Cheap router tables

Old January 6th 06, 12:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap router tables

Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

I realise that it is bound to be cheap and nasty, but if it is
usable, albeit awkwardly, then it's the right price for my
current needs.

Essentially, I'm after a table for two or three small jobs, spread
over long enough that hiring would either be uneconomic or
need more organisation than I can manage. If I then want a
decent table, I'm quite happy to either cannibalise this for a
homebrew job or write it off/resell and buy a decent one.

Obviously though, even at forty quid, it would be nice to know
that the Clarke isn't totally unusable before I've taken it out of
the box.

Regards

John

Old January 7th 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy with -
it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for around 40
including the router, don't know if they still have them. B&Q Warehouse had
some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real
pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated 500+ jobby :-)

Dave

Old January 7th 06, 11:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:33:07 GMT
"david lang" wrote:

wrote:
Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy
with - it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for
around 40 including the router, don't know if they still have them.
B&Q Warehouse had some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes
a real pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated 500+ jobby :-)

I find that a router with fewer bells and whistles is right for a
table. I use a Freud 2000E, as it is 1900Watts, has electronic speed
control, the collet winds down to the bottom of the faceplate obviating
the temptation to put the cutter in short, and it has a fine height
adjuster as standard.

As to tables, I made my own, but I used a bit of old worktop with
a hole in it for ages.

R.
Old January 7th 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:33:07 GMT, "david lang"

Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy with -
it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for around 40
including the router, don't know if they still have them. B&Q Warehouse had
some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real
pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated 500+ jobby :-)

Dave

Au contraire.

You should always match tool qualities - so there would be little
point in a 500 router and 40 table.

Actually, even the Festool is under 400.

For a router table, a permanently fitted router makes the most sense,
so something with easy tool change and fine height adjustment are the
most important criteria, followed by speed adjustment range (low end
with torque to cover the larger cutters safely).

Therefore, as always, a sensibly specified router in the 150-200
range such as a Freud would be the appropriate choice.

--

..andy

Old January 8th 06, 06:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated 500+ jobby :-)

Au contraire.

You should always match tool qualities - so there would be little
point in a 500 router and 40 table.

Well, I think I've got a decent match here then - 40 table and a
twenty
quid Homebase router (well, thirty, then in the sale a few years ago
....)

For a router table, a permanently fitted router makes the most sense,
so something with easy tool change and fine height adjustment are the
most important criteria, followed by speed adjustment range (low end
with torque to cover the larger cutters safely).

Therefore, as always, a sensibly specified router in the 150-200
range such as a Freud would be the appropriate choice.

That makes sense, but will have to wait until I grow out of my current
setup ... ie when I'm limited by it rather than my own skills ...

John

Old January 8th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

david lang wrote:

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated 」500+ jobby :-)

In many cases if you want the best table, make your own.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old January 8th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

david lang wrote:

wrote:
Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy with-
it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

If you are after el cheapo then Makro had some Nu Tool kits for around 40
including the router, don't know if they still have them. B&Q Warehouse had
some cheap combination packages as well.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real
pain getting it in and out.

Cue Andy Hall to suggest a gold plated 500+ jobby :-)

Dave

I've used the Nutool for quite a few jobs - quite good enough for me!

Old January 9th 06, 05:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

david lang wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone used the Clarke CRT1, as per
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060611001

Looks like a clone of the Wolfcraft one I have, which I'm very happy with -
it does the job well enough, no bad habits.

Well, it's currently in its box. Will get round to having a play with
it soon, and
try to remember to report back here.

Worth getting a router to leave permanently in the table, it becomes a real
pain getting it in and out.

Depends how often you're doing it ...

John