Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

Default hanging a clothes rail

we have in our bedroom a little room off the side that acts as a walk
in wardrobe. the previous owner had metal brackets which petrude about
12 inches from the wall and on the end have an eyelet for the pole to
go through (they are attached to the wall and as such the length they
petrude allow garments to be hund without touching the wall. As my
girlfriends collection of clothes has grown the whole damn bracket has
ripped off the wall and taking big chunks of what I believe is lime and
horsehair plaster (its pale and has hairs in it!). I am basically
having a nightmare re attaching these things , I.ve drilled new holes
but the plaster cust ripped apart leaving a massive hole (any tips for
drilling successfully into lime and horsehair plaster). i then filled
these hole let the filler dry, re-drilled quite successfully used those
uno wall plugs (grey ones) and size 8 screws about 2 inches long (much
shorter than what previous owner had in by the way but he seems to have
used blue wall plugs which i would assume are a size up from the brown
however I cant find those anywhere). i rehung it successfully however
it just ripped a couple of massive new holes on the wall.
I've sort of figured out im gonna have to go deeper into the brick and
therefore need some advice should i use a standard bit in the drill for
drilling through the filler then change to a masonary bit with hammer
action on contact with the masonary. then how deep can i go as this
wall is solid and adjoins to next doors property. my idea is to bury
decent size wall plug (or those metal anchor) deep into the brick and
then use a long screw. any advice or recommendations on type of plug
length of screw to hold a about a 5ft pole full of clothes.

Sorry this is so long but I need some help!!!!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Nelson

In article .com,
"Neil" writes:
we have in our bedroom a little room off the side that acts as a walk
in wardrobe. the previous owner had metal brackets which petrude about
12 inches from the wall and on the end have an eyelet for the pole to
go through (they are attached to the wall and as such the length they
petrude allow garments to be hund without touching the wall. As my
girlfriends collection of clothes has grown the whole damn bracket has
ripped off the wall and taking big chunks of what I believe is lime and
horsehair plaster (its pale and has hairs in it!). I am basically
having a nightmare re attaching these things

[snip tale of woe]

Sorry this is so long but I need some help!!!!!!!!!

I suspect it may be simpler to start from scratch with a replacement home
and a replacement girlfriend.
--
SAm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Neil wrote:
we have in our bedroom a little room off the side that acts as a walk
in wardrobe. the previous owner had metal brackets which petrude about
12 inches from the wall and on the end have an eyelet for the pole to
go through (they are attached to the wall and as such the length they
petrude allow garments to be hund without touching the wall. As my
girlfriends collection of clothes has grown the whole damn bracket has
ripped off the wall and taking big chunks of what I believe is lime and
horsehair plaster (its pale and has hairs in it!). I am basically
having a nightmare re attaching these things ,

Go and buy two pieces of suitable planed timber from your local
supplier. Attach these to the wall, from floor to ceiling. Screw
your brackets onto the timber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Neil wrote:

[...]

Is there a wall at each end of the rail? If so, why not support the rail off
those rather than by cantilever brackets attached to the back wall?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

one wall is straight and could accomadate this however another is
slopping with a velux type window in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil

what would you suggest is suitable timber?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Neil wrote:
what would you suggest is suitable timber?

To a degree that depends on the size of your brackets! I should think
that the width of the base of the bracket + 1" (25mm) would be a good
starting point, by oh, erm, ah, wild guess say 1" (25mm). You might
not *need* them full height of the room! Softwood.

rail and stile bit problem Vic Baron Woodworking 3 October 6th 05 05:03 PM
Gas clothes dryer not heating good Danny Kewl Home Ownership 5 February 22nd 05 04:03 AM
Chair rail return gntry Home Repair 2 November 28th 04 12:38 AM
strange shaped shower rail NC UK diy 2 July 31st 03 12:33 PM
Removing a hydronic towel heater rail help? Bob Mannix UK diy 1 July 10th 03 03:01 PM