Posted to uk.d-i-y
Milleniumaire

Default Earth on metal light switches?

I live in a modern house that was built 7 years ago and we had a loft
extension built a couple of years ago. We are in the process of
re-decorating the loft and decided that chrome plated flat sockets and
light switches would complement the modern look we were trying to
achieve.

The fittings were ordered and received but I noticed that the light
switches have earth connectors and a label saying "This metal plate
must be earthed using the terminal marked earth".

On closer examination of my light switches, they don't appear to have
earth cables, just a live and switched live wire! The ceiling roses do
have earth connections but this earth isn't taken to the switches. I
know from experience that this isn't unusual and is the way that the
last three new houses I have lived in were wired.

Is it necessary for me to run an earth cable from the ceiling rose to
the light switch in order to fit these new metal boxes?

Could you also help me with the definition of a lug. Another label on
the switch says "If a 4 lug mounting box is used, the top & bottom lugs
must be bent fully back". Is the lug the thing in the mounting bot
that the screws screw into? I'm fairly sure it is but I'm not sure why
you would ever get 4 in a mounting box. Because the light switches are
fitted to plaster board walls in the loft, plastic mounting boxes have
been used which have the adjustable fixings i.e. they pull tight onto
the plaster board when the switch fitting is screwed on.

Thanks in advance for guidance on earthing the metal switches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Milleniumaire

Ignore my question about the lug I have determined that my
understanding is correct. I guess you might get 4 lugs in a metal
mounting box that is meant to be used in solid walls, and as I recall
these can be bent back flat so that they don't get in the way of the
fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Milleniumaire wrote:
On closer examination of my light switches, they don't appear to have
earth cables, just a live and switched live wire! The ceiling roses do
have earth connections but this earth isn't taken to the switches. I
know from experience that this isn't unusual and is the way that the
last three new houses I have lived in were wired.

I'm not quite sure when lighting earths throughout the circuit became
mandatory, but I'd say it was more than 7 years ago. My house has them and
it was re-wired in '74...

And of course the one at the switch is perhaps the most important if using
metal plate switches.

Is it necessary for me to run an earth cable from the ceiling rose to
the light switch in order to fit these new metal boxes?

If this is easy, then simply change the cable to TW&E. Although you'll
probably find it already is - but with the ECC cut off. Twin without earth
really hasn't been readily available for many a year.

But if the house is 7 years old, still under warranty? Might be worth
pursuing this.

Could you also help me with the definition of a lug. Another label on
the switch says "If a 4 lug mounting box is used, the top & bottom lugs
must be bent fully back". Is the lug the thing in the mounting bot
that the screws screw into?

Yes.

I'm fairly sure it is but I'm not sure why
you would ever get 4 in a mounting box.

Some accessories have vertically aligned screws - although not so common
these days.

Because the light switches are
fitted to plaster board walls in the loft, plastic mounting boxes have
been used which have the adjustable fixings i.e. they pull tight onto
the plaster board when the switch fitting is screwed on.

They're called dry lining boxes, and I've not seen these with four lugs.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bland

"Milleniumaire" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a modern house that was built 7 years ago and we had a loft
extension built a couple of years ago. We are in the process of
re-decorating the loft and decided that chrome plated flat sockets and
light switches would complement the modern look we were trying to
achieve.

The fittings were ordered and received but I noticed that the light
switches have earth connectors and a label saying "This metal plate
must be earthed using the terminal marked earth".

On closer examination of my light switches, they don't appear to have
earth cables, just a live and switched live wire!

I didn't think you could buy house wiring cable without an earth wire 7
years ago. Before WWII possibly.
If its grey coloured T&E the bare earth wire may be just cut back and not
easily visible.

bland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article .com,
Milleniumaire wrote:
On closer examination of my light switches, they don't appear to have
earth cables, just a live and switched live wire! The ceiling roses do
have earth connections but this earth isn't taken to the switches. I
know from experience that this isn't unusual and is the way that the
last three new houses I have lived in were wired.

I'm not quite sure when lighting earths throughout the circuit became
mandatory, but I'd say it was more than 7 years ago. My house has them and

In the 1960's I think.

it was re-wired in '74...

My parents' house, wired in 1950's has earths in the switch drop
wires, so they were fitted even before they were mandatory in
some cases.

And of course the one at the switch is perhaps the most important if using
metal plate switches.

Yes, you mustn't use them without being earthed.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Milleniumaire formulated on Sunday :
I live in a modern house that was built 7 years ago and we had a loft
extension built a couple of years ago. We are in the process of
re-decorating the loft and decided that chrome plated flat sockets and
light switches would complement the modern look we were trying to
achieve.

