DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/136603-bosch-tumble-drier-keeps-tripping-heater-cut-out.html)

RzB December 21st 05 10:20 PM

Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out

Our 6 year old Bosch WTA 2000 Tumble Drier keeps
tripping it's heater cut out. Press it in and it runs ok (hot)
for a while then trips out again. The filter is clean and the
air vent at the back, which vents directly through the wall,
is clear. So I imagine its a duff sensor yes/no?

I haven't had the back off yet, but befor I do, does anyone
know if this an easy/difficult job?

Any other thoughts...
Many thanks,
Roy.

powerstation December 21st 05 10:30 PM

"RzB" wrote in message
Our 6 year old Bosch WTA 2000 Tumble Drier keeps
tripping it's heater cut out. Press it in and it runs ok (hot)
for a while then trips out again. The filter is clean and the
air vent at the back, which vents directly through the wall,
is clear. So I imagine its a duff sensor yes/no?

I haven't had the back off yet, but befor I do, does anyone
know if this an easy/difficult job?

Any other thoughts...
Many thanks,
Roy.

Is this a little red button on the back panel ? If so it is a White Knight
drier made for Bosch.
Usual cause is lack of airflow, double check everything otherwise could be
faulty motor fan, inlet stat next to heater or the cut-out itself.

RzB December 23rd 05 11:52 AM

"powerstation" wrote in message
Is this a little red button on the back panel ? If so it is a White Knight
drier made for Bosch.
Usual cause is lack of airflow, double check everything otherwise could be
faulty motor fan, inlet stat next to heater or the cut-out itself.

Many thanks for your response. Yes it does have
a small red reset button the back.

I had the bottom part of the back off yesterday.
I removed the flexible ducting pipe, to make sure
there was no blockage. All clear. So unless there
is a blockage deep inside the fan housing
(unlikley I think) it looks like it's not down to
lack of airflow.

I also blew out the small amount of dust that was
around the motor etc...

From what I have read in other posts I think it
could be down to two possibilities. The heater
thermostat, or some other thermal sensing
(fire protection) device somewhere in the system.

Yes/No?

I intend to remove the whole back later today to
see what I can find!!!!

Many thanks,
Roy

RzB December 23rd 05 12:16 PM

Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out

Just spoken to the a local Bosch service/parts agent.

To have someone come out it's £60 + for first half hour.

There are three parts that might be duff... The heater
thermostat, a cut out and an air temp sensor. Cost
are about £32, £20, £22 ! I was expecting about a
fiver each... Evidently the thermostat and cut out are
not east to get to... Hmmm...

Praps I should just go and buy a new one... :-(

Roy

powerstation December 23rd 05 12:20 PM

"RzB" wrote in message

"powerstation" wrote in message
Is this a little red button on the back panel ? If so it is a White
Knight drier made for Bosch.
Usual cause is lack of airflow, double check everything otherwise could
be faulty motor fan, inlet stat next to heater or the cut-out itself.

Many thanks for your response. Yes it does have
a small red reset button the back.

I had the bottom part of the back off yesterday.
I removed the flexible ducting pipe, to make sure
there was no blockage. All clear. So unless there
is a blockage deep inside the fan housing
(unlikley I think) it looks like it's not down to
lack of airflow.

I also blew out the small amount of dust that was
around the motor etc...

From what I have read in other posts I think it
could be down to two possibilities. The heater
thermostat, or some other thermal sensing
(fire protection) device somewhere in the system.

Yes/No?

I intend to remove the whole back later today to
see what I can find!!!!

Many thanks,
Roy

The heater thermostat is on the heater backplate in the centre of the round
metal sheathed element, you will see it when you remove the back of the
machine. Check for good airflow from the vent hose when it is running and if
it vents through the wall check the vent outside. If you need to replace the
heater thermostat obtain a White DKnight one it will be alot cheaper !

Peter

powerstation December 23rd 05 01:15 PM

"RzB" wrote in message
Just spoken to the a local Bosch service/parts agent.

To have someone come out it's £60 + for first half hour.

There are three parts that might be duff... The heater
thermostat, a cut out and an air temp sensor. Cost
are about £32, £20, £22 ! I was expecting about a
fiver each... Evidently the thermostat and cut out are
not east to get to... Hmmm...

Praps I should just go and buy a new one... :-(

Roy

They are very easy to change and White Knight parts would be in your price
range.

