Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugh

Default DIY satellite tv

Some assistance here would be welcome!
Want to install a satellite tv system, but I'm left a bit perplexed by what
I need to be able to pick up all the usual programmes (BBC1 - 4 and ITV
etc.) as well as foreign stations.

Basically, and we are in London, I want to get programmes from France, Italy
and Spain - so want to know what size dish is needed - is 80cm big enough?
and what receiver? - I've got the Pace DS430N (unsubscribed) in mind - will
that pick up foreign stations?

I also want to know if this same receiver could be used in our house in
Spain (down south) to pick up the local stations as well as French, and
Italian and all the UK ones.

Installing, I shall see to myself (whether it'll work or not is a different
matter) - but gotta give it a go (even to justify posing the question on a
diy board!!)

tia
Hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another Dave

Hugh wrote:
[...]

You might be better posting to alt.satellite.tv.europe

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Another Dave wrote:
Hugh wrote:

[...]

Go here, have a look around then ask any questions, everyone is very
helpful.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/?
What you realy need is a motorised dish and good receiver that will
control the motor. Also to receive Channel four and Five you need a Sky
Freeview card, these will work with a Dragon Cam, but need "recharging
in a Sky box from time to time. All a bit complicated but the afore
mentioned site will help you out. Also you can get help from sellers, I
find Dave at http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/ very helpful, but look
at his FAQs. The only problem I have is subtitles, these are a pain on
ITV satellite, apart from Sky boxes.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

"Broadback" wrote in message
Another Dave wrote:
Hugh wrote:

[...]

Get a copy of 'What Satellite' from WH Smith etc. This often contains useful
information.

A 'Dragon Cam' is a bit of an enthusiast's toy.

Satellite receivers tend to be a compromise in some way. e.g. Do you want
analogue? Do you want CH4&5 which use Sky's encryption, Do you want to be able
to drive a motorised dish - and if so is the motor 36v or DisEqC?

For reception in southern Spain ask in alt.satellite.tv.europe. Likely you need
quite a large dish as the main (BBC) satellite beams are aimed at the UK.

See also uk.tech.tv.sky and uk.tech.digital-tv

http://www.satcure.co.uk/

Sky boxes are good for reception of UK TV channels, - but not much else.

--

Michael Chare