DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/133575-henry-vacuum-cleaner-how-fit-new-motor.html)

Eusebius November 30th 05 08:09 PM

Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor

My Henry HVR200 lost his suction and then just cut out. The mains fuse
was OK, so looks like the motor. How can I check it IS the motor - are
there any other fuses inside which might have blown? what could have
brought this on - for example I use cheap bags which are stated to fit
Henry - do I need to use official bags? Could be old age - it's at
least 10 to 15 yrs old. anything I should know about fitting the motor
replacement? Is there an updated motor model that's preferable to the
one that came with mine? Thanks for any help, Andy Evans

Chris Bacon November 30th 05 08:24 PM

Eusebius wrote:
My Henry HVR200 lost his suction and then just cut out. The mains fuse
was OK, so looks like the motor. How can I check it IS the motor - are
there any other fuses inside which might have blown? what could have
brought this on - for example I use cheap bags which are stated to fit
Henry - do I need to use official bags? Could be old age - it's at
least 10 to 15 yrs old. anything I should know about fitting the motor
replacement? Is there an updated motor model that's preferable to the
one that came with mine? Thanks for any help, Andy Evans

Get in touch with Numatic via their helpline, they're very,
erm, helpful!

Mr Fuxit November 30th 05 08:48 PM

Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor

what could have
brought this on

It could well be the wipers in the rewind mechanism. The tracks will
need cleaning and the contacts might need to be bent to make a firmer
contact with the tracks.

powerstation November 30th 05 09:21 PM

Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor

"Mr Fuxit" wrote in message
oups.com...
what could have
brought this on

It could well be the wipers in the rewind mechanism. The tracks will
need cleaning and the contacts might need to be bent to make a firmer
contact with the tracks.

They usually snap off

Peter Taylor November 30th 05 09:55 PM

Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor

"Eusebius" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Henry HVR200 lost his suction and then just cut out. The mains fuse
was OK, so looks like the motor. How can I check it IS the motor - are
there any other fuses inside which might have blown? what could have
brought this on - for example I use cheap bags which are stated to fit
Henry - do I need to use official bags? Could be old age - it's at
least 10 to 15 yrs old. anything I should know about fitting the motor
replacement? Is there an updated motor model that's preferable to the
one that came with mine? Thanks for any help, Andy Evans

Andy, before you do anything, try it again now it's cooled down. There's a
thermal cut-out on mine that resets itself when it's cool enough, it
sometimes takes quite a while. My Henry's a bit younger than yours but it's
worth a go.

Peter

John December 1st 05 12:28 AM

Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor

"Eusebius" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Henry HVR200 lost his suction and then just cut out. The mains fuse
was OK, so looks like the motor. How can I check it IS the motor - are
there any other fuses inside which might have blown? what could have
brought this on - for example I use cheap bags which are stated to fit
Henry - do I need to use official bags? Could be old age - it's at
least 10 to 15 yrs old. anything I should know about fitting the motor
replacement? Is there an updated motor model that's preferable to the
one that came with mine? Thanks for any help, Andy Evans

My Henry has a thermal cut-out embedded in the windings. Long periods of use
with restricted airflow have resulted in it operating and stopping the
motor. A (longish) cool down period and it reset iself ok.
The use of cheapo bags, a clogged cloth filter or restricted flow for some
other reason could be the cause of your troubles

david lang December 1st 05 12:43 AM

Mr Fuxit wrote:
what could have
brought this on

It could well be the wipers in the rewind mechanism. The tracks will
need cleaning and the contacts might need to be bent to make a firmer
contact with the tracks.

If it's 10 - 15 years old it won't have the rewind, it's not been out that
long.

Most likely the brushes, might as well change the motor, easy job. Cheapest
place I know http://www.wcsuk.com/pages/wcsindex.html

Dave

Eusebius December 1st 05 02:37 AM

Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor

You're right on the money here - it was the thermal cutout. Motor
obviously got too hot. So I need to find out what's overheating it.
I've never cleaned the filter - is this the next step? the filter's the
white fabric thing that has a cross shaped plastic holder and fits just
under the motor, above the bag? Can I wash it or should I use some
other kind of liquid. I presume it has to dry pretty well. Where do I
go from here? thanks so far! Andy

david lang December 1st 05 11:11 AM

Eusebius wrote:
You're right on the money here - it was the thermal cutout. Motor
obviously got too hot. So I need to find out what's overheating it.
I've never cleaned the filter - is this the next step?

Yes, the motor in a Henry is a direct cooled one. In other words the air
being sucked in is blown out over the motor to keep it cool. If the filter
is clogged the airflow drops, so the cooling effect is reduced.

The white nylon type filter can be cleaned, scrub it with a brush & some
detergent, but make sure it's bone dry before its used again - or replace
it.

Dave

sPoNiX December 1st 05 01:00 PM

Henry vacuum cleaner - how to fit new motor

On 30 Nov 2005 11:09:46 -0800, "Eusebius"
wrote:

My Henry HVR200 lost his suction and then just cut out. The mains fuse
was OK, so looks like the motor. How can I check it IS the motor - are
there any other fuses inside which might have blown? what could have
brought this on - for example I use cheap bags which are stated to fit
Henry - do I need to use official bags? Could be old age - it's at
least 10 to 15 yrs old. anything I should know about fitting the motor
replacement? Is there an updated motor model that's preferable to the
one that came with mine? Thanks for any help, Andy Evans

There are four or five different versions of motor, I'm not 100% sure
if they are interchangeable. Best to phone Numatic.

Henrys are fitted with thermal cut-outs and I don't know if they
automatically reset or whether they are a once only device. They are
attached to the side of the stator so worth testing it with a meter
before buying a new motor.

I'm surprised that it's only lasted 15 years! If it was one of the
cheap tub vacs I could understand it. You must have given it some real
abuse!

sponix