Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Will I ever get planning permission???

Sorry, today I'm mostly ranting!

I've got this porch, a hideous flat roofed 70's DIY nightmare of a blue
crumbling embarrassment. It is so far beyond crap, that if I replaced
it with actual crap, my neighbours would be pleased. I submitted a
planning application in March. 21 weeks later I was told that my
replacement porch was not acceptable, so I had it redrawn as a small
open pitched-roof-timber-frame-on-small-wall-typical-thing you get
round here, and thay are still f*cking around.

OK, this isn't the whole story, but if I was to explain it all, it
would only be more ridiculous. _And_ when I ring the planning dept. my
case officer my case officer will be out of the office for another two
weeks _again_. There must be someone I can complain to?

Apologies

LGF

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

If you want more than a general reply you would have to be much specific.
Having said that the best way is to make and appointment and go and TALK to
the planners.

Regards from Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I first submitted my planning application(s) in the beginning of
March, I left it for 8 weeks and then started phoning every 2 weeks or
so for a chat. After _21_ weeks they said they didn't like my porch. I
must have spoken to them at least half a dozen times and it took that
long for them to decide they didn't like my porch. I have no problem
with their decision, just that they get to mess around doing sod-all
for so long. But that was in July. They are doing it again!

I did however get planning permission to demolish an old shop and
garage/petrol station attached to my poxy little cottage and build a 4
bedroomed house with no trouble at all. Funny how the interest of local
developers spurs the planning process along. But I shall have the last
laugh...I'm not going to sell the land to any of them HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I've got this porch, a hideous flat roofed 70's DIY nightmare of a blue
crumbling embarrassment. It is so far beyond crap, that if I replaced
it with actual crap, my neighbours would be pleased. I submitted a
planning application in March. 21 weeks later I was told that my
replacement porch was not acceptable, so I had it redrawn as a small
open pitched-roof-timber-frame-on-small-wall-typical-thing you get
round here, and thay are still f*cking around.

Are you sure you need permission? You may be able to proceed under permitted
development rights. First check if your house has permitted development
rights (they may have been removed at some point, perhaps at construction,
you might live in a conservation area or listed building etc...). Also check
your development meets the criteria for a Part D exemption (shown below).

Then, assuming it all stacks up, tell them to f*ck off!

Christian.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_4.htm

Permitted development
D. The erection or construction of a porch outside any external door
of a dwellinghouse.
Development not permitted
D.1 Development is not permitted by Class D if-

(a) the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed 3
square metres;

(b) any part of the structure would be more than 3 metres above ground
level; or

(c) any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of
the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

Why are you applying for planning permission?

1. Porches are normally exempt, and
2. If you are replacing an existing (ie repair and maintenance) then
you do not need to apply.

The planning officer will have a line manager. Speak to him/her.
In addition council employees only have about 30 days leave, plus bank
holidays plus flexi-leave (say about 50 days a year), so it is unlikely
that thay will be continually out of the office.

After 8 weeks from the original application, you could have appealed to
the Planning Inspectorate on the grounds of non-determination by the
council.

dg