Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeteD

Default Silicone Sealant??

Hi,

I just replaced the silicone sealant along the front of a relatively
new shower (6 months old).
The reason for this was that the plumber got a big lump of dirt off his
boots into it when it was wet.

I managed to cut the old out with a very sharp craft knife, this still
however left a very thin film of the old stuff on the shower tray and
door. I masked it off and applied the new stuff about 1mm wider than
the old.

Is this going to be OK, I've started to worry that it may not adhere
properly to the old silicone??

Any comments welcome.....

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kalico

On 19 Dec 2005 13:01:48 -0800, "PeteD"
wrote:

Hi,

I just replaced the silicone sealant along the front of a relatively
new shower (6 months old).
The reason for this was that the plumber got a big lump of dirt off his
boots into it when it was wet.

I managed to cut the old out with a very sharp craft knife, this still
however left a very thin film of the old stuff on the shower tray and
door. I masked it off and applied the new stuff about 1mm wider than
the old.

Is this going to be OK, I've started to worry that it may not adhere
properly to the old silicone??

Any comments welcome.....

Pete

Should be fine but there will be only one way you will find out.

There is a gel you can apply that dissolves all the old silicon but as
you've already done the job then just see how it goes.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

PeteD wrote:
I just replaced the silicone sealant along the front of a relatively
new shower (6 months old).
The reason for this was that the plumber got a big lump of dirt off his
boots into it when it was wet.

I managed to cut the old out with a very sharp craft knife, this still
however left a very thin film of the old stuff on the shower tray and
door. I masked it off and applied the new stuff about 1mm wider than
the old.

Is this going to be OK, I've started to worry that it may not adhere
properly to the old silicone??

It's a possibility; depends how mucky the old stuff was - if it's clean
(which it ought to be if you've cut away the grubby surface layer)
you'll probably get away with it. The kosher way to do it would have
been to clean away the residual silicone with a special solvent; readily
available these days under names like 'Silicone eater' (eg at Screwfix).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Schmitt

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:01:48 -0000, PeteD
wrote:

I managed to cut the old out with a very sharp craft knife, this still
however left a very thin film of the old stuff on the shower tray and
door. I masked it off and applied the new stuff about 1mm wider than
the old.

Is this going to be OK, I've started to worry that it may not adhere
properly to the old silicone??

The new silicone will crosslink into the freshly cut surface successfully,
giving a bond very nearly, if not as strong, as the cohesive strenght of
the silicone.

John Schmitt

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H

John Schmitt Wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:01:48 -0000, PeteD

The new silicone will crosslink into the freshly cut surface
successfully,
giving a bond very nearly, if not as strong, as the cohesive strenght
of
the silicone.

John Schmitt

I think that means like s**t to a blanket.

--
Nick H

Silicone sealant - shelf life and failure mode Steve Walker UK diy 7 November 12th 05 02:43 PM
Silicone/ Acrylic Sealant Andrew Phillips UK diy 2 January 11th 05 08:51 AM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 4 June 11th 04 01:56 PM
Black sanitary silicone sealant? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 13 February 19th 04 07:20 PM
coloured silicone sealant Pete Cross UK diy 7 November 19th 03 02:13 PM