Posted to uk.d-i-y
JS

Default Sugar soap or sandpaper for interior door ?

I want to paint some interior doors and skirting boards. They were
last painted about 15 years ago and are doors to a bathroom and to an
airing cupboard. Apart from looking jaded the painted surface is not
damaged.

I'll probably use one coat of oil-based undercoat and one coat of
non-drip gloss topcoat.

I don't want to go for an award winning job! But at the same time I
don't want to cut corners unwisely.

QUESTION 1: For preparation can I just sand these down with a fine
glasspaper? Or do I need to also use sugar soap? If so then would
the sugar soap be applied before or after the glasspapering?

QUESTION 2: Is it worth using any special bathroom paint? The
ordinary gloss paint used before is not mould stained or anything
like that but it would be nice if the whiteness could be retained for
as long as possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

JS wrote:
I want to paint some interior doors and skirting boards. They were
last painted about 15 years ago and are doors to a bathroom and to an
airing cupboard. Apart from looking jaded the painted surface is not
damaged.

I'll probably use one coat of oil-based undercoat and one coat of
non-drip gloss topcoat.

I don't want to go for an award winning job! But at the same time I
don't want to cut corners unwisely.

QUESTION 1: For preparation can I just sand these down with a fine
glasspaper? Or do I need to also use sugar soap? If so then would
the sugar soap be applied before or after the glasspapering?

Wash off as you say, then a light rub with fine glass paper to
de-nib.

QUESTION 2: Is it worth using any special bathroom paint? The
ordinary gloss paint used before is not mould stained or anything
like that but it would be nice if the whiteness could be retained for
as long as possible.

It's not worth using any special bathroom paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

JS wrote:

QUESTION 2: Is it worth using any special bathroom paint? The
ordinary gloss paint used before is not mould stained or anything
like that but it would be nice if the whiteness could be retained for
as long as possible.

Whilst it is not specifically bathroom paint, I have used water based paint
in our bathroom as it tends to yellow less.
For a reason I am not clear on, oil based paints seem to yellow in low light
situations (which many bathrooms seem to be).

Be warned, water based paint is not as easy to use/tends to show up brush
strokes more than the alternatives.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

TheScullster wrote:
JS wrote:
QUESTION 2: Is it worth using any special bathroom paint? The
ordinary gloss paint used before is not mould stained or anything
like that but it would be nice if the whiteness could be retained for
as long as possible.

Whilst it is not specifically bathroom paint, I have used water based paint
in our bathroom as it tends to yellow less.
For a reason I am not clear on, oil based paints seem to yellow in low light
situations (which many bathrooms seem to be).

Be warned, water based paint is not as easy to use/tends to show up brush
strokes more than the alternatives.

It's also not very glossy (although it has a sheen) and is not
very tough.

Cue loads of people saying how great this sht is. I have used
it in lets, but would not use it at home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
JS wrote:

QUESTION 2: Is it worth using any special bathroom paint? The
ordinary gloss paint used before is not mould stained or anything
like that but it would be nice if the whiteness could be retained for
as long as possible.

Whilst it is not specifically bathroom paint, I have used water based paint
in our bathroom as it tends to yellow less.
For a reason I am not clear on, oil based paints seem to yellow in low light
situations (which many bathrooms seem to be).

Be warned, water based paint is not as easy to use/tends to show up brush
strokes more than the alternatives.

Phil

It also has much poorer adhesion than oil based gloss, so surface prep.
becomes much more important. (Also much lower gloss, almost silk
finish, ime.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

TheScullster wrote:
JS wrote:

QUESTION 2: Is it worth using any special bathroom paint? The
ordinary gloss paint used before is not mould stained or anything
like that but it would be nice if the whiteness could be retained for
as long as possible.

Whilst it is not specifically bathroom paint, I have used water based
paint in our bathroom as it tends to yellow less.
For a reason I am not clear on, oil based paints seem to yellow in
low light situations (which many bathrooms seem to be).

Be warned, water based paint is not as easy to use/tends to show up
brush strokes more than the alternatives.

Phil

It also shows up grubby hand prints when you frequently shut&open the door.
:-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Soap dispenser miamicuse Home Repair 2 November 27th 05 03:30 AM
does sugar soap deteriorate with age? ceg UK diy 7 September 20th 05 03:53 PM
sugar soap [email protected] UK diy 5 August 1st 05 11:01 PM
OT - Electrical - but not diy Andy Wade UK diy 7 September 6th 04 12:50 PM
Removing Sugar Soap Residue Nathan UK diy 1 December 28th 03 05:02 PM