Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

Default Barlo Duo Pilot light goes out intermittently

The symptoms: An older Barlo Duo has the fault that it will work for a while
(hours to tens of hours) and then stop with an unlit pilot light. Light the
pilot, and it works again, for a while, both heat and DHW. Timer, thermostat
etc all work as expected.

From the symptoms, I'd guess at crud in the pilot light jet, causing the fan to
sometimes blow the pilot light out on purge. There are two jets to the pilot
light flame, one up, one to the right towards the thermocouple, with the one on
the right looking a bit weak.

The problem is that it's a mate's unit, I was in for a short visit, and didn't
want to start in on it without dire need. He'd just had it serviced, and didn't
want to get them back again, feeling that they hadn't proved themselves
trustworthy. (I'd have had them back, but I can see his point.)

How does one get at the jet? If it's reasonably easy to get to, I'd forward
instructions on opening the unit and giving the jet a scrub and a blowthrough...

Thomas Prufer