A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » UK diy
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

DIY Laser Level



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old January 10th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default DIY Laser Level

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 03:11:02 -0800, Kev wrote:


wrote:
Just wondering over what sort of distance one of the diy laser levels
will work? I need to check a level over a couple of hundred feet and
suspect that it wouldn't be powerful enough but assume that I could do
it in stages by laying out some sort of peg system.

Kevin


Is the distance too great to consider a U-Tube that is made of
normal Wine making type poly tube. I've used this method from inside
to the outside of a house with the tube going out of a window. As long
as you keep any rises below the two ends you wont have a problem. You
can also colour the water with red or blue ink. Remember, both ends
must be open to atmosphere when in use.

Chris.


That method was going to be my fall back but it looks as though the
laser level might do it.

Kevin


If you use the tube method, I recommend getting some with a bigger bore,
about 1cm or a bit bigger. I tried this with 5mm bore tub and it's a
sod getting the air bubbles out.

Although it's not massively accurate (depends how closely to can sight the
meniscus onto what you are marking) it has the advantage it works without
much degradation over moderate distances.

Cheers

Tim
Ads
  #12  
Old January 10th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default DIY Laser Level

Phil wrote:
Quite right, the light beam will sag over that sort of distance....


Phil - WTF are you on about? Please learn to quote correctly.
  #13  
Old January 10th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default DIY Laser Level

Kev wrote:

david lang wrote:
Kev wrote:
Just wondering over what sort of distance one of the diy laser levels
will work? I need to check a level over a couple of hundred feet and
suspect that it wouldn't be powerful enough but assume that I could do
it in stages by laying out some sort of peg system.


Mine will send the little red dot a hundred feet easily if used after dusk.
Don't know how accurate it would be though.


It doesn't have to be hugely accurate so it might do the job.


It won't send a little red dot a hundred feet.
The cheaper units typically have a divergance of around half a
milliradian. For less divergance, you need to be able to focus onto an
objective, and have a bigger lens.
The cheaper ones will do a spot of maybe 5cm at 100m, and this is
trivial to see at dusk.

  #14  
Old January 10th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default DIY Laser Level

Ian Stirling wrote:

It won't send a little red dot a hundred feet.
The cheaper units typically have a divergance of around half a
milliradian. For less divergance, you need to be able to focus onto an
objective, and have a bigger lens.
The cheaper ones will do a spot of maybe 5cm at 100m, and this is
trivial to see at dusk.


Mine will shine a red dot onto the chimney of a house at the end of the cul
de sac, well over 100 ft away. Granted I don't know how big the dot is, but
it certainly reaches that distance.

Dave


  #15  
Old January 10th 06, 02:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default DIY Laser Level

david lang wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

It won't send a little red dot a hundred feet.
The cheaper units typically have a divergance of around half a
milliradian. For less divergance, you need to be able to focus onto an
objective, and have a bigger lens.
The cheaper ones will do a spot of maybe 5cm at 100m, and this is
trivial to see at dusk.


Mine will shine a red dot onto the chimney of a house at the end of the cul
de sac, well over 100 ft away. Granted I don't know how big the dot is, but
it certainly reaches that distance.


True - but the dot it sends is not little.
At 100 feet, you're looking at 2-3cm or so.

If you're next to the dot at night, you can probably see it perfectly
well until the dot gets to well over a meter.

And then - looking towards the laser, it's visible when the spot is many
tens of meters wide.
  #16  
Old January 10th 06, 05:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default DIY Laser Level

On 10 Jan 2006 02:07:39 -0800, "Kev" wrote:

Just wondering over what sort of distance one of the diy laser levels
will work?


Miles and miles if you can work after dark. The spot is small enough,
it's just seeing it.

Otherwise it's still easier to use a telescope to look at a mark in
daylight.
  #17  
Old January 10th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default DIY Laser Level

Ian Stirling wrote:
david lang wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

It won't send a little red dot a hundred feet.
The cheaper units typically have a divergance of around half a
milliradian. For less divergance, you need to be able to focus onto an
objective, and have a bigger lens.
The cheaper ones will do a spot of maybe 5cm at 100m, and this is
trivial to see at dusk.


Mine will shine a red dot onto the chimney of a house at the end of the cul
de sac, well over 100 ft away. Granted I don't know how big the dot is, but
it certainly reaches that distance.


True - but the dot it sends is not little.
At 100 feet, you're looking at 2-3cm or so.

If you're next to the dot at night, you can probably see it perfectly
well until the dot gets to well over a meter.

And then - looking towards the laser, it's visible when the spot is many
tens of meters wide.


I should have mentioned - that I've also used a laser pointer, a bit of
15mm pipe insulation to grab it, and a bit of waste pipe, to slip a
laser pointer into accurate alignment with a pair of binoculars.
The binoculars then form a beam expander, and greatly reduce the
divergance.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
porter cable laser level Joe C Woodworking 0 August 3rd 05 05:33 AM
Laser Level Ed Hayes Home Repair 15 March 7th 05 05:16 AM
Laser Level Will Woodworking 1 March 1st 05 01:19 AM
Laser levels Dan Hartung Home Repair 17 December 23rd 04 05:16 AM
laser level safety googles Grunff UK diy 6 August 29th 03 08:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.