Peter

powerstation December 23rd 05 01:30 PM

"RzB" wrote in message
Just spoken to the a local Bosch service/parts agent.

To have someone come out it's £60 + for first half hour.

There are three parts that might be duff... The heater
thermostat, a cut out and an air temp sensor. Cost
are about £32, £20, £22 ! I was expecting about a
fiver each... Evidently the thermostat and cut out are
not east to get to... Hmmm...

Praps I should just go and buy a new one... :-(

Roy

They are very easy to change and White Knight parts would be in your price
range.

Peter

http://www.sparesrus.biz/ol-catlg/td-stat-01.htm

Peter

RzB December 23rd 05 02:43 PM

Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out

Peter,

Many, many thanks for that!

I have the thing apart - see...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/tdrier

Click on small or big depending on your
download speed...

A = the £12.95 Heater thermostat
B = the £9.95 Manual reset cut out

The Exhaust thermostat is at the top of the
URL you sent.

There is a drop down selection of cut outs
on your URL. Any idea which I need given
that the number on the cut out I have is
7M94605600C. There doesn't seem to
be anything in the list like that..

I imagine the sensors all have defined temperatures
at wich they switch. Do you know if that information
is spelled out somewhere?

Would you advise I just replace them all while
I have it apart? Or is there some way I can
test these devices on the bench?

Many thanks for your help.

Roy

powerstation December 23rd 05 03:19 PM

"RzB" wrote in message
[...]

The drop down list is just the models that part fits, it is the correct part
for your model. The outlet stat would not cause the TOC to trip if faulty,
it just knocks the heater off at about 60oC when the clothes are dry (to
save energy), the heater stat controls the inlet temperature. Only other
thing I notice is the red ends on the heater element, this can cause the TOC
to trip if the appliance is in a confined space because they where rated for
the wrong voltage and get too hot, replacements have blue ends so you can
tell the difference.

Peter

RzB December 23rd 05 03:24 PM

Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out

Hmmm - Hang on... perhaps I'm reading that wrong.
Looks like the drop down is listing all the machines
this part this satisfies...

Roy

RzB December 23rd 05 03:51 PM

Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out

The drop down list is just the models that part fits, it is the correct
part for your model.

Yes - I sussed that just after I posted - d'oh..

The outlet stat would not cause the TOC to trip if faulty, it just knocks
the heater off at about 60oC when the clothes are dry (to save energy),

So - unlikely to be that then...

the heater stat controls the inlet temperature.

So would that cause the cut out to trip if it were duff?

Only other thing I notice is the red ends on the heater element, this can
cause the TOC to trip if the appliance is in a confined space because they
where rated for the wrong voltage and get too hot, replacements have blue
ends so you can tell the difference.

Now that's fascinating... My wife has always said that she
felt that this machine got too hot. I told her not to be silly
Well there is no worksurface over the top of the machine
but there is a wall to the left and and a washing machine
to the right. I was considering putting a worksurface over
the top - perhaps I'll shelve that idea. No pun intended :-)

Perhaps I should put a new element in while I'm at it!
http://www.sparesrus.biz/ol-catlg/td-element-02.php

I have been trying to contact Spares R Us but I think they
must have gone on their Christmas Hols - can't say as I
blame them!!

Many thanks for your help and have a good Christmas!!

Roy

RzB December 23rd 05 04:25 PM

Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out

Peter,

Just one other point. In your earlier post
you said it might be a faulty motor fan..
Where is this located and what could be
wrong with it?

Many thanks,
Roy

powerstation December 23rd 05 05:36 PM

"RzB" wrote in message
Peter,

Just one other point. In your earlier post
you said it might be a faulty motor fan..
Where is this located and what could be
wrong with it?

Many thanks,
Roy

It would be noisy as well usually, they slip on the motor shaft so don't
blow properly. Easy to check and make sure no blockages etc, lower back
panel off, four screws underneath cabinet hold motor bracket, pull out black
plastic rivet from fan housing cover plate (round motor shaft) turn cover to
release in direction of arrow, remove motor c/w fan.

Peter

RzB January 12th 06 07:15 PM

Bosch Tumble Drier keeps tripping heater cut out

Peter,

Many thanks for your assistance with this one.

I replaced the Heater Thermostat and the Manual
Reset Cut Out. Cost a little over £20 - a lot less than
the £60+++ for a callout plus bits.

All working fine now...

You saved me a bundle...

I now have a little problem with the door catch - but
I'll do another post about that...

Many thanks,
Roy