Something does not quite ring true with the above.

The provision of earths at both lighting points and switches became a
requirement IMHO back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Green/yellow
sleeving appeared sometime after that. If the place was built just 7
years ago, then certainly there should be earth points at the switches.
If there aren't, then you should be chasing the builder to chase the
original installer.

The fittings were ordered and received but I noticed that the light
switches have earth connectors and a label saying "This metal plate
must be earthed using the terminal marked earth".

They should not be installed until you have the earths sorted out.

On closer examination of my light switches, they don't appear to have
earth cables, just a live and switched live wire! The ceiling roses do
have earth connections but this earth isn't taken to the switches. I
know from experience that this isn't unusual and is the way that the
last three new houses I have lived in were wired.

Then they must have been wired a very long time ago and would be well
over due for rewireing.

Is it necessary for me to run an earth cable from the ceiling rose to
the light switch in order to fit these new metal boxes?

Obsolutely, though you may well find that the earths have been cut off
at the point the cable enters the switch. This was a common practise
when the earth was first introduced and not needed.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

on 27/11/2005, bland supposed :
I didn't think you could buy house wiring cable without an earth wire 7 years
ago. Before WWII possibly.
If its grey coloured T&E the bare earth wire may be just cut back and not
easily visible.

I think singles grey sheathed no earth, was available until quite
recently and perhaps still is (?).

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

[...]

Wow!
Any exposed metalwork or metal-clad boxes (and linkage to their removable
metal panels fitted with: mains switches, sockets, spur outlets, etc) must
be bonded all the way to a good supply Earth.
It's Common sense, it's the electricity regulations, and it's the law. This
neglect could possibly nullify insurance claims, too.
You could unbodge it safely by just running green PVC-covered braided 1.5sq
mm copper wire from your reliable earth busbar (or from your ceiling rose
if it is truly earthed) -hidden hopefully- to the exposed metal
lighting-switch boxes and panels, and anything similar that is not yet
earthed,
or, to do it properly, you would have to rewire any such item with correct
gauges of twin and earth (may have either the old or the new colours) and
you will need 15A braided and green & yellow sleeving for the box-to-panel
linkages.
Before rewiring.... Make sure you have a good torch or secondary lighting,
and kill the area mains supply!!
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Obsolutely, though you may well find that the earths have been cut off
at the point the cable enters the switch. This was a common practise
when the earth was first introduced and not needed.

I've seen this done where there was a metal box with earth terminal. Must
have saved a minute per switch.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex

Milleniumaire wrote:
On closer examination of my light switches, they don't appear to have
earth cables, just a live and switched live wire! The ceiling roses do
have earth connections but this earth isn't taken to the switches. I
know from experience that this isn't unusual and is the way that the
last three new houses I have lived in were wired.

Are the cables run through metal conduit which provides an earth? That
is how the earthing for most of the sockets and switches in my flat is
done - there is no seperate cable for those fittings.

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

"Alex" wrote in message
Milleniumaire wrote:
On closer examination of my light switches, they don't appear to have
earth cables, just a live and switched live wire! The ceiling roses do
have earth connections but this earth isn't taken to the switches. I
know from experience that this isn't unusual and is the way that the
last three new houses I have lived in were wired.

Are the cables run through metal conduit which provides an earth? That is
how the earthing for most of the sockets and switches in my flat is done -
there is no seperate cable for those fittings.

Alex

The UK Electricity Regs were updated by the newer edition over15 years ago
from allowing just (proven unreliable) conduit continuity for earthing to
stipulating a third wire to radiate from true earth in the consumer unit (or
mains supply entry) to any outlet or power device, be it daisy-chained along
a ring-main or at the end of a spur.
As far as I know, only pendant incandescent lampholders, ES or Bayonet, made
from thermoplastic are exempt from the 3rd installation wire.
Steel via Conduit and sunken /surface boxes is used for its physical and
sometimes EMI protection.

Alex, I would seriously ask you and/or the owners of the whole block of
flats to have system earth-loop resistance testing and any necessary
corrective safety measures done.
If it cares at all about the risks of preventable accidental death, what
does your buildings insurer say?
Jim

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Alan Holmes

"etomd" nospam@bed wrote in message
Snipped

The provision of earths at both lighting points and switches became a
requirement IMHO back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Green/yellow
sleeving appeared sometime after that. If the place was built just 7
years ago, then certainly there should be earth points at the switches.
If there aren't, then you should be chasing the builder to chase the
original installer.

