Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

Default Bayonet gas cooker connection

Just about to buy a cooker with a gas hob. We currently have an all-electric
one. There is a gas pipe bayonet thingy behind our cooker, but it hasn't
been used in over 15 years (maybe never). Is there anything that might need
attention before we try to attach the new cooker? Clean, lubricate, etc. Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

Grumps wrote:

Just about to buy a cooker with a gas hob. We currently have an
all-electric one. There is a gas pipe bayonet thingy behind our cooker,
but it hasn't been used in over 15 years (maybe never). Is there anything
that might need attention before we try to attach the new cooker? Clean,
lubricate, etc. Ta.

Check/clean bayonet, make sure socket is facing downwards and pipework
properly supported.

Check ventilation for cooker is OK (IIRC the spec is in the building regs).

Make sure clearances around and level of cooker are OK (ditto).

Check/fit stability device (chain or L-bracket).

Fit hose to cooker using appropriate sealant (e.g. Boss white, or gas-type
PTFE applied in the correct way). Make sure hose will hang freely and not
subject to damage in any way.

Pressure-drop test gas installation to make sure bayonet connection is OK
and cooker doesn't leak internally.

Check cooker works OK (manufacturer's installation/commissioning
instructions should give procedure). For a hob it'll basically be that the
controls work OK, flames look OK at all settings and don't go out or
noticeably affected (can check working pressure to confirm) with
newly-installed combi running at full hot-water flow at the same time. If
there's a hob lid check that gas goes off and flames go out when lid is
lowered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Owain wrote:

If the gas point is live and suitable, it shouldn't cost much to have
a CORGI registered gas fitter come and connect the cooker up.

A few months ago Comet wanted £80 + VAT.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

All from http://www.bes.co.uk

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:10:57 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

Grumps wrote:

[...]

Agree with all that, but check the gas pipes for leaks before you add the
cooker since you may, unknowingly, have a leaking installation/boiler
before you begin.

How do i fit a 30amp electric cooker? purple pete UK diy 7 November 12th 05 09:18 PM
power limit for connection to a ring main? David Hansen UK diy 2 November 9th 05 09:14 AM
Electric cooker connection petek UK diy 8 March 8th 05 11:23 PM
about the cooker socket Jason UK diy 11 October 27th 04 10:33 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM