Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sadly

Default Soldering brass fittings

I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting? If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Sadly wrote:
I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting?

Yes.

If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

No.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting?

Yes. Brass solders easily.

If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

Solder rings are easier. End feed look better.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Grunff wrote:
Sadly wrote:
I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting?

Yes.

If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

No.

Remember to take out the "rubber" washer before you solder the
thing on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting?

Yes. Brass solders easily.

Clean up with steel wool and flux, just as you would copper.

Suggest you unscrew and remove the guts whilst soldering.
At least, I do, as I rather suspect the rubber parts will
not survive otherwise.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:34:41 -0800, Sadly wrote:

I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting? If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

Brass fitting are easier IME experience to solder than copper as the
heavier metalwork makes for a more even and consistent temperature when
soldering.