Sniped

Join AAAA

Eh?

What the hell are you talking about

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Beav

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"etomd" nospam@bed wrote in message
Snipped

The provision of earths at both lighting points and switches became a
requirement IMHO back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Green/yellow
sleeving appeared sometime after that. If the place was built just 7
years ago, then certainly there should be earth points at the switches.
If there aren't, then you should be chasing the builder to chase the
original installer.

Sniped

Join AAAA

Eh?

What the hell are you talking about

Ground wires, obviously.

Ground... Earth.... same tihng.

--
Beav
OMF#19

mail is beavis dot original at ntlworld dot com (with the obvious changes)

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Rob Kleinschmidt

Beav wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"etomd" nospam@bed wrote in message
Snipped

The provision of earths at both lighting points and switches became a
requirement IMHO back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Green/yellow
sleeving appeared sometime after that.

Join AAAA

Eh?

What the hell are you talking about

Ground wires, obviously.

Ground... Earth.... same tihng.

Which still doesn't excuse the fact that this is an off topic posting
in rec.motorcycles. Please don't let it happen again.

thanks

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
ah

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"etomd" nospam@bed wrote in message
Snipped

The provision of earths at both lighting points and switches became a
requirement IMHO back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Green/yellow
sleeving appeared sometime after that.

Join AAAA

Eh?

What the hell are you talking about

Ground wires, obviously.

Ground... Earth.... same tihng.

Which still doesn't excuse the fact that this is an off topic posting
in rec.motorcycles. Please don't let it happen again.

thanks

Why are you posting this in demon.local?
--
ah

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Big Mouth Billy Bass

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:32:46 GMT, via 2Wvjf.1094$fY3.433@trnddc01,
ah spake thusly:

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"etomd" nospam@bed wrote in message
Snipped

The provision of earths at both lighting points and switches became a
requirement IMHO back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Green/yellow
sleeving appeared sometime after that.

Join AAAA

Eh?

What the hell are you talking about

Ground wires, obviously.

Ground... Earth.... same tihng.

Which still doesn't excuse the fact that this is an off topic posting
in rec.motorcycles. Please don't let it happen again.

thanks

Why are you posting this in demon.local?

Because it's off-topic. I would have thought that that was obvious.

--
Frightener of Cloven-Hooved Ruminants!

- owl tuna at hot mail dot com
Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
ah

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"etomd" nospam@bed wrote in message
Snipped

The provision of earths at both lighting points and switches became a
requirement IMHO back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Green/yellow
sleeving appeared sometime after that.

Join AAAA

Eh?

What the hell are you talking about

Ground wires, obviously.

Ground... Earth.... same tihng.

Which still doesn't excuse the fact that this is an off topic posting
in rec.motorcycles. Please don't let it happen again.

thanks

Why are you posting this in demon.local?

Because it's off-topic. I would have thought that that was obvious.

You'll not be warned again.
--
ah
Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Beav

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"etomd" nospam@bed wrote in message
Snipped

The provision of earths at both lighting points and switches

became a
requirement IMHO back in the late 60's/ early 70's. Green/yellow
sleeving appeared sometime after that.

Join AAAA

Eh?

What the hell are you talking about

Ground wires, obviously.

Ground... Earth.... same tihng.

Which still doesn't excuse the fact that this is an off topic posting
in rec.motorcycles. Please don't let it happen again.

thanks

Why are you posting this in demon.local?

Because it's off-topic. I would have thought that that was obvious.

You'll not be warned again.

What's going to happen? Are yu going to seek him out and slap his legs? I
demand jpegs at least, but a vid would be better.

--
Beav
OMF#19
VN 750
Zed Thou

mail is beavis dot original at ntlworld dot com (with the obvious changes)

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
ah

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
[...]

Don't underestimate our willingness to enforce The Rule.
--
ah
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Alan Holmes

"etomd" nospam@bed wrote in message
"Phillip Kyle" wrote in message
.. .
"Beav" verbally sodomised in
:

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
[...]

He's going to send a dossier of the offenders posts to his headmaster.

--
Phil KyleT

SPAMCOP thinks posting to multi NG's is Spam....................! Perhaps
you could take it on yourself to educate them

I think you need educating as well

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y

"etomd" nospam@bed verbally sodomised in
:

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
[...]

