Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default The cistern and toilet

Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

lol

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoffrey

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:05:26 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

Huh? Confused I am.

(you misspelled Humour BTW)

--
Time is money, money is the root of all evil, and knowledge is power. Therefore, procrastination is the key to world peace.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
skuzzbag

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:05:26 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby babbled:

Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

lol

Tell you what.

I'll give you three guesses where the term crap comes from?

--
skuzzbag, good for nothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
skuzzbag

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:57:01 GMT, skuzzbag babbled:

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:05:26 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby babbled:

Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

lol

Tell you what.

I'll give you three guesses where the term crap comes from?

I didn't mean to make that all Australian btw!

--
skuzzbag, good for nothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:05:26 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

No it wasn't:

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/crapper.asp

--
Nigel M

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

wrote:

Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

iirc he didn't actually invent it at all, merely market the idea.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

The water closet was invented by someone, whose name I now forget, in the
Court of Elizabeth I. Crapper simply made and sold them in quantity.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:05:26 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

No it wasn't:

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/crapper.asp

Never the less whether you agree or disagree it was the crapper family that
improved the sanitation of victorian england, and to me that deserves the
merit of the invention to TJCrapper.

Its a bit like "Trevor Baylis", he was supposed to have invented the windup
radio, rubbish!! he found the idea in a patent libray which had not been
upheld as a patent anymore, so revised the idea and put it into reality.

--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The3rd Earl
Of Derby writes
Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

Sorry ... urban myth I think

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

lol

The current company makes some fine replicas, although they are a
touch on the dear side. A high level complete set including cistern,
pan, flush pipe and throne seat will set you back around £2000.

Note that Thomas Crapper and Company Ltd. own the trademark to the
word "crapper".

Thought you'd like to know....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ctl

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

lol

No, but people that adopted and used his name seem to have one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ctl wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humor?

lol

No, but people that adopted and used his name seem to have one.

Nope, thomas crapper was only nine at the time the word was used. :-)

--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

ctl wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
Invented by Thomas J Crapper.

did he have a sense of humour?

lol

No, but people that adopted and used his name seem to have had one.

Nope, Thomas Crapper was only nine at the time the word was used. :-)

--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Now try the info at this url
http://www.plumbingworld.com/historythomas.html