Shower flow starts then stops !?

Old January 19th 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower flow starts then stops !?

Hi
I hope somebody can help with this frustrating problem...

When turned on, my shower works fine for about 10 seconds then stops
and just drips.
To temporarily resolve the problem, if you turn on the bath taps for
say 10 seconds then off again, the shower starts working fine. Any
ideas what can cause this...?

I'm in a converted Victorian house flat and have a Vaillant combi
boiler and gravity fed cold (which the tank is about a metre higher
than the actual shower rose. The bath taps work perfectly, and the
shower feed is fed from these pipes just before the bath taps. Shower
worked fine for ages until recently.

Also, I have to mention that when the shower is running normally, the
boiler starts 'rapidly firing up and off' which I guess is trying to
keep the set temperature of the shower thermostat. This could be a
seperate problem but thought I'd better mention it - very loud and
annoying!

Hope somebody has any suggestions!
Cheers
BSW