There are a few problems with that statement. One is you haven't
specified
whether you mean multi-posting or crossposting. Secondly, the spamcop
site
doesn't actually say that posting to multiple NG's is spam, thus your
statement is untrue. Thirdly, you are an idiot if you trust a single
source for your information without question or corroboration with other
sources.
HTH
Phil KyleT

One......Multi posting (as stated) and Two.....you are wrong they do (Not
the site - but in correspondence) Ask Spamcop.
What other sources are needed to corrobarate the statement. Look to
oneself before decrying others......

Join AAAA

Why?

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
[...]

You didn't state multi-posting, you said posting to multiple newsgroups.
Posting to multiple newsgroups could be both multi-posting and
crossposting.

Two.....you are wrong they do
(Not the site - but in correspondence) Ask Spamcop.

In other words you can't back up what you said with any sort of proof.
I'm not asking them, it's your job to back up what you said.

What other sources are needed to corrobarate the statement.

The statement that posting to multiple groups is spam needs to be backed
up by other sources, other than spamcop. Would you ask one person in the
UK if they liked fish and when they said "yes", claim everyone in Britain
likes fish?

--
Phil KyleT

But, But ah! but quote "SPAMCOP thinks posting to multi NG's is Spam"

I did state that Spamcop etc etc you are trying to miss quote me and I did
think that such an eloquent person such as you might, with your obvious
charm try and re-educate them.. How wrong was I.

Whh on earth did you bother to send this?

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
[...]

I'm not trying to misquote you, I think I've just misinterpreted your
original post. I thought you were arguing for spamcops position. Sorry.

--

Apology accepted......no hard feelings ..made life interesting...now how
about it...?

Any time you like!

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I'm spoken for.

Then you cannot have the brains or balls for it............

A bit like you!

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Turby

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 11:25:46 GMT, ah wrote:

Big Mouth Billy Bass wrote:
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:32:46 GMT, via 2Wvjf.1094$fY3.433@trnddc01,

Why are you posting this in demon.local?

Because it's off-topic. I would have thought that that was obvious.

You'll not be warned again.

What's going to happen? Are yu going to seek him out and slap his legs? I
demand jpegs at least, but a vid would be better.

Don't underestimate our willingness to enforce The Rule.

Considering that most of those people in the video can't hit the
broadside of a barn, the threat seems a bit empty.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
ah

Big Mouth Billy Bass wrote:
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:32:46 GMT, via 2Wvjf.1094$fY3.433@trnddc01,

Why are you posting this in demon.local?

Because it's off-topic. I would have thought that that was obvious.

You'll not be warned again.

What's going to happen? Are yu going to seek him out and slap his legs? I
demand jpegs at least, but a vid would be better.

Don't underestimate our willingness to enforce The Rule.

Considering that most of those people in the video can't hit the
broadside of a barn, the threat seems a bit empty.

Sheer numbers should do.
--
ah
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Milleniumaire

I had another look at a couple of switches and now that it has been
brought to my attention I have found the earth core. In one light
switch it was cut back so that it couldn't be seen without moving the
sleeve. Fortunately, there was enough slack in the cable to allow me
to cut it back. In other switches I found that the earth cable was
wrapped back around the cable and I just hadn't seen it.

So, thanks to your help and advice I have now successfully (and
correctly) wired up the new metal switches and sockets.

Regards.

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Milleniumaire wrote:
I had another look at a couple of switches and now that it has been
brought to my attention I have found the earth core. In one light
switch it was cut back so that it couldn't be seen without moving the
sleeve. Fortunately, there was enough slack in the cable to allow me
to cut it back. In other switches I found that the earth cable was
wrapped back around the cable and I just hadn't seen it.

So, thanks to your help and advice I have now successfully (and
correctly) wired up the new metal switches and sockets.

Result. ;-)

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Beav

"ah" wrote in message

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
[...]

A bunch of "Whooo, whooo's" and a little kid. The amount of intellignece at
that place has no beginning.

--
Beav
OMF#19
VN 750
Zed Thou

mail is beavis dot original at ntlworld dot com (with the obvious changes)

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
Beav

Just hope to **** those numbers aren't anything to do with IQ eh?

--
Beav
OMF#19
VN 750
Zed Thou

mail is beavis dot original at ntlworld dot com (with the obvious changes)

Posted to uk.rec.driving,rec.motorcycles,demon.local,uk.d-i-y
ah

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
Beav wrote:
[...]

You should experience their urban areas sometime.
--
ah

wiring confusion/ouside light James UK diy 1 May 25th 05 04:07 AM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Fitting metal light switches when there is no earth connection Sootbeast UK diy 17 February 19th 05 12:27 AM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM