Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

Default Cheap taps?

Are cheap taps worth it? Want to replace faulty tap on bathroom basin, but
don't want to spend a load, as in a year or two's time I'll replace the
whole suite in there anyway.

For example:

http://www.justtaps.com/product.php?... d7fc1b6196c68

the third one down for £13.55 looks fine, but seems very cheap. Am I likely
to have much joy in this price range in terms of them not seizing up within
a year!?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
BeeJay

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:37:39 GMT, "al"
wrote:

Are cheap taps worth it? Want to replace faulty tap on bathroom basin, but
don't want to spend a load, as in a year or two's time I'll replace the
whole suite in there anyway.

For example:

http://www.justtaps.com/product.php?... d7fc1b6196c68

the third one down for £13.55 looks fine, but seems very cheap. Am I likely
to have much joy in this price range in terms of them not seizing up within
a year!?

I replaced taps three years ago with something similar from B+Q never
had any problems since. You will probably want to replace both unless
you don't mind odd taps in the interim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

al wrote:
Are cheap taps worth it? Want to replace faulty tap on bathroom
basin, but don't want to spend a load, as in a year or two's time
I'll replace the whole suite in there anyway.

Same situation I was in recently. I used these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...aps/d20/sd2691

Ideal @ £5:95 the pair.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

al wrote:
Are cheap taps worth it?

Are there any taps with 20 year guarantees - for example?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"al" wrote in message
. uk...
Are cheap taps worth it? Want to replace faulty tap on bathroom basin,
but don't want to spend a load, as in a year or two's time I'll replace
the whole suite in there anyway.

For example:

http://www.justtaps.com/product.php?... d7fc1b6196c68

the third one down for £13.55 looks fine, but seems very cheap. Am I
likely to have much joy in this price range in terms of them not seizing
up within a year!?

I don't think cheap taps are worth it at all.

Our predecessors in our house went to all the trouble of refitting all of
the bathrooms etc, and then only to put the cheapest taps in on the face of
the earth. Which of course not only look crap but are a pain to use.

It's the one thing that you're using all the time and decent ones don't cost
that much more.

Screwfix do some taps with ceramic washers. I'd be curious to know how
effective they are?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
I don't think cheap taps are worth it at all.

Our predecessors in our house went to all the trouble of refitting all of
the bathrooms etc, and then only to put the cheapest taps in on the face
of the earth. Which of course not only look crap but are a pain to use.

It's the one thing that you're using all the time and decent ones don't
cost that much more.

Screwfix do some taps with ceramic washers. I'd be curious to know how
effective they are?

I've a bad experience with a cheap mixer tap that a builder put in our
kitchen. But then there's more to go wrong with them. Were the regrettable
taps in question simple ones for you or mixers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

"al" wrote in message
. uk...
Are cheap taps worth it? Want to replace faulty tap on bathroom basin,
but don't want to spend a load, as in a year or two's time I'll replace
the whole suite in there anyway.

I don't think cheap taps are worth it at all.

Our predecessors in our house went to all the trouble of refitting all of
the bathrooms etc, and then only to put the cheapest taps in on the face
of the earth. Which of course not only look crap but are a pain to use.

It's the one thing that you're using all the time and decent ones don't
cost that much more.

Screwfix do some taps with ceramic washers. I'd be curious to know how
effective they are?

Usually quarter-turn ceramic-lined taps are OK, so easy to use.

Just letting the OP and readers know that from Thurs 19th, LiDL are
specially selling 4 types of mixer tap priced from £8 to £10 less a penny,
as mentioned in their in-store bump I picked up today!
Advance Info is not on-line just yet.
www.lidl.co.uk
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"al" wrote in message
.uk...
"RedOnRed" wrote in message
I don't think cheap taps are worth it at all.

Our predecessors in our house went to all the trouble of refitting all of
the bathrooms etc, and then only to put the cheapest taps in on the face
of the earth. Which of course not only look crap but are a pain to use.

It's the one thing that you're using all the time and decent ones don't
cost that much more.

Screwfix do some taps with ceramic washers. I'd be curious to know how
effective they are?

I've a bad experience with a cheap mixer tap that a builder put in our
kitchen. But then there's more to go wrong with them. Were the
regrettable taps in question simple ones for you or mixers?

Mixer taps, they didn't fit anything that luxurious!

No, they just fitted contract type taps which are shown on David Lang's link
above for Toolstation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

RedOnRed wrote:
Mixer taps, they didn't fit anything that luxurious!

OH NO. NOT THE 4 YORKSHIREMEN AGAIN!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Chris Bacon wrote:
RedOnRed wrote:
Mixer taps, they didn't fit anything that luxurious!

OH NO. NOT THE 4 YORKSHIREMEN AGAIN!

We used to dream of taps............

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Merryterry

As a Sales Agent I have sold loads of cheap taps over many years. I
honestly have not had many returned as faulty. It always amazes me that
manufacturers, (mostly Chinese at the moment), can manufacture
something at these prices. I sell a Chromed Manual Shower Mixer to
Merchants for £19. Sold thousands of them and never had one returned
faulty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Barry

"Merryterry" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a Sales Agent I have sold loads of cheap taps over many years. I
honestly have not had many returned as faulty. It always amazes me that
manufacturers, (mostly Chinese at the moment), can manufacture
something at these prices. I sell a Chromed Manual Shower Mixer to
Merchants for £19. Sold thousands of them and never had one returned
faulty.

It took me 5 attempts to get 2 matching " designer" taps from Ideal
standard. and took over two weeks to sort with my local
wholesaler.............all sorts of problems
brass showing through chrome
scratches
different tap actions

and a connection design that by its very nature distorted the braided flying
lead as you did it up...in itself leading to 5 pairs needing to be supplied.
They looked great...but bad design combined with apalling quality control
amazed me ..............these taps retailed at well over £150 each !

Barry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Merryterry" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a Sales Agent I have sold loads of cheap taps over many years. I
honestly have not had many returned as faulty. It always amazes me that
manufacturers, (mostly Chinese at the moment), can manufacture
something at these prices. I sell a Chromed Manual Shower Mixer to
Merchants for £19. Sold thousands of them and never had one returned
faulty.

LIdl sell cheap designer taps occasionally. Made in Italy. None returned?
Who returns cheap stuff? People, say well I got what I paid for and leave
it at that.

No Cold Water coming from Mixer Taps on Bath Victoria UK diy 12 October 26th 04 12:33 AM
Bath Taps wont fit? a UK diy 4 September 7th 04 01:07 AM
Leaky tap John Smith UK diy 14 September 1st 04 10:58 PM
Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 01:17 AM
A new low in cheap tools? Mickey Feldman Metalworking 35 February 15th 04 04:37 AM