Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When is a partition not a partition?

I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web
version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been
built with timber stud partitions".

My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs
and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is
he talking ********?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He's talking ********! victorian terraced houses have always been 'brick'
partitions

And an awful lot of not-as-old-as-victorian houses had cinder block,
which gives
grey dust when you drill it. Partition walls in new houses resonate
like a drum.
I thought there were to be some new regs about sound transmission
between rooms.
If so, maybe the barrat boxes will have to start using blocks again
between bedrooms.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

manatbandq wrote:
I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web
version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been
built with timber stud partitions".

My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs
and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is
he talking ********?

I think it's interpretation and terminology - a partition
wall just divides a larger space, and isn't vital to the
structure as a whole. Note, he says "have always been built
with", rather that "are always built with", with which I
can agree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

wrote in message
oups.com...
I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web
version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been
built with timber stud partitions".

My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs
and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is
he talking ********?

Yep ********
but while we are on the subject, is it safe to assume partitions that run in
the direction
of the beams above are not supporting walls ?
is it also safe to assume all upstairs walls with just the loft above are
non supporting (provided there is no obvious roof strut resting upon it)
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...
I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web
version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been
built with timber stud partitions".

My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs
and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is
he talking ********?

It depends on your interpretation of what he wrote.

Timber stud partitions (aka walls) have been used in British houses for
centuries - but not to the exclusion of other methods. Thus, British houses
HAVE always been built with timber stud partitions. Not ALL British houses
have been built with timber stud partitions.

Boy babies have always been born to women but not all babies born to women
have been boys.

Thank goodness.

People do tend to assume that readers will understand what they write.
Readers do tend to put their own connotation on anything which could be
ambiguous.

There are many examples of each in newsgroups and this one isn't an
exception.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web
version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been
built with timber stud partitions".

My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs
and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is
he talking ********?

Yep ********
but while we are on the subject, is it safe to assume partitions that run in
the direction
of the beams above are not supporting walls ?
is it also safe to assume all upstairs walls with just the loft above are
non supporting (provided there is no obvious roof strut resting upon it)

They could be buttressing a wall that they meet at right angles.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:59:50 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
|I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web
| version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been
| built with timber stud partitions".
|
| My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs
| and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is
| he talking ********?
|
|It depends on your interpretation of what he wrote.
|
|Timber stud partitions (aka walls) have been used in British houses for
|centuries - but not to the exclusion of other methods. Thus, British houses
|HAVE always been built with timber stud partitions. Not ALL British houses
|have been built with timber stud partitions.
|
|Boy babies have always been born to women but not all babies born to women
|have been boys.
|
|Thank goodness.
|
|People do tend to assume that readers will understand what they write.
|Readers do tend to put their own connotation on anything which could be
|ambiguous.
|
|There are many examples of each in newsgroups and this one isn't an
|exception.

OMG I agree with Mary ;-)
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

wrote in message
ups.com...

Vass wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web
version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been
built with timber stud partitions".

My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs
and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is
he talking ********?

Yep ********
but while we are on the subject, is it safe to assume partitions that run
in
the direction
of the beams above are not supporting walls ?
is it also safe to assume all upstairs walls with just the loft above are
non supporting (provided there is no obvious roof strut resting upon it)

They could be buttressing a wall that they meet at right angles.

yes of course, silly me
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

but while we are on the subject, is it safe to assume partitions that run in
the direction
of the beams above are not supporting walls ?
is it also safe to assume all upstairs walls with just the loft above are
non supporting (provided there is no obvious roof strut resting upon it)

These walls often support the joists above, plus maybe water tanks.

NT