Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simmey

Default Planning Permission or Building Regs Required?

Hi,

We have been thinking of putting up a new larger conservatory for the
summer, and were now wondering if its worth changing what we have. Sorry
if
this is a bit long winded!

Most of this work was done before us......

The original house had a pitched roofed pantry & coal bunker with a single
skin of brick which was attached to the back of the house (about 1/2 the
house width). This was demolished and a similar sized building was erected
(about a foot longer, same width) and served as a kitchen extension. This
was done about 1982, and planning permission and building regs were
obtained. Another extension was done on the back of the house around 1985
(again with planning permission and building regs) to complete a fully
pitched roof that spanned the width of the house. At the time the
occupants
did not think to align the roofs, so our kitchen extension roof sticks out
from the "other" extension a bit like this ...

---patio doors------¦ ¦
¦ ¦ ¦
¦ other ext ¦ Kitchen ¦
________________¦ ¦
¦ ¦___________¦
¦ ¦
¦ Conservatory ¦
¦___________________¦

What I'm thinking (with the help of a general builder) of doing is to
remake
the structural column supporting the "other ext" roof, refit the RSJ that
is
currently there, extend the roof trusses and redo the roof. The amount of
roof we are talking is about 3 tiles in height (~1m) * no more than 3m in
length.

At the moment there is a conservatory on the back which effectively has
the
corner cut out to get round this problem, but it leaks on the corner and
add looks cr*p..... There are a set of patio doors on what would be the
main
wall of the house which leads to the "other" extension and serve as our
main
house door. The "other" extension did at one point have a set of French
doors leading to the garden, however these were knocked out and now the
"other" extension forms part of the conservatory.

The aim is that once the extension(s) are aligned it should be easier to
fit
up a leak free lean to conservatory without having to hack it about and do
lots of nasty flashings etc.

Would I need to apply for planning permission? building regs?

Sorry for the long post..... hopefully it contains enough information ;-)

Cheers
Ad

It has removed 1228 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

You certainly need Building Regs. As for PP a call to your local planners
should clarify matters. I depends on all sorts of things.

--
Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Would I need to apply for planning permission? building regs?

Definitely building control.

The situation is far too complicated to determine if permitted development
rights apply. However, my suspicion is that planning permission would be
required, as planning permission was obtained for previous extensions,
suggesting that permitted development rights were exhausted or not present.

Christian.