Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

Default Cable sizes

"Peter Ramm" wrote in message
Is 4sqmm being phased out (can't see it on Screwfix) - if so, does
that mean that you will have to use 6sqmm when you would previously
have used 4?

I posted earlier in the thread : Subject: Electric Double Oven Supply
but no responses yet
- surely some of the connectors (eg cooker) which would previously
take 2 * 4sqmm cables will not take not 2 * 6sqmm?
--
Pete Ramm
LID

Stamp out Spam - See my anti-spam pages:
http://www.spamfreezone.org

Sorry I did not research earlier. I assume you checked full kW rating of the
double-oven and calculated its peak AC current. You mentioned 30A.
Try QVS for discount cable, still both 4mm2 and 6mm2 T&E available, either
sold per metre or per reel.
2.5mm2 handles 19A max and is for ring main/spur power wiring only.
http://www.qvsdirect.co.uk/acatalog/..._6242Y_89.html
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Part

2.5mm2 handles 19A max and is for ring main/spur power wiring only.

....and where do you obtain that rating from? or is it in insulation and
protected by a 3036 and grouped with loads of other cables in a boiler
house?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Peter Part wrote:

[Jim Gregory wrote]
2.5mm2 handles 19A max and is for ring main/spur power wiring only.

...and where do you obtain that rating from?

It's out-of-date information: the as-installed cable rating for a ring
circuit has to be at least 20 A, and might need to be larger if known
heavy loads are concentrated toward one end of the ring (e.g. where all
the kitchen loads are connected near one end).

Up-to-date ratings for PVC twin-and-earth cables are as follows:

[From BS 7671 Table 4D5A]

Size Ratings in amps (ambient temperature 30 deg.C
mm^2 A B C conductor temperature 70 deg.C)
---- ---- -- --
1 11.5 12 16
1.5 14.5 15 20
2.5 20 21 27
4 26 27 37
6 32 35 47
10 44 47 64
16 57 63 85

Key to columns:
A - in conduit in insulated wall (ref. method 6)
B - directly in insulated wall (ref. method 15)
C - clipped direct (ref. method 1)

All the usual derating factors apply.

--
Andy

Drilling holes & cable Sam S. Home Repair 17 November 3rd 05 06:43 AM
Thompson RCA Warranty Rip-Off Crock Lie [email protected] Electronics Repair 19 February 28th 05 06:05 AM
Need Cable TV expert - I have questions exray Electronics Repair 4 March 28th 04 02:29 PM
Car aerial cable ARWadsworth UK diy 18 February 25th 04 04:12 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM