?cat=16&man=32)
- they are 60cm deep x 120cm wide x 160cm high and they can supply a
wooden top to make it look (a little) less like office furniture but
they look fairly solid. Still waiting on a price from them. I'll have
to remove the shelves and put a suitable hanging rail in myself.

I'm still surprised I can't find someone who supplies something smaller
or has a flexible wardrobe system that can be supplied at a lower than
usual height.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Roach

Actually these are the 60cm deep units I'm looking at (for anyone else
looking for something similar!)

http://www.chworkspace.co.uk/storage_tambour.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article om
Steve Roach wrote:
[...]

Why not just get a length of chrome tube and mounting sockets from
somewhere like Wickes? Cut the sides and top from 19mm MDF painted the
same colour as the walls, and fit whatever you fancy for doors - wooden
louvres, curtains ...