Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev

Default Koi Pond Construction

There is probabley a better group somewhere but I might aswell start
here.
I want to build quite a large pond, about 25ftx25ft which is 2 or 3
times the size of even a normal large pond. I am going to build this
abroad where I have plenty of space and construction costs are not an
issue.
As it is going to be larger than average and if I keep the stocking
level the same ie a much lower density, can I assume that I can get
away with a proportionately smaller filter. Could I get away with 5
bottom drains or would I need more.
As I said, I will have a reduced stocking level because of the
increased size.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul

Kev wrote:
There is probabley a better group somewhere but I might aswell start
here.
I want to build quite a large pond, about 25ftx25ft which is 2 or 3
times the size of even a normal large pond. I am going to build this
abroad where I have plenty of space and construction costs are not an
issue.
As it is going to be larger than average and if I keep the stocking
level the same ie a much lower density, can I assume that I can get
away with a proportionately smaller filter. Could I get away with 5
bottom drains or would I need more.
As I said, I will have a reduced stocking level because of the
increased size.

Kevin

Try rec.ponds plenty of koi pond building knowledge there

Paul
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
There is probabley a better group somewhere but I might aswell start
here.
I want to build quite a large pond, about 25ftx25ft which is 2 or 3
times the size of even a normal large pond. I am going to build this
abroad where I have plenty of space and construction costs are not an
issue.
As it is going to be larger than average and if I keep the stocking
level the same ie a much lower density, can I assume that I can get
away with a proportionately smaller filter. Could I get away with 5
bottom drains or would I need more.
As I said, I will have a reduced stocking level because of the
increased size.

Kevin
Well for a start that is a massive pond if it is going to be a proper depth - say 6 feet +? If the bottom is rounded so that there is no flat bottom or right angle edges then two bottom drains should be enough as all the muck will tend to fall to the lowest point/s.
I would never skimp on filtration as it is difficult to increase it once you have designed and installed a system so you cant have too much in my view.It is probably going to be difficult to keep low stocking levels unless you do not buy any more fish or cull the new ones every year. Also the existing stock will grow fast in a big pond.
Also dont forget that they will be hard to catch in a 25 foot pond!
A good site which i used to use is madaboutkoi.com or koi cymru.

Good luck

Freddy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev

--
freddyuk

I accept the bit about catching them, once they are in there they will
be in there for good. The reason that I ask about numbers of bottom
drains is that I will have to take them with me on holiday on the plane
so with one already there and two holidays a year taking a couple each
time I would limit them to 5.
I know that the recommended size of filter is 1/3 of the pond area but
even if I cut back to1/4 that will still be a huge filter. I guess that
at the end of the day I will build as big as is practical and looks
right at the time of construction.

Kevin

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
freddyuk wrote:
Kev Wrote:
[...]

Read up and take advice. The BS about filter size being 1/3 of pond size does not add up at all. Think about it. It all depends on how many fish and how much water NOT surface area.Also how much food is put into the pond.
Go to a good website and read everything. Dont waste your money.

A big puddle of green slimey water and dead fish is just not worth the gamble.
I assume you are going to a "hot" country (Spain per chance?) and as you know warm water holds less oxygen than cold water so your stocking level is immediately compromised.

Do it right as you have the chance.