Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot water booster

Like most of us, I have the skills to do most plumbing jobs, just lack
the knowledge of the system. Can anybody advise me the best way to add
a booster pump to my hot water system? I know I need a flange to
prevent ingress of air, and I need a prv to protect my shower pump
(integral), and I know where I will be able to fit the pump. This is
where it gets tricky! Most of the pumps I'm looking at have 4 ends to
them, but some have 2. I will be fitting it above my tank and I
haven't got a clue which pipes I should be hooking this up to. HELP!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

a booster pump to my hot water system? I know I need a flange to
prevent ingress of air,

Depending on your tank layout (i.e. where it is with respect to the cold
cistern etc) you may get away without a flange. Many of the pump fitting
instructions specify an essex flange as the first choice, then surrey,
then a tee off an angled pipe from the top of the tank etc in decreasing
order of desireability. The more powerful the pump the more important
this becomes. Also if you get lots of air in the system as it is then it
is also more important.

and I need a prv to protect my shower pump

Pressure reduction valve? Depends on the way you are planning to set it
up...

Inline filters on the input would be good as well (a decent pump will
probably come with them)

(integral), and I know where I will be able to fit the pump. This is
where it gets tricky! Most of the pumps I'm looking at have 4 ends to
them, but some have 2. I will be fitting it above my tank and I
haven't got a clue which pipes I should be hooking this up to. HELP!

Below the hot water cyliner is preferable to above although it its the
distance to the water level in the cold water tank that matters most. If
this is too small you may need a "negative head" pump.

The pumps typically have 4 connections as you say, hot and cold in, and
hot and cold out. The ones with only two are designed for boosting just
a single supply only (like boosting pressure to a gravity fed hot
supply so that it can be more effectively mixed with mains fed cold (and
you *may* want a PRV on the cold mains feed there), or, a single can be
used after the shower mixing valve to pump the blended water to the
shower head.

The type with four connections are designed to boost low pressure hot
and cold at the same time. To install these you take a hot feed to one
inlet from your hot cylinder (via the flange or whatever), take the cold
feed from a dedicated pipe from the cold tank to the other. Then take
the outputs to the shower, or other taps as required.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Most of the pumps I'm looking at have 4 ends to them, but some
have 2. I will be fitting it above my tank and I haven't got
a clue which pipes I should be hooking this up to. HELP!

If you are just pumping the hot water (usually because your cold water is
supplied directly at mains pressure) then you need a single impellor pump
which has 2 water connections.

You connect the input connection to the flange on the cylinder. You connect
the output to the shower/bath tap.

The twin impellor pumps have a separate channel so that the cold water also
gets pumped. This is necessary if the shower/bath cold tap are fed from the
tank, rather than from the mains.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi guys, thanks for your reply. Apparently, there is a Warwick/Warwix
(I've seen both spellings) flange to let me fit above the tank, simply
by replacing the vent pipe from the top of the tank. To me, this is
preferable for 2 reasons: first, I don't like the idea of cutting into
the tank; second, I haven't really got the space to fit it anywhere
else.

The challenge I have over the piping is this: I have 2 feeds on the
pump, 1 in 1 out. I run the inlet pipe to the in side of the pump and
I run the outlet to the original feed entry of the tank (I'm looking to
boost pressure throughout the house, primarily to a large washing
machine). Where does the vent line go? Sorry if I'm appearing dense,
but this has definitely got me confused.

I need the prv because I already have a power shower fitted and the
extra pressure will blow the seals in it.

Incidently, the pump will probably be 2 bar, as I am intending to build
an en-suite and use the pump to feed the shower in there.

Thanks
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

Hi guys, thanks for your reply. Apparently, there is a Warwick/Warwix
(I've seen both spellings) flange to let me fit above the tank, simply

These are basically the same as a surrey flange. They fit into the boss
at the top of the cylinder and provide two outlets. One intenede for the
non pumped HW that comes from the side, and a second intended for the
pump feed that comes from the centre tube at the top which ensures this
water is taken from a couple of inches down from the top of the tank and
hopefully away from any air.

by replacing the vent pipe from the top of the tank. To me, this is
preferable for 2 reasons: first, I don't like the idea of cutting into
the tank; second, I haven't really got the space to fit it anywhere
else.

Yup - if you don't have an essex flange already fitted (many modern
cylinders come with them factory fitted and blanked off) this is a
simpler way to go.

The challenge I have over the piping is this: I have 2 feeds on the
pump, 1 in 1 out. I run the inlet pipe to the in side of the pump and
I run the outlet to the original feed entry of the tank (I'm looking to
boost pressure throughout the house, primarily to a large washing
machine). Where does the vent line go? Sorry if I'm appearing dense,
but this has definitely got me confused.

So you are not planning to use the side connection of the flange for
feeding unmpumed hot water anywhere then? If so you can connect this to
the vent pipe, and then feed the pump from the top connection on the
flange. Feed the output of the pump into the remainder of the pipe that
used to come from the top of the cylinder (and had the vent on it)

I need the prv because I already have a power shower fitted and the
extra pressure will blow the seals in it.

Could you not feed this from the side connection of the flange along
with the vent connection?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the reply, John. I've been trying to get my head around
this, but I don't think it will make any sense until I see the flange
and pump together. Wish me luck!

Thanks again
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

Thanks for the reply, John. I've been trying to get my head around
this, but I don't think it will make any sense until I see the flange
and pump together. Wish me luck!

Do a search for part number 7556 on
www.bes.ltd.uk - that might help it
make sense. Basically the hot water for the rest of the house goes up
the base of the flange and out of the side port, the water for the
shower comes up the dip pipe and out of the top port. This ensures the
shower (i.e. pumped) water gets takes from a little bit down from the
top of the cylinder and hopefully away from any accumulated air bubbles.

The shower pump will typically have push firt connections for ordinary
15 or 22mm pipe. These will usually be on the end of short rubber hoses
to help isolate any noise and vibration from the pump. So all you need
is a pipe from the top connection of the flange to the inlet side of the
pump.

--
Cheers,

John.

The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Ownership 0 December 13th 05 08:44 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM