Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home
Don

Default Fitting a room thermostat

I am intending to fit a room stat to a Heatline Compact S30
combi-boiler. Currently the boiler is not working and Heatline are
refusing to honour the guarantee unless certain installation faults are
made good.
Due to the mains wiring needed to install the reciever unit for a
wireless reciever and the cost I'm starting to favour the idea of
drilling and chasing out the wall. I'm fairly sure that the heatline
wiring for a stat is two wires, currently these are one long very
thin white wire in a loop
. I believe that you cut this wire and
connect it to the room-stat to over-ride the current programmer on the
boiler.
I was told by their engineer that the programmable timer was not
enough, and that the pump would still be cycling constantly. Is this
correct? It's a 24hr dial with lots of little switches. I would have
thought that when set to off for a period it would stop the boiler.
I could be wrong, but due to the thinness of the wire I suspect that
it's a two-wire milivolt system so wont be compatible with a lot of
thermostats. Am I right in thinking that a battery powered thermostat
model would be what I am looking for?
If I did go the wireless route, I would need to get 230V mains power to
the reciever unit, but would I be able to attatch this to the boilers
thermostat wires?
Is the current wire loop, once cut, sufficient to connect to the
thermostat or do I have to solder on new two-conductor thermostat wire?
Can I splice extra wire onto the existing lengths if they are too
short?
Basicaly any help or advice would be brilliant. I'd consider getting a
sparky in to do the wiring, but if I can DIY it all the better. I've
fitted new lights and stuff before and it seems I could do this job
without having to touch mains electricity.
Any thoughts or advice on types of thermostat or best installation
practice?

Changing a room thermostat Ali UK diy 3 December 29th 04 09:38 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Update: Adding a wireless room thermostat (help needed) JH UK diy 9 January 18th 04 01:39 PM
Adding a wireless room thermostat JH UK diy 14 January 5th 04 04:17 PM
HWCH : Thermostat for one room Frank Z UK diy 3 July 31st 03 11:19 AM